Match fishing - any point entering without a pole ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone - really appreciate all the feedback.

I agree that venue and time of year are going to play a huge factor in what approach is most likely to frame.

My plan is to keep up my weekly sessions for purely pleasure but probably pay much more attention to fine tuning my approach to achieve consistent results. None of the local clubs open their books much before May so then I can try maybe joining Maidstone Victory if they have vacancies and possibly have a look at a a couple of their club matches.

Probably just got a bit overawed from watching things like Fish’o and the sporting allstars matches where it seemed to be pole or nothing on commercials. Oh and looking at lots of shiny carbon tubes online :LOL:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I have a margin pole - yet to be fished as I’ve been learning the method feeder.
A margin is perfect to start with ,just to get used to the feel of a pole and shipping in and out and taking the top 2 off and back on . Also getting used to a roller or 2 . Good luck oldTaff ,im sure you will do well and remember there are thousands of youtube videos to help with the pole

OldTaff

Site Supporter
A margin is perfect to start with ,just to get used to the feel of a pole and shipping in and out and taking the top 2 off and back on . Also getting used to a roller or 2 . Good luck oldTaff ,im sure you will do well and remember there are thousands of youtube videos to help with the pole

I used to have a pole - 13.5m Maver that I loved and used all the time - but that was bought about 20yrs ago and sold 15yrs ago when I packed up so I’m no stranger to pole fishing, although back then you needed a spine of steel and muscles like Garth to hold 13.5m for 5 hours ;)

The trove of knowledge from @neilofthenene has been invaluable too - this forum is worth its weight in gold.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
The only matches you would suffer would be F1 dominant venues , but then if they had a good head of big carp you could fish for them down the margins with a method feeder.
The other disadvantage would be fishing for skimmers on silvers matches but then you could fish a waggler for Roach shallow which is a good tactic.

I have won quite a few opens on just a feeder rod, mainly in summer, so it's not like some people may think just a winter winning tactic, so confident I have been on the bomb and pellets the matches were won without even setting a pole up, especially good during the summer as you don't have trouble with foul hookers like you do on the pole when there is to many fish in your peg, you can feed heavier drawing fish of pole anglers who are frugal feeding, it's all about being confident that you can make it work.
So no, you don't need a pole to fish matches and you can frame regularly not using pole. Just avoid F1 carp and skimmers as target fish.

rob6709

Site Supporter
Poles aren't the 'be-all end-all' I've won many a match using the waggler in the margins and the feeder for a bit of distance work. How do you think anglers won matches before poles made an appearance?
I would imagine plenty before rods and reels were invented.....

rob6709

Site Supporter
My advice to you is get a pole. I wouldn't be without one on a match the same as I wouldn't be without running line gear on a match.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Enjoyed reading all the posts.
Teetering on entering a local match.
I also love my feeder work.our local is nearly all carp not f1s and some big lumps.
I have a margin pole but dont use often last summer I did very well with a method in margins also.
Got the keepnets just nerves stopping me.
Fishing last week next to a guy who had only been fishing a few months and he enters .
He said its just a nice day .

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I also love my feeder work.our local is nearly all carp not f1s and some big lumps.
I have a margin pole but dont use often last summer I did very well with a method in margins also.
Fishing last week next to a guy who had only been fishing a few months and he enters .

Id really recommend having a go, match fishing can be great fun because you get to measure yourself against what else is being caught that day.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Ta mate.
Its not the fishing that makes me nervous.
Its daft things like say im on a peg without car behind .not many by the way and I have to make a couple of trips.
Suppose its not wanting to look a k##b.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Ta mate.
Its not the fishing that makes me nervous.
Its daft things like say im on a peg without car behind .not many by the way and I have to make a couple of trips.
Suppose its not wanting to look a k##b.
Sometimes at Tunnel you have to make 4 trips backwards and forwards to the car, same for everyone, I don’t get why you think that makes you look silly???

Marker50

Site Supporter
Thanks mate.
I just have visions of everyone else trolly strate out of van loaded.
So you often do a few trips ?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter

Nothing to be nervous about, just read the rules before you fish a match, turn up early and maybe mention to some one when you arrive it's your first match and if they would steer you in the right direction, most people will oblige, it is a nice day out, so many matchmen get used to fishing in company with matches they loose interest fishing alone pleasure fishing.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks mate.
If I’m at Tunnel never take a trolley, some pegs you can park behind, some you can’t , I always have a lot of gear, and just take as many trips as it takes, sometimes 4-6 trips, same for everyone, the walks are that short it’s not worth the hassle of loading up a trolley

Marker50

Site Supporter
Thankyou chaps.
I actualy think you have a point.
The wife says i must be the most compative person ever even with nowt at stake.
So i think it would have more intrest for me

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Thanks mate.
I entered my first match a couple of weeks back.

Trust me, everyone else will be so busy getting themselves sorted in time for the start that they'll be pretty unlikely to even notice you and whether you make 2 or 24 trips to the car. I can't remember what anyone else was doing apart from the bloke who was unloading next to me in the car park, and the bloke I was pegged next to. Both really nice blokes, made me feel very welcome as a newcomer.

Worst case scenario, Angling direct sell a decent enough barrow for 85 notes, I bought one and got all my kit on it. It did make things a lot easier, but I could have managed without one. Just don't forget to buy some bungees to secure your mountain of kit.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thankyou chaps.
I actualy think you have a point.
The wife says i must be the most compative person ever even with nowt at stake.
So i think it would have more intrest for me
Just take the plunge mate and have a go, I tend to fish opens mostly and everyone is great , I think clubs can be more cliquey,but easier to compete in

Marker50

Site Supporter
Wife can see what will happen.
If I do owt it is full hog.
She says you will end up getting a van .
Airity pole like i sold.
She said not to sell it.
?