Margin Pole for Commercial

Hey all.

As the days begin to get warmer, I'm going to spend a lot of time at my grandparents caravan where they have a carp haven lake. Literally it's a catch a throw, and the smallest is 5lbs.

I am stupidly lucky to say I own a maver competition 371 (believe it's over £1K when it came out) courtesy of my grandfather.

I really do not want to risk a match pole at this lake.

I've found a maver grim reaper online, which I believe was mavers flagship "carp" pole

But I am drawn to a second hand Yank N Bank

Note: not buying brand new here, as I adore the competition pole, but need something for lumps.

Paul.P

Really depends how much you want to pay, & realistically how long a pole you need ?

SpeedyJD

I've owned the yank n bank and it is a lovely light stiff margin pole but I didn't feel it was a snag type pole as in it felt like a match pole and I daren't really heave that much with it. I swopped it last year for a Browning Aggressor 2 and although heavier and not as stiff at 11m it's built like an ox, it feels so much stronger than the Daiwa, Top kits were also only £22, however I'd also look at the Matrix and Preston Edge if you want something lighter and stiffer but strong. I was well impressed holding both of them in the pole alley but not used them on the bank.

Dusty

Hey all.

As the days begin to get warmer, I'm going to spend a lot of time at my grandparents caravan where they have a carp haven lake. Literally it's a catch a throw, and the smallest is 5lbs.

I am stupidly lucky to say I own a maver competition 371 (believe it's over £1K when it came out) courtesy of my grandfather.

I've found a maver grim reaper online, which I believe was mavers flagship "carp" pole

Note: not buying brand new here, as I adore the competition pole, but need something for lumps.

I have a Shimano technium super strong in good nick that I’m parting with. Strong as an ox.
PM me if you are interested.

Well currently I've got the following:

Brand new, never used Daiwa SR2 for £250 (but this is another match pole, defeats the point of the maver)

Daiwa Yank n Bank original, one kit one universal kit for 60

Grim reaper for 100

lp1886

Site Supporter
I’m not familiar with any shops in that area but I suggest finding somewhere you can have a waggle before parting with your dough.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
My Drennan series 7 has never let me down. Paid 100 quid brand new a few years back. Not sure if they're still being made or not.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have a map CFS 14.5m that I use as a margin pole. Brilliant up to 11m after that you need to be built like Trogg. You can't get them new anymore but, they do crop up on ebay now and again. A very strong pole for not much money and being 14.5m it's saved me losing a few mental carp in summer. I should really get some side pullers fitted to mine.

Billy the fish 1954

Hey all.

Preston margin 8.5 super light super strong had carp to 15lb plus last year good deal from Widnes angling centre

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Warrington

I drive, open to travel I guess
Go to Leigh Tackle and Bait, have a look at the Preston Edge Monster, Matrix mtx , and Drennan Acolyte, the last 2 just above £250, I got the matrix a few weeks ago, 3 kits elasticated with drennan bungee for around £290. I also have original yank n bank, I find the topkits are rather short, Tell Gavin at LTB what your requirements are and he will sort you out.

Simon R

Site Supporter
In my opinion look no further than the Preston

I got one last summer and had some real lumps on it the first time I used it

at £135 it's a steal

Simon

Pikerwoods

In my opinion look no further than the Preston

I got one last summer and had some real lumps on it the first time I used it

at £135 it's a steal

Simon
Simon, that's the pole Gav at Leigh Tackle advised me to buy. Preston have just brought out a 10M version and extension for the 8.5M one. Did your pole feel ok with the lighter elastic for smaller fish...?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I felt the Preston's sections to be a little "flimsy" , could squeeze them and see movement,told Gav size of fish can end up catching that's why got the matrix, the margin carp in a water I fish are supposed to be upto 10lb, I have had 15lbs and 20lb, The matrix or the acolyte gave me more confidence, went for matrix due to 3 kits compared to acolytes 2 kits,

mimississ

Site Supporter
Nah don't mess about... If you are fishing for lumps in a snaggy swim and confidence is what u need I bought a middy muscle tech 6m and 2 x1m parallel extensions... Its rated upto a 30 laccy and all for about £160...cant go wrong... I bought it be cause didn't want to smash mi expensive pole...