• 'TOMMY PICKERING - BORN TO WIN' COMPETITION

7 x Signed Hardback copies of 'Tommy Pickering's Autobiography - Born to Win' to be won
    And if that's not enough - A Maggotdrowning Sticker to go with each one !
    CLICK HERE TO ENTER

(Click the X on the top-right to close this notice)

Massive Trent Barbel

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say seeing fish in fairly shallow water on fish finders is very cool, with some of the more expensive ones you can pretty much tell what they are when its not too deep so quite zoomed in. We sell some great ones at work, the product training was great as was basically just watching fishing videos although that did mean I didn’t take much in lol

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
ive got one of them, not a go pro thing but a old school castable hummingbird

used it a few times on ressies, proper handy things really, they aint fish finders just depth echo sounders

you may think you know what you have found bottom wise with a plummet etc, but use one of these and you will be surprised at what the deck really looks like

one local ressie near maidstone was more like an underwater mountain range on the viewfinder

Cobweb

Site Supporter
This begs the question of whether advances in technology are a good substitute for years of experience or an innate predatory sense. Should there be a morality code for anglers?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This begs the question of whether advances in technology are a good substitute for years of experience or an innate predatory sense. Should there be a morality code for anglers?

Think a blend of both is the ideal combination

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Why don't we all live for the now and forget anything we may have done before? Shallow and venal? NEVER! I made a lot of money from developing computer systems, but they are just a tool - nothing to get wet dreams about!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Deeper Pro Plus is not the kind of thing I’d go out and buy but it would be interesting to use one and if I got it for Christmas or something I’d probably use it. My sister was going to buy me an underwater camera but I told her I would only end up losing it on a snag. Lets face it though, it seems a bit of a gimmick as there are other ways of telling the depth and contours of a river from looking at the surface to the angle of your line. That’s a pretty fantastic fish as a result though.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have a Deeper Pro Plus and I'm not afraid to use it :)

I used it for about a whole 2 minutes at the start of the session when I had my PB barbel a couple of weeks ago. Please accept my grovelling apologies. Oh hang on... I just checked my field where I grow them and I'm fresh out of poops to give.

Cracking fish.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Would one of these devices be cheaper than a glass bottomed boat ? I’m just thinking of Trogg that’s all. 😁

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I will be next week Kev. Hernia Op. I hope he doesn’t slip. I can’t afford to lose anything off it. 😂😂

Best of luck with the OP Mick, hope all goes well. :upthumb:

I was going to add I hope the take the correct leg off, otherwise you would be really stumped, but thought better of it. :whistle::whistle:

davylad

Site Supporter
I say he's caught a fish of a life time, so give him some credit for being able to recognise just where a fish like this would likely to be having it. Personally I can't imagine how a barbel this size would fight. My biggest is 6lb from the Swale, and I had to sit down for half an hour after I'd landed it.:sleep: Just a point but would this be worse than a bloke fishing a floating bait to a 40lb carp, that he can see feeding on the top?