• 'TOMMY PICKERING - BORN TO WIN' COMPETITION

7 x Signed Hardback copies of 'Tommy Pickering's Autobiography - Born to Win' to be won
    And if that's not enough - A Maggotdrowning Sticker to go with each one !
    CLICK HERE TO ENTER

(Click the X on the top-right to close this notice)

Massive Trent Barbel

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A CASTABLE fish finder was the key component in the capture of this chunky 17lb barbel for Terence Rowley.
The Wolverhampton rod used his Deeper Pro-Plus to map out the riverbed and find fish-holding depressions during his trip to the Trent at Gunthorpe.
He tells us:
“Once I found a spot that looked like it held fish, I cast out my OP31 boilie. A few hours into darkness I struck into the most powerful barbel I’ve ever hooked!”
Terence’s 17lb new pb was just one of six double-figure barbel caught during his session.
Terence Rowley’s 17lb barbel came from a spot he found using a wireless fish finder

Terence Rowley’s 17lb barbel came from a spot he found using a wireless fish finder

Reuben

Site Supporter
What next. May as well train the fish to swim into the landing net......not my idea of fishing to be honest. It all seems to be all about the capture & the photo. What happened to watercraft?

rudd

Site Supporter
What next. May as well train the fish to swim into the landing net......not my idea of fishing to be honest. It all seems to be all about the capture & the photo. What happened to watercraft?
Anyone who knows the area can now go and fish same spot as the guy has no tech savi in taking non give away pictures!😆

Rick123

Site Supporter
100% agree. Sorry not sour grapes, but did this guy get as much satisfaction out of this?? I stopped fishing for barbel (not trotting) the the first green tent went up. Night fish by all means but fish under an umbrella if it rains, they even set them up in the day now, in summer! I'm sure I enjoyed my big fish more because I suffered a bit to catch them?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not for me. Can’t knock the guy though. Technology is there for everyone that wants to use it. Personally I think it takes part of the enjoyment and purity away from fishing. I quite like the idea of finding where my quarry lives throughout the year and trying to tempt them on to my hook. If you can see a fish and then catch it then what ? Do you go home ? Not for me really.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Anyone who knows the area can now go and fish same spot as the guy has no tech savi in taking non give away pictures!😆

I know the area very well and recalling from memory the landing stage he is on has a no fishing sign ! - I guess he couldn't see it in the dark. :D

I am not sure where I sit on using the Deep Pro Plus to map out the riverbed it is after all a very sophisticated plummet that would save hours of time otherwise. That said I would expect the riverbed at the bottom of a weir to have several deep pockets in front of an any obstruction in the river bed, due to the water churn.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
When i took my Boys to France we was on a lake and the Carpology Boys turned up, All mod cons like the Fish finders and sonic stuff trying out new Boilies and secret rigs. They went home without a 40 Pounder where me and Jnr had a 45 and a 46 each using what i discussed at Dinner as Netto rigs and stick yer secret rigs and Bait where the sun dont shine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: What made it all the sweeter they had been 3 times without a 40, me and Jnr on our first trip and Jnr's 46 pounder on his first put in.

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
A CASTABLE fish finder was the key component in the capture of this chunky 17lb barbel for Terence Rowley.
The Wolverhampton rod used his Deeper Pro-Plus to map out the riverbed and find fish-holding depressions during his trip to the Trent at Gunthorpe.
He tells us:

Terence’s 17lb new pb was just one of six double-figure barbel caught during his session.

Wow what a fish ,bet that gave a good scrap

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Deeper Pro and fishfinders not for me, i'd prefer to use my non-existant skills to find worn areas of riverbank that i know people fish often from :LOL:

Is he basically fishing the end of a cut there? Not familiar with those reaches of the Trent.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My grandad bought one of those things and mapped out a few stretches then never used it again. One of those seemed a good idea at the time things but a bit much effort and time consumption he decided.

rudd

Site Supporter
If fishing an expanse of water fair enough but seen them used on 1acre ponds 😯

Flathead

Site Supporter
Deeper Pro and fishfinders not for me, i'd prefer to use my non-existant skills to find worn areas of riverbank that i know people fish often from :LOL:

Is he basically fishing the end of a cut there? Not familiar with those reaches of the Trent.
He is fishing the from lock cut at Gunthorpe weir on the Trent....the lock is one side, the weir is the other.

Always used to be out of bounds to anglers??

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Reading the post it says he used the 'Deeper Pro-Plus to map out the riverbed and find fish-holding depressions' so yes it helped him locate a likely fish holding spot, but not find the fish itself. He would have still had to use the right bait / feed to catch it,

There are swims dotted along the Southern side although on Googlemaps I can't see any roads past Kingfisher Wharf.

The North bank is either APG Fisheries and Notts Federation of Anglers depending how far you walk - from reading the signs day tickets are available and I have seen bivvies so assuming night fishing too.

rudd

Site Supporter
:upthumb:
So the focus is not on the magnificent fish but that he used tech to help him catch it..
The fish still had to be hooked and landed but none of that matters because he used something different from the norm..
Bet he is really bothered about it 😂😂😂
Must of been that C3P0 boilie from star baits he used that attracted it :upthumb:, attached to an R2D2 hook