Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I watched half of this with my sister and brother in law this evening. It's free on Amazon Prime at the moment. (y)

We were going to watch Cool Hand Luke but the payment wouldn't go through so this was second choice but it's a good film. Not my usual thing.

What I liked about it was that it isn't your typical Errol Flynn 'swashbuckling' film but shows the realistic youth of the crew and also seemed to be a bit of a slow burner action wise, nor is it properly cheesy like the Titanic... that makes me look forward to watching the second half.

Peter Weir is a good director.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Have you ever watched Amistad? An excellent film, top cast and yet seemed to come out with virtually no publicity.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No not seen it! Was fed a few beers last night at my sisters which led me to come back and review a film I've only half seen in Master and Commander but it did seem good and am looking forward to the second half. :LOL:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
No not seen it! Was fed a few beers last night at my sisters which led me to come back and review a film I've only half seen in Master and Commander but it did seem good and am looking forward to the second half. :LOL:
You'd better brace yourself for the Cape Horn man overboard scene with part of Ralph Vaughan-Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis as the background music. It'll rip your heart and soul out.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You'd better brace yourself for the Cape Horn man overboard scene with part of Ralph Vaughan-Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis as the background music. It'll rip your heart and soul out.
I think I saw that bit. The bit were they have to decide whether to save him or not.