Match fishing - any point entering without a pole ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Enjoyed reading all the posts.
Teetering on entering a local match.
I also love my feeder work.our local is nearly all carp not f1s and some big lumps.
I have a margin pole but dont use often last summer I did very well with a method in margins also.
Got the keepnets just nerves stopping me.
Fishing last week next to a guy who had only been fishing a few months and he enters .
He said its just a nice day .
Dont let nerves get in the way ,you have nothing to worry about ,enjoy your day ,fish to your best ability on your usual method ,relax and enjoy . Its a day out ,most are friendly and will only be thinking how they can catch more fish.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Wife can see what will happen.
If I do owt it is full hog.
She says you will end up getting a van .
Airity pole like i sold.
She said not to sell it.
?
Shouldnt have sold your Airity ,?

rudd

Site Supporter
Whilst the pole generally wins a higher percentage of matches than any other method - Drennan team England taught the continental teams how to fish the slider and bought home team and individual golds a few times.
Every method had a time, place and venue!

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Wife can see what will happen.
If I do owt it is full hog.
She says you will end up getting a van .
Airity pole like i sold.
She said not to sell it.
?
I'm the same mate, since I re-started pleasure fishing in October I've bought a seatbox, a pole, pole rollers, a feeder rod, two new reels, a waterproof suit, boots, about a million hooks, keepnets, all the attachments for the box, side table, a barrow, hundreds of feeders, I've joined a fishing club and fished my first match. I've literally watched thousands of videos on youtube, and spent hundreds of hours on here. It's a massive learning curve, but this is a great forum with countless folk who are all too happy to share their knowledge. I've just started experimenting with making my own pole rigs, and I can't stop ordering pole floats online.

I think I might have a bit of a problem....

Marker50

Site Supporter
Think i shiuld start a post reasons your partner is a keeper.
A few years back i said to wife fancy a run to norfolk from sheffield to pick a pole up.
A nearly new airity.
Ok she says.
On way there she asks is it expensive.
Nervous reply about 2k.
Reply from wife ohh ok thats a lot for a fishing rod? then says what do you fancy for tea when we get back.
At that point .shes a good wife ?

Marker50

Site Supporter
For some reason i sold the airity and the absolute 36 etc etc and went more into korum style.but set up match style

rudd

Site Supporter
I'm the same mate, since I re-started pleasure fishing in October I've bought a seatbox, a pole, pole rollers, a feeder rod, two new reels, a waterproof suit, boots, about a million hooks, keepnets, all the attachments for the box, side table, a barrow, hundreds of feeders, I've joined a fishing club and fished my first match. I've literally watched thousands of videos on youtube, and spent hundreds of hours on here. It's a massive learning curve, but this is a great forum with countless folk who are all too happy to share their knowledge. I've just started experimenting with making my own pole rigs, and I can't stop ordering pole floats online.

@Stewie74 , there are alot of pole floats / sets, 2nd hand on ebay.
2nd hand? - most probably never used as anglers over bought (spare rigs, spare floats just in case one breaks), want to look the part with trays full or just have to have the latest model / pattern!

CarpCatcher86

As has been said, poles aren't the be all and end all. I won many matches in my youth with a waggler rod and the occasional feeder rod. I'll grant you I did get a few weird looks and comments from the pole boys, things changed a bit when I started winning matches. In some cases the cost maybe threw a few people, just one of their poles cost more than my feeder and float rod and reel, and probably my nets chair and all my end tckle too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Does seem the price of poles can be a bit of a barrier to entry. From the outside looking in a decent pole costs as much as several more than decent rods.

bettsfan

I fully understand the nerves that Marker50 refers to. I am often a mess before it starts depending on the company. It soon wears off though, just remember to fish your own way and be steady in your approach. Too much rushing and you will not fish efficiently. Try and do some homework on the location and don't be afraid to ask (some may tell you after the match rather than before though). At the end of the day just try your best to feel content at how you fished regardless of the position you finish. I have rarely been in a match without good company either side of me, that's all part of the enjoyment but it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Of course you get knobs in all walks of life but for 5 hours I find it easy to blank them out if required.

IMO Go for it and don't be afraid to report back here with how you get on. Just reading about Stewie's return to fishing has been a breath of fresh air (and I hope that doesn't sound patronising in any way) and yes we can all learn a thing or two from each other.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From admittedly just a quick glance on bobco it seems the cheapest non margin poles are still a good £500 which would be 2 very good rod and reel set ups. I'm assuming if entry level poles are like entry level rods they probably aren't great so I guess you have to spend a fair bit more to get a genuinely good one. Got to put a few people off.

Was speaking to a guy pole fishing on the Thames the other day and he said his match pole cost more than all his match running line set ups put together ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter

Really worth scouring FB marketplace - these little beauties arrived today for a bargain £7, perfect for the margin pole and whip

20C06EC7-265B-4E57-B820-33B9578E554D.jpeg

OldTaff

Site Supporter
7 quid all them ?

Yep - listing was over a month old & he had about a hundred and was originally selling them off at 75p each or £3.50 per bundle of 5, but these were the last three bundles he had left and just wanted them gone so did them for £7 inc p&p

OldTaff

Site Supporter
They are all between .45g and 1.0g so I think they’ll suit the lake for carp on the pole and the river for roach, etc on the whip

rudd

Site Supporter
Good angler with an average pole will beat a s**t angler with an expensive pole.
The cost of a pole is irrelevant.
Most of the time this can be true but when 17.5m is needed to reach features - the average pole will come up three meters short!
Mind you, I remember seeing a (s**t, and he was awful) club member drawing a flyer one Sunday, he was even more pleased with draw as he had a new expensive pole and could reach a bush at around 16m where the chub hid underneath.
Whilst setting up there was an almighty crack, he broke the pole around the no 6 or 7 section!
Turned out he only had one roller set way to close to him with no4 taking the strain wedged in a pole sock? with the butt sections having no support?!

rudd

Site Supporter
Most of the time this can be true but when 17.5m is needed to reach features - the average pole will come up three meters short!
Mind you, I remember seeing a (s**t, and he was awful) club member drawing a flyer one Sunday, he was even more pleased with draw as he had a new expensive pole and could reach a bush at around 16m where the chub hid underneath.
Whilst setting up there was an almighty crack, he broke the pole around the no 6 or 7 section!
Turned out he only had one roller set way to close to him with no4 taking the strain wedged in a pole sock? with the butt sections having no support?!
Casting my mind back - he actually cried, packed up and I do not recall ever seeing him again!
Mind you, did see a good few pleasure anglers who admittedly could fish try their hand at match fishing but only the once! Also seen specimen anglers turn up and fish rather well sitting on a chair with a waggler and or feeder rod!