Margin pole question

Logan.26

Hello everyone this is my first post on here so I’m sorry if this is an odd question, ive been out of fishing for a while but I’m starting to get back into it, anyway I’ve been looking around the net and I’m staggered by the price of some margin poles, my question is what’s the most expensive margin pole on the market, are the very expensive ones worth the extra money, which ones the best?

Jonny w

The most expensive one I’ve ever seen is the browning sphere power partner I think there around the £700 quid mark only come with 1 top kit as well, basically there made for people who want to do margin work that already have a sphere because all the sections are interchangeable, that being said according to reviews there meant to be an amazing pole in there own right, I would expect they are as it’s basically just the first 10 meters of a sphere pt+ (Which it with out doubt one of the best poles in the world right now) I’ve had a wiggle of a friends sphere pt+ And it was stunning best pole I’ve ever used bar none, but not sure if the power partner would be worth it if you didn’t have a sphere all ready though as it only comes with one top, and I’m sure there about £120 each, cant see anything being better then one of these if I’m honest but at that price point they should be the best really

Louis D

Site Supporter
If you just want strong then no need to spend £100's. I have an original Shimano Beastmaster which is extremely strong. It is however like a floppy lead pipe in comparison to my Daiwa multi margin which is why it spends all its time sitting in my garage and at some point will go. The multi margin is also extremely strong but cost about £400 at 9 metres . It is much nicer to use than the Beastmaster and totally interchanges with my Airity so spare sections also. I also use it with my match tops when it's blowing a gale to keep breakages cheaper.

The high end Daiwa's are nice, the Tricast has its fans as does the Drennan Acolyte and others. The alternative is to buy a cheaper pole which will likely be very strong and offers the potential of a bit more length, there are also plenty of sub-£1000 poles that are very strong and will provide outstanding secondhand value.

Logan.26

The most expensive one I’ve ever seen is the browning sphere power partner I think there around the £700 quid mark only come with 1 top kit as well, basically there made for people who want to do margin work that already have a sphere because all the sections are interchangeable, that being said according to reviews there meant to be an amazing pole in there own right, I would expect they are as it’s basically just the first 10 meters of a sphere pt+ (Which it with out doubt one of the best poles in the world right now) I’ve had a wiggle of a friends sphere pt+ And it was stunning best pole I’ve ever used bar none, but not sure if the power partner would be worth it if you didn’t have a sphere all ready though as it only comes with one top, and I’m sure there about £120 each, cant see anything being better then one of these if I’m honest but at that price point they should be the best really
Is the sphere power partner better then a Daiwa multi margin? Or the Daiwa tournament pro margin?

Jonny w

Is the sphere power partner better then a Daiwa multi margin? Or the Daiwa tournament pro margin?
Would have thought so m8, it’s twice the price with a smaller extras package, Iva had hold of the tourney pro margin, didn’t think ur was worth the money if I’m being honest, i thought the tri cast trilogy margin felt better

Logan.26

Would have thought so m8, it’s twice the price with a smaller extras package, Iva had hold of the tourney pro margin, didn’t think ur was worth the money if I’m being honest, i thought the tri cast trilogy margin felt better
I’m surprised, so would you say that the top browning poles are better then a Daiwa air?

Jonny w

I’m surprised, so would you say that the top browning poles are better then a Daiwa air?
Yes without doubt in my opinion, but that’s only my opinion, other people will disagree, for me a sphere is without doubt better then the air, and I’ve used both, but I don’t own either, I can’t afford them

Logan.26

Yes without doubt in my opinion, but that’s only my opinion, other people will disagree, for me a sphere is without doubt better then the air, and I’ve used both, but I don’t own either, I can’t afford them
Seems to be different types of sphere’s which one do you have? What’s the difference between them?

Jonny w

I don’t have any of them I can’t afford one, they start at around £3500 and go to something silly like £6000 for an exo, I’ve only ever had a few goes of my friends sphere pt+, I’m not sure on differences between the models apart from the pt+ is apparently a bit stronger then the f1

Logan.26

I don’t have any of them I can’t afford one, they start at around £3500 and go to something silly like £6000 for an exo, I’ve only ever had a few goes of my friends sphere pt+, I’m not sure on differences between the models apart from the pt+ is apparently a bit stronger then the f1
Wow £6000, what’s an exo? Sorry I though you had one.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have been using a Maver Abyss X for several years. Cost? £50.

I do a lot of margin fishing in the Summer. This pole does the job, no hint of it breaking. Why spend hundreds?

Paul.P

To answer the original question, the Browning is certainly the dearest, whether its the best is up for debate, as i don't believe its anywhere near as strong as the tricast ultra. A perfectly good margin pole of around 9m can be had for a couple of hundred pounds, ie Preston & shimano for example, & you pay the extra for poles like the tricast because they have took margin fishing to beyond 13m & yet the pole is still perfectly usable whereas the cheaper ones are struggling at 9m. I think its definitely a case of you get what you pay for, but if you have a budget then give someone who sells them all a ring ( like Leigh Tackle ) & have a chat, they will tell you whats available ( & suitable ) for what you need.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think Logan wants to walk before he thinks about running. He’s only just returning to angling. Logan mate, if you are in the market for a margin pole look at something second hand like an original Shimano beast master or a Daiwa yank and bank. Both poles are more than strong enough for what you need. If in time you’ve took to commercial fishing then I’d suggest you move to something like a Maver 800 / 900. Our very own commercial expert Chefster puts hundreds of pounds of carp in his nets most weeks using one of these and doesn’t report any issues with his. Good luck matey. ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hello everyone this is my first post on here so I’m sorry if this is an odd question, ive been out of fishing for a while but I’m starting to get back into it, anyway I’ve been looking around the net and I’m staggered by the price of some margin poles, my question is what’s the most expensive margin pole on the market, are the very expensive ones worth the extra money, which ones the best?
Tri cast Excellence ultra margin is expensive if you go to the 13m package although the 11m length is supposed to be very good ,goes a bit at 13m apparently. I may sell my tri cast 9m trilogy and get the ultra

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Tri cast Excellence ultra margin is expensive if you go to the 13m package although the 11m length is supposed to be very good ,goes a bit at 13m apparently. I may sell my tri cast 9m trilogy and get the ultra
Forgot to say ,tri cast margin poles are brilliant ,super strong ,ive had xrs and trilogy margin poles ,worth the money in my opinion and more but keep it ?

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I have a Daiwa Multi Margin. Not the most expensive but not cheap.
The top kits fit my main pole as do the sections. For me that's the advantage.

Logan.26

Hi all thanks for all the comments, ended of buying a sphere power partner with an extra top from bobco today, I asked him about the tri-cast ultra as some have suggested it, he said the sphere while not being quite strong is a better all round pole, lighter,stiffer, etc....so just went with the sphere power, any of the bigger sphere sections also fit it so if I want to make it longer I can just buy a number 8 from any other sphere to take it to 12 or 13 metres, the man from bobco rated the sphere’s very highly, said there the best poles on the market, so just went with the sphere power, thanks for all your comments