Mark Downes and Match Fishing

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Facebook strikes again

Mark Downes, manager of the English angling team has posted that in his opinion, most of us oiks, clubmen and amatuer anglers, those who are not in the elite class of match angling, do not in most cases when we go out to pit our wits and skill against other anglers, actually fish matches

it is in his opinion that we merely fish knockups,

he bases this skewed view of the world of ordinary joe on the basis that

all matches with 20 or less filled pegs are mere knockups between mates

those with 20 to 50 anglers are matches proper

and those with 50 and above are opens

now Ive heard some utter claptrap regarding match angling in my time, but that is down right pretentious and discriminatory, for a man that leads our national team to cast such views as to the core support of the sport, your average clubman is just as entitled to fish those matches his club or match group put on each week and be just as determined to win or place and be proud of the fact that he participated and gave his best regardless of the numbers fishing

presumably in his upper echolon sponsored world, mere mortals dont exist, and this man that expects our money that we pay into various organisations and buy equipment from manufacturers to support his international teams is from those who just fish knock ups, 3rd class matchmen, he also seems to forget that without those clubbies turning up to fish gigs on commercial venues, the income they gather would fall and those venues may not survive that drop

I wasnt very happy the way the Angling trust treated thier long time international supporter "Drennan" in the past, and now hearing and seeing the replies to his controversial post, it makes me, and a lot of others realise, the way we are looked at from on high

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Wasn't he very involved with Starlets at one point? I only ever met him a few times with the Junior Starlets Team. Surprises me that he would write something like that but I have not seen the post.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
What did he put ??
This was taken from Facebook.......

Can't wait for all the england lads to report there glorified pleasure session wins in future! ????

Most open match anglers have a mortgage and kids and if they get out once a week it's living the dream! They can't travel up and down the country every week looking for bigger matches as it cost to much. Local matches are all they have and can only beat who's there. Some of us are more fortunate to be able to travel but that doesn't give you the right to put down someone's achievements. No matter what you think of them! For some open match anglers out there, to win there section would be like winning the world champs! We are all at different stages of our angling so just give him a like and say well done! Fishing is for enjoyment.....

SeanB

Site Supporter
If that's a genuine statement then it's pretty inexcusable. Didn't all the top level anglers start out as average Joe club anglers? I would bet there are members of this site who are just as good as some of the big names.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Elitist tw@t.... how sodding dare he denigrate the grass roots of the match angling world.... we all start somewhere, even the majestic Lord Downes.... man's a twunt... hope all his next outings are blanks

JayBee

Site Supporter
Maybe the likes of Preston, Daiwa, Guru and Drennan, etc. would prefer their tackle to be marketed as suitable for 20 peg knockups, as an awful lot of match orientated tackle is used in those competitions.
It would appear that Mr Downes has a mouth big enough to accomadate foot!.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
selecting brain before engaging mouth would have been better

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
Well he can go and do one, idiot! i don't fish matches; because i fish for a reason other than competitive competition (and associated willy waving!)
The next time he cries financial woe (probably via Rob Hughes like last time), after screwing over Drennan, he'll get nought from me!

What a massive opinionated C*ck Womble!!

rd350lc

This was taken from Facebook.......

Can't wait for all the england lads to report there glorified pleasure session wins in future! ????

Most open match anglers have a mortgage and kids and if they get out once a week it's living the dream! They can't travel up and down the country every week looking for bigger matches as it cost to much. Local matches are all they have and can only beat who's there. Some of us are more fortunate to be able to travel but that doesn't give you the right to put down someone's achievements. No matter what you think of them! For some open match anglers out there, to win there section would be like winning the world champs! We are all at different stages of our angling so just give him a like and say well done! Fishing is for enjoyment.....
Well said that man !

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
If that's his opinion, bet he's really unhappy with des ship fishing a 24 peg club match on the stour a couple weeks ago. What a tit.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Facebook strikes again

Mark Downes, manager of the English angling team has posted that in his opinion, most of us oiks, clubmen and amatuer anglers, those who are not in the elite class of match angling, do not in most cases when we go out to pit our wits and skill against other anglers, actually fish matches

it is in his opinion that we merely fish knockups,

he bases this skewed view of the world of ordinary joe on the basis that

all matches with 20 or less filled pegs are mere knockups between mates

those with 20 to 50 anglers are matches proper

and those with 50 and above are opens

now Ive heard some utter claptrap regarding match angling in my time, but that is down right pretentious and discriminatory, for a man that leads our national team to cast such views as to the core support of the sport, your average clubman is just as entitled to fish those matches his club or match group put on each week and be just as determined to win or place and be proud of the fact that he participated and gave his best regardless of the numbers fishing

presumably in his upper echolon sponsored world, mere mortals dont exist, and this man that expects our money that we pay into various organisations and buy equipment from manufacturers to support his international teams is from those who just fish knock ups, 3rd class matchmen, he also seems to forget that without those clubbies turning up to fish gigs on commercial venues, the income they gather would fall and those venues may not survive that drop

I wasnt very happy the way the Angling trust treated thier long time international supporter "Drennan" in the past, and now hearing and seeing the replies to his controversial post, it makes me, and a lot of others realise, the way we are looked at from on high
What a tosserrrrrr

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Just don't buy the products of his sponsors. He'll soon be made to apologise or even get dropped if his opinions have a detrimental effect on his sponsors profits.