Match fishing - any point entering without a pole ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m getting the itch to fish matches again - it was bound to happen eventually even though I promised myself it wouldn’t and I was only starting back up to teach my son and pleasure fish.

The thing is the more match reports I read and the more videos I watch the more I am convinced that without a pole there is no point.

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to be pools fodder - I have been in the past plenty of times - but the thought of going into a match with little or no hope because of a lack of kit doesn’t appeal.

Do people regard a pole as a match essential or am I being overly swayed by what I’m reading ?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I've won winter opens just fishing a bomb rod but it depends on where you're fishing, in the summer it would be the opposite for me and fish the pole.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’m getting the itch to fish matches again - it was bound to happen eventually even though I promised myself it wouldn’t and I was only starting back up to teach my son and pleasure fish.

The thing is the more match reports I read and the more videos I watch the more I am convinced that without a pole there is no point.

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to be pools fodder - I have been in the past plenty of times - but the thought of going into a match with little or no hope because of a lack of kit doesn’t appeal.

Do people regard a pole as a match essential or am I being overly swayed by what I’m reading ?
You don’t need a pole to win matches, but you need to be good at what you do , I know anglers who regularly win at Tunnel Barn Farm and Toft farm purely just fishing the feeder, but they are very, very good at what they do

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's a case of picking your venues to suit your approach and strengths.
Also dependent on the time of year. For example at Alders Farm, in Summer my go to choice is the Pole with the waggler as back up, while at this time of the year the feeder/bomb is my main and often only approach.

Total

Site Supporter
It's a case of picking your venues to suit your approach and strengths.
Also dependent on the time of year. For example at Alders Farm, in Summer my go to choice is the Pole with the waggler as back up, while at this time of the year the feeder/bomb is my main and often only approach.

Waggler in cooler months if conditions on venue allow?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
yesterday proved to me how i need to fish the feeder & bomb more in the winter, i love fishing that method and can better better than most which makes a huge difference! just a confidence thing has stopped me fishing it more but that has now changed! think we get blinded/set in ours ways a bit now to be honest.

also never fished any of these lakes in winter and huge learning curve for me, its fun but also ive already proved some of the things im told that dont work do work!

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Waggler in cooler months if conditions on venue allow?
Exactly Mark, horses for courses. :upthumb: A good few years ago I had a very decent run of brown envelopes (16 in a row ) coming my way fishing the Snake at Wylands during the winter simply by flicking a Canal Grey across as opposed to waving a pole over their heads. ;)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not just winter !! Last year I won an open at Tunnel, with something like 170lb fishing shallow, the guy 2 pegs away was 2nd with a big 160lb - on the feeder !! These guys who are good on the feeder are on another level at it than me, land on the same little spot all day, never cast wrong, never snag up etc etc

Total

Site Supporter
@Peter ......That's some going Peter (16 in a row).....:)......Used to love that snake at Wylands. Won a few quid there myself....:love:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
These guys who are good on the feeder are on another level at it than me, land on the same little spot all day, never cast wrong, never snag up etc etc
Spot on Gaz, I sat behind Nick Speed on the JJL at Alders and he had never seen the place before and he took it apart on the method while all around him fished the pole.
He loves to chat and it opened my eyes to a few wrinkles that were very obvious when he explained them. ;)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Peter ......That's some going Peter (16 in a row).....:)......Used to love that snake at Wylands. Won a few quid there myself....:love:
Only 4 wins Mark but always framed. :upthumb: That was back in the day on the original Snake before it was extended.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Personally I no longer fish matches but like others have said if you choose your venues carefully and be good at your chosen method then there is every chance of being able to compete without owning a pole and sometimes by doing something different to everyone else can pay dividends

Total

Site Supporter
Not just winter !! Last year I won an open at Tunnel, with something like 170lb fishing shallow, the guy 2 pegs away was 2nd with a big 160lb - on the feeder !! These guys who are good on the feeder are on another level at it than me, land on the same little spot all day, never cast wrong, never snag up etc etc

It is possible, and I've really had to work hard on my running line fishing because of a bad back with a long pole.

To a certain extent it's simplified my fishing and reacquainted my old skills to the fore.....I'll still pack a pole for the warmer months, but it gets less use year on year....

Total

Site Supporter
Only 4 wins Mark but always framed. :upthumb: That was back in the day on the original Snake before it was extended.

That was a while ago (before the snake extension).....Remembers for a good while after it was extended the fish wouldn't spread out as expected...:ROFLMAO:

bettsfan

As chefster said 'be good in what you can do' If you stay in a 'comfort zone' that you are familiar with you will generally fish better anyway. A couple of years ago I drew a Corner Peg, took 1 look and ditn't bother setting up other than for a feeder rod. Quite a few odd looks and banter going on around as I had nearly an hour spare before the All In, 5 hours later, 116lb odd weighed in and a win and still called One Rod to this day. On the other hand I have fished matches where I wished I was better on the pole especially when battered off the next peg!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bit of a guess here as I don’t fish them but there are frequently matches on the Thames here where people don’t touch a pole and win but the vast majority of them do have one just in case.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Match yesterday - which was, admittedly, rather dictated by the weather - saw first place go to a guy fishing the feeder, second on the feeder/waggler and third and fourth on the pole.

On our club matches there are some who never fish the pole (don't own one), some who rarely use it and some suffering from advanced poleitis using it when other methods would be far more suitable. All have framed at some time or other and, as others have said, that's very venue dependent.

You can pick up a cheap margin pole for a hundred quid and that will at least give you a few more options on commercial fisheries.

Simon