Margin pole for a beginner

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
First post, so be gentle... I've just come back to fishing after 35 years and I'm looking to buy my first pole. I've recently been fishing my local canal (Macclesfield Canal) first using a cheap whip and then graduating to waggler on running line, generally catching small silver fish with the odd roach & skimmers to a pound and perch to two pound. I'm also hoping to fish local commercials but won't be targeting big fish - anything up to a few pounds would make me very happy. As such, I'm looking for a margin pole to help with presentation - I don't want anything too unwieldy as the canal I fish has narrow towpaths.

I don't want to spend more than £200 (in case I don't get on with pole fishing) so I've narrowed it down to the Preston Edge Monster Margin, the Drennan Series 7 Margin Carp and the Shimano BeastMaster, all 8.5m poles. On paper, my favourite is the Preston as it's light, well priced and seems well equipped. Does anyone have any experience with any of these poles or any similar ones? Any advice on these poles and pole fishing in general would be really helpful

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi there and welcome. :upthumb:
If I had that choice, it would be the Beastmaster. What you have to consider is spare tops and sections should they be needed.

Dusty

I’ve heard excellent reviews on the edge monster pole.
Have you considered second hand? You should be able to pick up a half decent 13m pole with a few top kits for £200.

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
I have 2 of the drennan series 7, and they are spot on mate.
Like you I bought a margin pole before moving up to something longer.
The drennan fits the bill mate ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Hey up Dicky lad welcome to the Site (y) Id go with the Beasty, hope ya get sorted ;)

rufcuk

Site Supporter
Edge monster super strong and light and if you don’t like will sell for almost as much as you paid for it

biggsy

Site Supporter
I have a beastmaster but now discontinued, a mate just got the edge monster and it's very similar.

Aztecca

Site Supporter
I have a beastmaster and can't fault it.Grab one new while you still can.Get an ext for less than £50 taking it over 10m if you want it a bit longer.

Louis D

Site Supporter
Don't know the forum protocol for this but, as it happens, I've got an original Beastmaster + spare top + 10 M extension that I keep meaning to sell and never get around to. In good nick and I'd let it go for £100. I live in Congleton so probably quite near if you're fishing the Macc canal. Apologies to the mods if I'm not supposed to do that, I'll find the naughty step on my own.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Don't know the forum protocol for this but, as it happens, I've got an original Beastmaster + spare top + 10 M extension that I keep meaning to sell and never get around to. In good nick and I'd let it go for £100. I live in Congleton so probably quite near if you're fishing the Macc canal. Apologies to the mods if I'm not supposed to do that, I'll find the naughty step on my own.

You should post it in the 'Classified' section under Tackle for sale. ;)

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I have no experience with the ones you have listed but you can get the older Daiwa margin pole ZR for £175
Topkits from Daiwa UK poles fit ( That's why I got it )

tedstriker

Site Supporter
only issue with the beastmaster, if you buy a new one, is that it doesn't come pre bushed and ready to elasticate, you would need to get the correct bush for the top kits along with bungs where the preston is ready to fish and the top kits have side pullas fitted

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Many thanks for the responses and advice - all helpful.
LouisD - I'm just a few miles from Congleton and I'm interested in the beastmaster you have for sale. Do you have a bit more info on the pole please - would you sell it fully kitted (elastic etc) and if so, what size bushes and elastic are fitted?
Neil of the Nene - I've already had a look at your guide and found it very useful, thanks.