Match fishing - any point entering without a pole ?

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
been fishing club matches this year not framed yet used to fishing deeper water then the shallower club waters trouble now working weekends will have to try in the week if they restart
used to be a bloke up flask years ago used to sit in a deckchair and fish a sinking bubble float for roach called him deck chair bill won a lot of matches up there and other venues

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
been fishing club matches this year not framed yet used to fishing deeper water then the shallower club waters trouble now working weekends will have to try in the week if they restart
used to be a bloke up flask years ago used to sit in a deckchair and fish a sinking bubble float for roach called him deck chair bill won a lot of matches up there and other venues
??????????????????????????

peardrop

I know a few guys that win a lot on the tip , but they are brilliant on it, you’re average Joe angler on the tip is never going to compete with top level open anglers on the pole on pole venues , hence my above post
Iv'e got to ask chefster, what makes a venue a "pole venue"?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Iv'e got to ask chefster, what makes a venue a "pole venue"?
Well I tend to class snake lakes as more pole venues, or other lakes where pole shallow/mugging tactics produce big weights..... that’s not to say you won’t catch on the feeder, just not really going to compete unless you are an absolute “Tip” master

baggy

Mark Saunders
Some of regular framers at Stafford Moor never set up a pole on Tanners or Woodpecker. In the summer they either set up multiple pellet wagglers or bomb and pellet.

dave brittain 1

Having not fished for a year and having sold my pole, I booked into a match at todber just before lock down. I didn't draw well but I didn't let that phase me as I'm just as happy fishing the waggler as I am the lead. To cut a long story short although i had a great days fishing I got absolutely mullered by pole weights throughout.

Putting it simply you can't compete with micro potting and lifting and dropping bait on a pin drop at 14.5 -16m which did the damage on the day or compete the end pegs who both fished the margins. Add the silvers weights on dead reds and cupped groundbait and you'll quickly see that unless you're fishing a river or long range feeder venue, you'll be up against it before you start

dave brittain 1

Some of regular framers at Stafford Moor never set up a pole on Tanners or Woodpecker. In the summer they either set up multiple pellet wagglers or bomb and pellet.
Mark, I think I may pay a few visits when we get back on the bank as it's still one of my favourite venues and has changed considerably since I used to fish it regularly when Andy owned it. I just have to avoid corners there as I draw them more regularly than Dave Stockton and usually the wrong end :)