match at the mangawara

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodge1

This venue is one that few outside NZ would know.The day was hot with temperatures in the high 20s.blue skys and the lightest of breazes.The river is 20--25 meters wide and had a slow flow.As I peged out there were plenty of fish rising and moving in the sides.18 anglers turned out which is about normal.Match started at 9/30 and I had an eel straight away.2nd put in at 6meters and I snaged some dead weed on the bottom.3rd and 4th were the same.In front of me was an old weed bed out of sight but causing havoc and I peged out!A look up and down the river and confirmed that most were having a good day with mainly rudd and catfish {bull head].I did catch a couple of small koi around 2lb one was foul hooked through the dorsal fin ,it felt more like a 10lb fish.At weigh in I had 11lb5oz but it was not going to help my points for the summer series.The weights did not match the early indications but all caught fair weights.
1st Alan johansen 26lb
2nd Angus Sutherland19lb5oz
3rd Mike Buckley 17lb3oz
4th Dennis Brewin 17lb

martin.

Account Locked
hi
its great to see this report from New Zealand must be the first
as i dont think any of us have fished the venue please would it be possible to give a brief description on venue,method,baits ect
it will be interesting to see any differences,methods ect.
also WELCOME to the mad MDs just keep the reports coming

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

lodge1

Many of the fish here are the same as UK.Rudd,tench,perch,eels[80lb]goldfish,koi and bullhead catfish.I have a few poles but tend to use the maver iron arm as it can hold the larger koi.Much of the gear is imported from uk.Bait is much the same as yours but we have to make our own.Breed our own maggots,dig our own worms and make our own secret groundbaits.The rivers can be 50/60 meters across but most are20/25meters.They tend to be muddy coloured and often have a slow flow.Most uk styles of fishing work and we can follow the new ideas from the net and imported mags;If you come this way bring your gear as for $68 you get a licence that allows you to fish for Salmon/trout or coarse in most of NZ.It is illegal to charge for fishing in NZ!!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lodge,
Great to get a report from the other side of the world.
Nice to know that not everyone is freezing or getting flooded out.[:D]
quote:Many of the fish here are the same as UK
eels[80lb]!!!!!!!!!![:0] I dont think so,i have enough trouble with "bootlaces" Don't fancy wrestling a conger on the bankside.[:D]
What rigs do you use for them??????????

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

lodge1

Sea gear,stainless traces.I will say that we dont land the big ones,in fact no one fishes for them.Had some anglers out from UK after them but the biggest they got was 12lb.Dead baits or half a chicken works.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Dead baits or half a chicken works.

Norm, hey Norm we've found a use for your Chicken

What size hook lodge?

[:D]

Dave

ray

hiya barry, welcome to the site, like has been said, its great to get a report from afar.
quote:The day was hot with temperatures in the high 20s.blue skys and the lightest of breazes.
what time is the next bus. [:D]

later
ray.

prepare your meat at home and bin the tin.
"clean banks campaign"

lodge1

hooks are 4/0.You have to realise that these snakes have serious teeth at this size.A local farmer had a sick sheep that fell half in a pond and died,2 days later the half in the water was a skeleton.I have a picture I willscan and post on site

MALC

As the others have said Lodge1 it's good to see a report from NZ, makes interesting reading keep em coming.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Paul Roberts

The Turk
Hey Lodge 1 - your'e probably laying in the sun somewhere but where's this pic. of this half-eaten sheep????

Paul

dirk

Site Supporter
Paul your worrying me asking for pictures of sheep.
Just leave it!
Forget the past.

lodge1

I dont have a picture of the sheep {and it was the back end that got eaten]but I do have one of an eel involved.I have yet to add pictures to this site so I will have to work out how to do it.

TINY

Tiny
If you cant forget the past,try not to get caught(again)

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

Paul Roberts

The Turk
The back end got eaten - that's the best bit (oops)

It gets lonely on those cold Winter League matches.

Miss you Dirkie!

Paul

martin.

Account Locked
what will happen if we get paul r & missing phil together on a fishin where there is sheep

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

lodge1

Thought you might like to see a boot lace NZ style.I wouldnt handle the big ones like this but the small ones like the one in the picture are ok.

Paul Roberts

The Turk
You say that's a small one?

Looks more like a conger eel than a freshwater eel - image them in the River Avon URGH!!

I'd heard tales of large eels living in pools in NZ but never had seen any pic's of the beasts UNTIL NOW!

Think I'll stick to catching little perch and gudgeon this week.

Paul

MALC

quote:Think I'll stick to catching little perch and gudgeon this week.

You'll be lucky Paul [;)][;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

scott essery

'Silver man'
oh my god lodge!!!

thats mad! the damn things bigger than most wreck caught congers.... how comethey grow so large? that one's heavier than Malc [:p] and u say its a baby [:0]

i recon you could have a great business venture in jellied eels there chap.....

silver man

lodge1

The NZ short fin eel is supposed to be the largest freshwater eel.You can see that eating whole ducks is no problem.They clean the waterways like vultures clean up carrion.

Status
Not open for further replies.