Margin pole for a beginner

Chrissill

I’ve only just started pole fishing too and went for the Edge Monster too, seems a great piece of kit. Took it to Westwood lakes a few weeks ago and pulled out some carp up to 11lb. There was a pro angler on site who came over and showed me a few things I was doing wrong, gave me a few tips and the results were fantastic. 👍

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
No this does not happen to all poles.
Only to those pushed together to hard 😉
I take your point - I was just trying to say that it isn't a problem specific to the monster margin pole and can happen to any pole. Not sure why it happened to mine - I hadn't pushed the sections together particularly hard but it was wet and cold, which may have been a factor. The only good news was the cost - when I orderd a new no. 4 in my local shop, the owner told me about his daiwa no. 4 section costing hundreds of pounds. Made me feel a little better!

rudd

Site Supporter
I take your point - I was just trying to say that it isn't a problem specific to the monster margin pole and can happen to any pole. Not sure why it happened to mine - I hadn't pushed the sections together particularly hard but it was wet and cold, which may have been a factor. The only good news was the cost - when I orderd a new no. 4 in my local shop, the owner told me about his daiwa no. 4 section costing hundreds of pounds. Made me feel a little better!
Get some nose cones, can stop this happening and also stop chips or cracks.

Onky ever broke one no4.
During a club singles semi final against an ex Daiwa Dorking angler.
Was well ahead of him, needed a pee, it was raining and I slipped on stagging, as I fell grabbed nearest thing.
My one and only no4 for garbolino rio pole 😢
Lost match and could not get a replacement.

Jcollins202

I was the same as you - always float fished with rod and line. Since buying a pole though, i probably use it more than my rod and for around £150 for a decent margin pole i think it’s a worthwhile investment. for silvers, i’d only use a light elastic, say a 10 or less. I use the hybrid elastics like matrix slik, nufish zipp or ng ultra core but there are obviously many different types and makes of elastic on the market. Search the maggotdrowners threads for more info on elastics - it can make your head spin!

At this time of year i’m using elastics around the 14 or 16 mark as the pools i fish have some decent carp in them. With elastics like this you lose a lot of smaller fish but you stand more chance of getting in bigger carp. There’s no one-size-fits-all unfortunately but something around the 12 mark is a general all-rounder

as for the roller pullers and bushes, i use the ones that come fitted to the to top kits. The preston ones on the margin monster are very good. Can’t comment on other makes as i’ve not used them.

fishing with a pole takes some getting used to but if you persevere i think you’ll find it very rewarding. You tend to need a lot more kit than just fishing with rod and line but i take both my pole and rod gear these days so i can have the best of both worlds
Thanks very much for the advice Dicky, much appreciated.

I have a little extra cash available so have narrowed my choices down to the Edge Monster, Preston Response Margin 8.5m pole or Drennan Acolyte Margin Carp 9.5m. My reasoning for the Response over the Edge Monster is that it is compatible with the Response pole top kits so I could fit a match kit or F1 kit later. The Drennan is purely because that is what my local tackle shop has in stock but again it has the benefit of being compatible with some of their pole sections.

I will try and see all 3 to have a feel in the hand before I decide but that may be difficult in the current circumstance.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
The preston edge monster is compatible with the pro type top kits. I’ve bought a couple of shallow top kits which i use a lot and they’re reasonably priced. Just a thought to confuse you a bit more!

Chrissill

The preston edge monster is compatible with the pro type top kits. I’ve bought a couple of shallow top kits which i use a lot and they’re reasonably priced. Just a thought to confuse you a bit more!
Great! I was looking at the Protype X400 as my next pole and hoped the top kits would be compatible with the Edge Monster 👍