Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Received this earlier:

For immediate release: -

Fishing and Shooting Win Support from Government Minister

Labours Parliamentary spokesman for angling and shooting Martin Salter MP secured a public commitment from the Rural Affairs Minister Alun Michael that these sports will not be affected in any way by the Governments new Hunting Bill which outlaws stag hunting and hare coursing and makes provision for licensing of fox hunting in certain areas where no alternative method can be used effectively. Mr Salter was responding to claims by the Countryside Alliance that angling and shooting were somehow under threat.

In his statement to the House of Commons on 3rd December Mr Michael said: -

A number of commentators have tried to suggest that there is an intention of going beyond the issue of hunting with dogs to other country sports. I want to make it clear that there is no such intention. It is spelt out in our manifesto commitment: we have no intention whatsoever of placing restrictions on the sports of angling and shooting.

I am also convinced by the evidence that there is no need to control falconry within the provisions of my Bill. In falconry, dogs are used to flush out quarry so for the avoidance of doubt the Bill will specify such activities as exempted activities.

Speaking in the Commons last week Martin Salter said: -

Will my right hon. Friend join me in paying tribute to Britain's 2 million-plus coarse anglers who have steadfastly refused to be conned or hoodwinked by the hunt lobby and their supporters on the Opposition Benches into supporting the doomed cause of hunting with hounds? Will he confirm that not only are field sports such as angling and shooting safe with the Government but they are being enhanced and supported as never before?

In reply Mr Michael said: -

I am happy, as always, to support my hon. Friend in his passionate support for angling and the country sport of shooting.

Mr Salter added: -

Im pleased Alun Michael scotched the lies put around by some pro-hunters that angling and shooting could be next on the list. As an avid angler myself I never had any doubt that my favourite sport enjoys the full backing of ministers, but it was important to counter the disgraceful scaremongering of people like the Countryside Alliance.

M/F

Martin Salter continued: -

By their attendance and support for the two national angling summits that I have orgainsed government ministers are giving anglings national bodies unparalled access and a level of support that surpasses any previous government of whatever political complexion.

Anglers have proved that they do not need fox hunters and their supporters to speak on their behalf and I will continue to resist any attempts by the Countryside Alliance to hijack the strong and enduring relationship that angling now enjoys with government.

He added: -

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation has made it clear that they are pleased with the commitment that the Labour Party has shown to shooting.

-Ends-

Further information: Martin Salter

Christopher Graffius,
Director of Communications,
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Tel: 01244 573045 or mobile 07786 112573

Bob Clark
Chief Executive,
National Federation of Anglers
Tel: 01283 734735

Dave Datafile2.gif

norm

i new they would see sense

compairing fishing with fox hunting (what a load of bollicks)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Considering all the lies new labour have churned out, how long have we got before they turn on us?

chill out go fishing

angler-mark

On the surface it looks good, but time will tell. I tend to agree with John, so I'll keep an open mind for now. [?]

Tight Lines

Mark

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Martin Salter for prime minister [:D]

(do you reckon a fishing/hunting party would get any votes??)[;)]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Triturus

There was an interesting discussion on Keith Arthurs 'Fishermans Blues on TalkSport this morning regarding this issue. Unfortunately I was half asleep so missed who Keith was talking to, but it would seem there may be a legal loophole affecting certain aspects of our sport in some specific circumstances. It may just be down to somantics, but it left me somewhat uneasy, even though Keith and his guest remained quite upbeat.
It's as well to remember that we once backed Saddam Hussian.

However, on a lighter note, can I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and fish filled New Year

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.