Margin pole for a beginner

Louis D

Site Supporter
Many thanks for the responses and advice - all helpful.
LouisD - I'm just a few miles from Congleton and I'm interested in the beastmaster you have for sale. Do you have a bit more info on the pole please - would you sell it fully kitted (elastic etc) and if so, what size bushes and elastic are fitted?
Neil of the Nene - I've already had a look at your guide and found it very useful, thanks.
Let me put it in the classifieds to avoid the wrath of the mods and we can discuss.

Simon R

Site Supporter
My vote would be for the Edge Monster (I've got one and can't fault it) but bear in mind that it's a margin pole designed for carp - and big carp at that - so may be a little overgunned for canal fishing. It's not designed to be used with light elastic as you might use on a canal - perfect for your local commercial though.
If you can find a cheap 8m system whip (Daiwa SR series or the old Shakespeare Superteam for example) second-hand they would be much more suited to canal fishing and considerably lighter too. Not a lot of use for commercial carp though.

I would be inclined towards looking for a second-hand 13m budget pole (Maver, MAP or Drennan Red Range for example) which at 8m will probably weigh about the same as a dedicated margin pole but if you pick on up with a match top three and a power top kit it'll be perfectly adequate for canal and commercial. Plus if you find you need to fish that little further out you've got the extra length available.

Simon

derwentboy

Another option is the Daiwa Power Carp 13m or 10m I have a 13m one , came with 4 top kits/tubes/bag and dollybutt..can use it for anything really. I've got the largest matrix slik elastic in for Carp and it's great with a side puller. Then on the other hand I've got a couple of topkits setup for silvers..very very good value for money. Think it was £200 or £249 new

nico12

Grebe Grabber
All of the ones you've listed wont let you down - Good point on spare top kits and Sections though.

Leafy

Leafy
I dont know a great deal about margin poles, I have a cheap middy white knuckle 6m now but I'm pretty sure a shimano beastmaster might be a bit overkill for canal roach and skimmers.. if its just to test the waters get somat for less than a 100... mayb the maver reality or white knuckle by middy.

The preston monster edge looks good but iv heard of a few 4th sections going. Fish you fishing for shouldn't be busting sections tho. goodluck I'm new to this pole fishing carry on myself.

Leafy

Leafy
My vote would be for the Edge Monster (I've got one and can't fault it) but bear in mind that it's a margin pole designed for carp - and big carp at that - so may be a little overgunned for canal fishing. It's not designed to be used with light elastic as you might use on a canal - perfect for your local commercial though.
If you can find a cheap 8m system whip (Daiwa SR series or the old Shakespeare Superteam for example) second-hand they would be much more suited to canal fishing and considerably lighter too. Not a lot of use for commercial carp though.

I would be inclined towards looking for a second-hand 13m budget pole (Maver, MAP or Drennan Red Range for example) which at 8m will probably weigh about the same as a dedicated margin pole but if you pick on up with a match top three and a power top kit it'll be perfectly adequate for canal and commercial. Plus if you find you need to fish that little further out you've got the extra length available.

Simon
Does the edge monster seem solid in all sections? I really like the look of it but read a couple of things that put me off.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Does the edge monster seem solid in all sections?
Absolutely bomb proof
First time I used was on holiday in Lincolnshire earlier this year
Carp to 12lb that I had to prevent getting back under this lot

Image00013.jpg Image00015.jpg

Managed to foul-hook an 11.5lb mirror in the tail and that put a bit of a bend in the pole.
Image00011.jpg Image00017.jpg Skegness 2019 031comp.jpg

I was determined to give it some stick so that if anything did shatter or explode I could return it to the shop.
Never had the slightest worry that anything untoward was gonna happen
Even when I had the fish at my feet and it dived down - which is a recipe for broken top-kits - especially when you've already stripped out two-thirds of your elastic - I was more worried about my hook-length giving way than the pole.

Simon

Fred Davis

as you are going to use this pole for canal work as well as commercials why don't you pick a margin pole like the map that way you can buy a match top kit for the canal work and still use it for commercials with the power kits, doesn't have to be a map as several manufacturers do margin poles that are compatible with there full length 16metre jobby that way you can always in the future if so required buy a 16 metre pole where the joints are compatible with the margin pole you first purchased and have spare sections and top kits.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Love the macho names of some of these margin poles -
White Knuckle ... Gangster... Beast Master ...
I'd go the Edge Monster.
Those 8oz canal roach won't know what's hit 'em.

:p ;)

spark1

Them Preston margin poles are not as solid and strong as the beast master the sections are spongy in comparison.

12lb Carp is hardly big in today's commercial and I've had 15lbers on a match pole in 12 foot of water on a gravel pit.

Total

Site Supporter
I dont know a great deal about margin poles, I have a cheap middy white knuckle 6m now but I'm pretty sure a shimano beastmaster might be a bit overkill for canal roach and skimmers........
I've been using the Beastmaster since its inception (cream coloured version to 10 metres) and with the appropriate elastics it will cope admirably as a silvers pole as well as any other fish in the canal/pond/etc, etc.....Sadly no longer is it produced, but probably the best £100 pound I originally ever spent. ;)

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the info folks. I appreciate a margin pole is probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but anything with a lighter/match top seems to be over 11m and very expensive, while everything sub-11m comes with power or carp tops - there doesn't seem to be anything that fits my criteria in the price bracket I'm looking at. Second-hand is an option but has it's own risks (particularly for inexperienced anglers like me) and a new pole with appropriate warranty all but eliminates those risks.

In the end, I bought a Preston Edge Monster (apologies to LouisD, hope the beastmaster sells), which I'm sure will tame those canal gudgeon! I went for the preston almost on impulse as it was set up in a shop and I could try it for feel and weight - I can procrastinate for England sometimes so I made the leap there and then. It's very light and comes with protective tubes and holdall and is pre-bushed. I'm going to start by fishing the top 3 or 4 sections on the canal and then building up to the full length. As I say, I'm sure it's overkill for my needs but hopefully it should get me used to pole fishing for when I move onto waters with better quality fish. I'll try and report back how I get on.

Leafy

Leafy
Absolutely bomb proof
First time I used was on holiday in Lincolnshire earlier this year
Carp to 12lb that I had to prevent getting back under this lot

View attachment 22265 View attachment 22266

Managed to foul-hook an 11.5lb mirror in the tail and that put a bit of a bend in the pole.
View attachment 22268 View attachment 22267 View attachment 22269

I was determined to give it some stick so that if anything did shatter or explode I could return it to the shop.
Never had the slightest worry that anything untoward was gonna happen
Even when I had the fish at my feet and it dived down - which is a recipe for broken top-kits - especially when you've already stripped out two-thirds of your elastic - I was more worried about my hook-length giving way than the pole.

Simon
Hmm sounds really solid... might think about getting one in the near future. Caught my first carp by pole today so just starting out that route :)

Jcollins202

Thanks for all the info folks. I appreciate a margin pole is probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but anything with a lighter/match top seems to be over 11m and very expensive, while everything sub-11m comes with power or carp tops - there doesn't seem to be anything that fits my criteria in the price bracket I'm looking at. Second-hand is an option but has it's own risks (particularly for inexperienced anglers like me) and a new pole with appropriate warranty all but eliminates those risks.

In the end, I bought a Preston Edge Monster (apologies to LouisD, hope the beastmaster sells), which I'm sure will tame those canal gudgeon! I went for the preston almost on impulse as it was set up in a shop and I could try it for feel and weight - I can procrastinate for England sometimes so I made the leap there and then. It's very light and comes with protective tubes and holdall and is pre-bushed. I'm going to start by fishing the top 3 or 4 sections on the canal and then building up to the full length. As I say, I'm sure it's overkill for my needs but hopefully it should get me used to pole fishing for when I move onto waters with better quality fish. I'll try and report back how I get on.
How did you get on with the Edge Monster Dicky? I am considering one myself as a first pole to see how I get on. It will be used for silvers and Bream/Tench/Crucian fishing.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
How did you get on with the Edge Monster Dicky? I am considering one myself as a first pole to see how I get on. It will be used for silvers and Bream/Tench/Crucian fishing.
It’s been really good - don’t feel the need to fish anything longer. Bought a couple of short top kits which are ideal for fishing shallow and up in the water. The pole is light and easy to manouevre, fine for silvers yet strong enough for the big lumps. I did manage to break the no 4 when the 3 and 4 got stuck together once (this seems to happen with all poles?) but a replacement section was only about £30.

Jcollins202

Sounds like it might be a worthwhile investment then. I've been using Rod and line to pleasure fish all my life but I'm attracted to the perfect presentation that pole fishing offers. I am a total beginner so am planning to use a margin pole to learn on. Out of interest what elastics do you use with it for silvers and do you use the original bushes/roller-puller? Many thanks in advance.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Sounds like it might be a worthwhile investment then. I've been using Rod and line to pleasure fish all my life but I'm attracted to the perfect presentation that pole fishing offers. I am a total beginner so am planning to use a margin pole to learn on. Out of interest what elastics do you use with it for silvers and do you use the original bushes/roller-puller? Many thanks in advance.
I was the same as you - always float fished with rod and line. Since buying a pole though, i probably use it more than my rod and for around £150 for a decent margin pole i think it’s a worthwhile investment. for silvers, i’d only use a light elastic, say a 10 or less. I use the hybrid elastics like matrix slik, nufish zipp or ng ultra core but there are obviously many different types and makes of elastic on the market. Search the maggotdrowners threads for more info on elastics - it can make your head spin!

At this time of year i’m using elastics around the 14 or 16 mark as the pools i fish have some decent carp in them. With elastics like this you lose a lot of smaller fish but you stand more chance of getting in bigger carp. There’s no one-size-fits-all unfortunately but something around the 12 mark is a general all-rounder

as for the roller pullers and bushes, i use the ones that come fitted to the to top kits. The preston ones on the margin monster are very good. Can’t comment on other makes as i’ve not used them.

fishing with a pole takes some getting used to but if you persevere i think you’ll find it very rewarding. You tend to need a lot more kit than just fishing with rod and line but i take both my pole and rod gear these days so i can have the best of both worlds

rudd

Site Supporter
I have a beastmaster but now discontinued, a mate just got the edge monster and it's very similar.
What, you mean its an 8.5m margin pole? No way hosay😂😂

rudd

Site Supporter
I did manage to break the no 4 when the 3 and 4 got stuck together once (this seems to happen with all poles?) but a replacement section was only about £30.
No this does not happen to all poles.
Only to those pushed together to hard 😉