Match fishing - any point entering without a pole ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not just winter !! Last year I won an open at Tunnel, with something like 170lb fishing shallow, the guy 2 pegs away was 2nd with a big 160lb - on the feeder !! These guys who are good on the feeder are on another level at it than me, land on the same little spot all day, never cast wrong, never snag up etc etc
I have a mental picture of Tunnel being around 14m across. I take it some lakes ( there’s a few isn’t there ) are wider than this ? Any open water as such Gazza ?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I have a mental picture of Tunnel being around 14m across. I take it some lakes ( there’s a few isn’t there ) are wider than this ? Any open water as such Gazza ?
House an top have some open water, most pools are between 13-17 m wide, but these guys can drop they’re feeder right up the mud on snake lakes, same spot every time ?‍♂️And if you’re good on feeder, it’s easier than fishing 17.5m pole , you won’t catch much at Tunnel on the waggler

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If you pick your venues, you may not need a pole at all. Very occasionally, I think about entering the odd match on the local river circuit. Whilst the odd competitor might take a pole on the off chance, the majority don't even bother. I may not compete at all, but it would not be for the lack of a pole.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
House an top have some open water, most pools are between 13-17 m wide, but these guys can drop they’re feeder right up the mud on snake lakes, same spot every time ?‍♂️And if you’re good on feeder, it’s easier than fishing 17.5m pole , you won’t catch much at Tunnel on the waggler
Not having a 17.5m pole I’d have to fish a bomb or feeder and if anyone asks why I’m throwing all over the far bank I’d have to tell them that it’s the Yorkshire way of dobbing with a feeder. Have you not heard of it ? It’s a skill in itself. Works on our waters. ??

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not having a 17.5m pole I’d have to fish a bomb or feeder and if anyone asks why I’m throwing all over the far bank I’d have to tell them that it’s the Yorkshire way of dobbing with a feeder. Have you not heard of it ? It’s a skill in itself. Works on our waters. ??
I’m ok at fishing 17.5 , for spells dobbing in the winter but couldn’t do it all match, it’s a ball breaker ??and obviously in the summer you don’t need to

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Poles aren't the 'be-all end-all' I've won many a match using the waggler in the margins and the feeder for a bit of distance work. How do you think anglers won matches before poles made an appearance?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Poles aren't the 'be-all end-all' I've won many a match using the waggler in the margins and the feeder for a bit of distance work. How do you think anglers won matches before poles made an appearance?
I wonder what percentage of matches are won with the pole against rod n reel these days. Most anglers would probably think pole but, I think we’d be surprised.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I wonder what percentage of matches are won with the pole against rod n reel these days. Most anglers would probably think pole but, I think we’d be surprised.

Take the pole out of these match anglers hands, then give them a waggler to use. I wonder how many of them would just stand there scratching their heads wondering what it is and how to use it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Take the pole out of these match anglers hands, then give them a waggler to use. I wonder how many of them would just stand there scratching their heads wondering what it is and how to use it.
It’s not our generation anymore mate. Young uns today are born holding 16m of carbon.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

I think you would be surprised. A good angler is a good angler.

There are always days when rod & line, be it legering or float fishing, will outscore the pole. But as has been said, you do need to pick your venue, develop a high level of skill with your chosen weapon and know when to use it.