marlin world cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

scouse

'River Man'
HI LADS
DID ANYBODY SEE MARLIN WORLD CUP ON SKY
I THOUGHT IT WAS NOT THE BEST ADVERTISMENT
FOR FISHING, KILLING 658LB MARLIN JUST FOR SPORT(RICH MANS)
AND USEING A GAFF AS WELL, I JUST WONDERED IF IT FUELED
PETA,S BANDWAGGON ON BANNING FISHING
JUST A THOUGHT
DAVE (SCOUSE)icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

cheese_paste

Yeah I watched a bit of it too. I had to turn it off. Watching a magnificent fish like hauled aboard and taken back to the base to be weighed was heart breaking. I don't know how they can justify killing such a creature especially as the Blue Marlin is quite rare.

Alan Roe

I don't doubt that the programme was made primarily for American consumption and they in general tend to take a different view on this sort of issue which is as valid as anybody elses.

Though the Marlin was of a large individual size it is at the end of the day no different to the killing of any other fish. Vastly greater is the scandle of the thousands of tons of fish that are killed and just dumped over the side of trawlers as 'Bycatch'.

Though these fish are individually not as large there collective weight is much greater and this is happening daily around our coasts these fish wind up just as dead and wasted.
This is occuring at a time when stocks of fish around our coasts are at risk of extinction.

As far as Peta are concerned there is little additional value in that programme in the States they are regarded as a joke and their last foray into this country was a complete failure, with Dawn Carr being humilliated on many occasions.
Angling as a result of her activities woke up and very quickly put together an effective coherrents set of arguments both in defence of angling and attacking Peta as the bunch of two faced hypocrites that they are, there antics particularly in the States provide a rich seam of material with which to hammer them.

Cheers
Alan

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well said Alan

To give you an example of how "important" Peta are i have a friend who lives in the states, Virginia to be precise & i'll give you all 3 guesses where petas head quarters are!!!

The amount of fishing matches or tournements held in the Virginia area is huge & yet peta never show up to them & why ??? because they get laughed out of the area every time.

I believe that if we showed everyone the "real" agenda behind petas movement then they would lose a hell of a lot of support.
They use the "cute litle white seal being vicioulsy beaten" thing all the time but they really want to ban all interaction between humans & animals, which means all the old ladies (& men) who give willingly to them will lose their little dogs & cats who are their only companions a lot of the time, if they knew the real objective of peta would they still give to them????

Dave K who posts on here was organising an open day with his club (university of cambridge angling club) & the BBC decided they would like to "interview" him over it because it was being used to raise money for the Marie Curie foundation.

What Dave didn't know was the BBC had set it up so he would be against Ms Carr, did he blink?? like hell did he, he argued against that woman & in the end SHE gave up NOT Dave.

What i am trying to say is if an ordinary every day bloke like Dave (no offence intended Dave) can beat one of petas "prominent" people who has had all the media training then so can anyone, all you've got to do is spread the truth on peta & we will beat them.

There has been a lot of talk about unity amongst anglers on other BBs (anglersnet is one of those most mentioned) & i believe in it BUT when there is still arguing amongst anglers over petty things like mentioned on other sites about "Barbel police" & "rubbish yobs" the anti's are gonna work on this & it will be us that cause the problems because they will post just to cause an even bigger split in the ranks.

We ain't stupid but the anti's think we are , they think we don't know that they are lurking on sites like this one just to find something they can use.

For years i have complained when people send in pictures of the fish they have caught showing blood coming from the fish.
Don't get me wrong i love to see what has been caught & will admit that i am jelous of the people who have caught the fish BUT i would rather not see the pics if they are showing blood or other damage.
Why can't they wipe the blood away before having the pics taken??

This is just an example of what the anti's are ging to work on & believe me the anti's get the angling comics ever week/month just to cut out pictures like that (i'm not saying how i know but i do) so they can use them against us in press releases etc.

If angling is to survive we must pull together & forget our differences.
We must think about our replies before we hit the enter button even if its something you totally disagree with just think "are the anti's going to be able to use this?" & then either don't post a reply or even better no matter how strongly you feel show solidarity & post agreeing with the thread because this will cause more upset for the anti's than it will for you.

Well my little "sermon" is over now so i'll leave you to it but please take the time to think about what i've said because its no good burying your head in the sand when its to late.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I first saw the Marlin World Cup three years ago. I questioned then the reason for killing such beautiful specimens of fish.
Apparently the fish are sold to the locals for food.
It was pointed out to me that the japanese catch and kill more fish, from one boat, in one day than 37 boats caught or tagged over 5 days in the championships.

It wasn't the most riveting programme I have watched on fishing though.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.