Mark Downes and Match Fishing

alsur

Site Supporter
I parked next to him and Ken Giles in the car park at Packington Somers a few years ago. Ken was an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to chat to, as for Mr Downes.......................If he was ablaze and I had a full bladder I'd walk away. ;)
Your not the first person I've heard say that.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Yup... a complete knob... the majority of matches these days are sub 50 anglers... our club regularly gets 30 out on a monthly match at local venues... they are not opens, they are club competitions for points, trophies and money.... otherwise known as matches... but of course the ignorant knob knows better doesn't he... just flapping his fat gums for the sake of it

Total

Site Supporter
I read the post.....Just looked skywards.....Your typical "lob the grenade in a room" and retire type.....Faceys full of 'em....:(

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
He should still know better though.....
Too many people ready to be offended..... there are people on this thread ripping into him, without having seen the post, the emojis are hardly part of a serious attack on his fellow match anglers. And he’s right, some people do big up wins on a 6 pegger!

Total

Site Supporter
Too many people ready to be offended..... there are people on this thread ripping into him, without having seen the post, the emojis are hardly part of a serious attack on his fellow match anglers. And he’s right, some people do big up wins on a 6 pegger!

I always look/listen to both sides of any story Chris.....Knows how you feel about pleasure/club anglers....small knock ups etc etc....BUT always found ya very helpful with my questions, so you're not a bad lad...;):giggle:....Despite hating tip fishing!.....And have a lousy drawing arm! :giggle::ROFLMAO:

grey

Site Supporter
Can't see anything wrong with his idea other than his choice of titles, obviously chosen to ruffle a few feathers.

Would anglers have been so offended if he'd proposed the labelling as: match, supermatch and open?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I suspect it was somewhat tongue in cheek or done as a wind up.

Know exactly where you're coming from Chris, but it's ill considered and really not what I would expect from a person in his position within the sport.
As for the emoji's a couple of :cool::cool: "cool" ones after his own initials doesn't really convey an attempt at humour.

davej1981

Prat! Strip him of his involvement with england and his sponsorships/endorsements. As an ambassador for match angling his commets are disgraceful

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I’m with Maesknoll on this one, Downesy is speaking the uncomfortable truth And people are getting far too offended.
crikey ... if you read the intro to Kevin ashurst’s 1978 book he regarded anything under 100 pegs as a little sweepstake.
We all know that match fishing has diminished in numbers and cleaved to almost two (or more) separate disciplines.
30 years ago used to be able to fish A 100 pegger every week or two. Nowadays I fish two a season!
yes ... the average standard is also higher than back then but it is different and the buzz is less than on a big match.

having said all of that, I’ve always found Mark to be a slightly odd fish - perhaps even a little socially awkward. His brother Paul was always more gregarious and also a really top angler.

Anyway ... off to a sixty peg match on the Trent this morning... almost like the old days :p

chris1967

Site Supporter
meh ,couldn't give a toss for his opinion just like i couldn't give a toss about the england team either .

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I always look/listen to both sides of any story Chris.....Knows how you feel about pleasure/club anglers....small knock ups etc etc....BUT always found ya very helpful with my questions, so you're not a bad lad...;):giggle:....Despite hating tip fishing!.....And have a lousy drawing arm! :giggle::ROFLMAO:
Just to clarify, I don’t have any issue with club anglers or small knock ups, fished them myself, but I wouldn’t be crowing all over FB if I won a 6 pegger, it’s nice to win, even a head to head, but doing well in big matches is much more satisfying - and more of an achievement. The quality of angler on the match circuits, both club and open, is probably as high as it’s ever been. Shame social media have made some forget a bit of self-deprecation - especially when they win off a peg that has won the last half dozen matches, yes you still have to put the fish in the net from fliers, but many are capable of doing it.
Anyway, that’s enough typing, I have a match to get to.....