Margin poles

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Having recently returned to fishing after 20 years, I’ve realised that my old Daiwa TDP pole is outgunned by the need to fish with heavy elastics tight to margins or against lilies etc.

I’ve waggled a few different options (Drennan Acolyte Pro Margin, Matrix MTX Margin, Preston Response) and my overall preference was for the Drennan. I’m also aware that Tri-Cast have their Trilogy 2 Margin pole and as a big fan of their rods am interested in this but have not been able to find one to try.

Has anyone compared the Tri-Cast with any of these other poles, and are there any other margin poles in the sub £400 rice range that I should be considering too?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I can only comment on the MTX.
Had it side by side with acolyte, and preferred the Matrix, the side pullers are really smooth to use.handles big fish with ease (15lb)
I read somewhere a couple of sections on the response went bang with a decent fish on.
The Tricast is supposed to be brilliant according to one or two on here

Fred Davis

Map margin pole m20, why should you consider just look at the price and range of the top kits, stiff strong and interchanges with the map 601 to 901

PAULMK5

Just got the middy xm10-3,fantastic can use for lumps or match kit,so light,balanced and very strong.

Paul.P

Everyone has there favorites, & will tell you there's is the best, thats why your getting so many different & varied answers, which will probably confuse you even more !, but the best thing you can do ( if possible ) is to go to one of the big pole alleys & try as many as you can. One thing very few say on here when asking about margin poles, is what length you want to go to, as most only go to 9-10m, but you can go longer if your willing to spend more ?.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Everyone has there favorites, & will tell you there's is the best, thats why your getting so many different & varied answers, which will probably confuse you even more !, but the best thing you can do ( if possible ) is to go to one of the big pole alleys & try as many as you can. One thing very few say on here when asking about margin poles, is what length you want to go to, as most only go to 9-10m, but you can go longer if your willing to spend more ?.
Thanks Paul.P.
Would love to do this but I don’t know of any tackle shops in the South East that have this facility. Any suggestions most welcome!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Awesome bit of kit - very impressed with mine

Simon
I originally went for the 8.5 metre edge monster, but when had it out against acolyte and mtx, and was squeezing the sections, a couple felt spongy, the pole itself was light and stiff, but in the end went for the matrix, I had a maver pole that had a bit of flex in the 4 and 5 sections, never had problems with that, maybe it was confidence thing about going for lumps down the edge, that also made me go for matrix.

davylad

Site Supporter
I agree CC the 2K4 was a very good and strong margin pole, but a few manufacturers are making great strides in that field, and have improved them a fair bit, making them lighter and stiffer, but still as strong.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I agree CC the 2K4 was a very good and strong margin pole, but a few manufacturers are making great strides in that field, and have improved them a fair bit, making them lighter and stiffer, but still as strong.
I have kept an eye on the improved offerings from other manufacturers and had a play with a few pre lockdown. Nothing has tempted me to change, yet.

I have utmost faith in Tricast having landed a few 40lb carp and plenty of thirties on it in France. Plus double figure barbel and river carp out of the Ribble. But I am receptive to something better, stronger and lighter if it exists and is in budget.

Paul.P

I have not yet found any margin pole that makes me want to sell my xrs 2k4 and upgrade. Not had chance to waggle the new Trilogy, yet.
I have to agree the XRS 2K4 was an incredibly strong pole, however the trilogy 2 was just as good i think, & now the Ultima is certainly as strong, yet lighter & better to handle,& obviously longer, whether the one piece topkits would give you enough elastic to play 40lb's i don't know, i did have my reservations about the topkits, but having used one to catch 2-300lb of hard fighting carp & barbel im convinced, for commercials anyway. Sebbie, a lot depends on your budget, for under £200 there are a lot of half decent poles nowadays, so just what are you looking to spend ?

davylad

Site Supporter
I have kept an eye on the improved offerings from other manufacturers and had a play with a few pre lockdown. Nothing has tempted me to change, yet.

I have utmost faith in Tricast having landed a few 40lb carp and plenty of thirties on it in France. Plus double figure barbel and river carp out of the Ribble. But I am receptive to something better, stronger and lighter if it exists and is in budget.
Of course it exists, whether it's in your budget I'm not sure.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I originally went for the 8.5 metre edge monster, but when had it out against acolyte and mtx, and was squeezing the sections, a couple felt spongy, the pole itself was light and stiff, but in the end went for the matrix, I had a maver pole that had a bit of flex in the 4 and 5 sections, never had problems with that, maybe it was confidence thing about going for lumps down the edge, that also made me go for matrix.
I’ve got the MTX power pole which I use in conjunction with my MTX3 ultra. To be honest I’m using the power pole more, in conjunction with a couple of the MTX3 power kits. It’s a cracking piece of kit and caters for most things upto 11m (y)