Margin fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

johng19

me@home.com
Hi all just wondering, why when fishing margins and the likes, 4 or 5 meters out for big carp,trying to fight big carp on small margin poles with big 20s lackys.why not just use a rod you can put a pole float on, just swing it out. if you hit a big carp you can run it on the reel.Id like to here your view on this,i fish the pole alot and have been thinking of geting a margin pole,but would like to no how many use rods for this purpose if any in matches.

TheHat

John,

It makes much more sense to use a running line for the big 'uns close in than a pole. Unfortunately, there is an afflication called 'Poleitus' (which I have suffered myself) - obsession with the pole whatever the situation!

midge99

A pole is quicker to set up. but yes a waggler set up would be better. I am as guilty as the next bloke of this.

johng19

me@home.com
You can have your rod set up befor,you only need to us the reel if you get a big one on.

JOHN_M

I use a Middy Shock Stik, great for margins and it stops 'em dead.

JOHN_M

It's 3 metres I fish to hand with a dibber, 8lb line to a 10 or 12 hook. I'm telling you it's deadly.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
I absolutely battered the margins yesterday.

200lb pleasure session, beat my personal best by 160lb's lol, report and loads of pics coming up soon.

Killer bait all day was the new Dynamite Baits Frenzied Cat Meat, totally unstoppable.

My mate left his float tube at home so fished the tip, when the margins came alive (in horrendous rain btw), he dropped his ledger in 6 inches (yes inches) in front of him, then just carried the line back to his peg and also battered it with a total combined weight of over 300lbs.

Thanks to the margins, no need to ever fish more than 3 ft out after 4pm.

Benny

well what if there is a bush just overhangin the waters edge 14meter dwn the edge how are u ment to get the waggler underneath that then from ure peg!!!!!!!! that is why it makes more sense to use a pole. sometimes the carp can be reluctant to come to close to actual peg so may hang bak dwn the edge a bit so trying to get the waggler tight into the edge would be tricky and u may end up getting caught on overgrowth where with the pole u can feed acuratey dwn there and just drop the rig in. usually the big ones that u hoook dwn the edge if there isnt a snag will just swim out if u dont hit into them to hard.
ben

ubat

Nothing wrong with using a pole float on a rod fishing the margins, you are limited to where you can fish it though, it is exciting stuff.........

john83

Account Locked
poles are strong enough for lumps down the edge, as long as you use sensible balanced tackle there is no harm, plus i think you can get fish in just that bit quicker on the pole.

shaggy69

Shaggy69
What i would like to know is,what do you do if your fishing the pole in the margins and you hit a big carp that decides it's going to take a screaming run out to the middle of the lake.

I've had 20lb carp take 50mtrs of line of my reel on a screamer of a run,you can't do that on a pole

16Ewasko

Originally posted by john83

poles are strong enough for lumps down the edge, as long as you use sensible balanced tackle there is no harm, plus i think you can get fish in just that bit quicker on the pole.

Unlike the bloke who I saw a couple of years ago pole-fishing in the edge who hooked an unseen lump that went and went and went, he kept on adding section, after section, after section until he had no more and the elastic was stretched at least the length of the pole, until the fish decided to get around the back of an island and the pole broke.
Surely the tackle must have been unbalanced?

gibby

Use the tools for the job. A big fish needs to run before you can land it. A running line is far better for fish welfare than trying to tire out a double figure carp using a pole.

john83

Account Locked
i can get a double in the net before it knows its hooked [;)] not by using over the top elastic, it's how you play them.

as for the fish that powered off round the back of the island, possibly a foul hooked fish?

16Ewasko

Originally posted by john83

i can get a double in the net before it knows its hooked [;)] not by using over the top elastic, it's how you play them.

as for the fish that powered off round the back of the island, possibly a foul hooked fish?

Possibly, however there are fish to mid-30s in this lake and I have had them to mid 20s using carp tackle and they fight like stink. But surely the hooklength, mainline, or the elastic should break before the pole does?

john83

Account Locked
doubt i would use a pole for carp on a water that has 30's in. [:0]

i am confident using pole tactics for carp in this area as there is certainly no 30's [:D] and hardly any 20's lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.