Margin carp.

Carp attack

Yep! I'm doing that and a bit more too. 8mm only no groundbait it attracts bream, too many. So much as you do really, what is your shot arrangement how close to the hook, on of off the bottom with the shot? Agree its trial and error, I've been doing this for weeks now and feel I'm getting close, but still around 1/1 ratio of foul hookers sadly buddy. My floats are 5 no 8s?
I'd have it as a bulk on top of a 4 inch hook link, or if on a slight slope I spread them a inch apart an fish about a inch over depth,

JLK

Every venue is different but you can make things easier for yourself by keeping things simple.

Three differing methods for feeding down the edge. Groundbait is king.
1. Feed groundbait only. Very heavy wetted down fishmeal mix. Any manufacturers strongest fishmeal mix will do. No loose offerings whatsoever, then fish either worm or corn on the hook. If missing bites on one hookbait just switch to the other. Feed two lines left and right and after each fish feed a small pot and rotate.

2. Small cad pot of micros down the left and right edges. Fish right over each line with either corn or worm. Feed a small cadpot after every fish and go from there.

3. Starve them on the hook. Feed very small amounts of micros after each fish and fish a big bait on the hook.

Three different methods from three different venues I fish which will catch hundreds of pounds of fish by keeping the fishing simple and uncomplicated.

JLK

Carp aren't aren't bothered about the size of your float. They come in the edge to eat. Use as heavy a float as you can get away with for the depth of your edge line. It might be a small blob on one venue, or a .5/.6 on another.
The idea of heavy wetted down gbait and big baits is to keep the feed nailed on the deck when they start feeding and blowing. Light dry gbait and light hook baits will waft about and you'll start to get liners and foul hooker's. Put loose offerings in the mix and these get wafted about, causing you problems. No loose offerings and just your large heavy hookbait will catch you more fish with less foul hooker's.

Rick123

Site Supporter
But what made it better is a very small baitrunner.
As they moter off.then on set clutch .Was a faff before taking clutch off

Just been watching a guy do it with a pole, great fun. Don't know if its Cricket though?:unsure::unsure:

Rick123

Site Supporter
Every venue is different but you can make things easier for yourself by keeping things simple.

Three differing methods for feeding down the edge. Groundbait is king.
1. Feed groundbait only. Very heavy wetted down fishmeal mix. Any manufacturers strongest fishmeal mix will do. No loose offerings whatsoever, then fish either worm or corn on the hook. If missing bites on one hookbait just switch to the other. Feed two lines left and right and after each fish feed a small pot and rotate.

2. Small cad pot of micros down the left and right edges. Fish right over each line with either corn or worm. Feed a small cadpot after every fish and go from there.

3. Starve them on the hook. Feed very small amounts of micros after each fish and fish a big bait on the hook.

Three different methods from three different venues I fish which will catch hundreds of pounds of fish by keeping the fishing simple and uncomplicated.

Most of the professionals now agree that groundbait increases foul hooking, as the carp spread it all over the place, no natter how wet it is? But I will try what others and yourself have suggested, and thats feed less. It's clear I have too many carp in the peg. But I'm still buzzing from 10 fish for over 100lb buddy. best wishes Richard.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Are you getting the rig as close to the bank as possible so fish cant come from behind ?

I know on many recently dug commercials where growth is cut back daily thats possible. But if you pull the float back against the bank here you're in 3'' of water. Then a foot out 6'' then a meter out 3' so not as easy as suggested, but I get the idea anyway and bait accordingly. Thanks.

Fred Davis

you really have to ring the changes if your having problems, one of my mates loves his margin fishing and I can remember when we fished the national post office teams of 4 at woodland veiw fisheries, these matches were run once a year, and thoroughly enjoyable, obviously the margins came into play dependant on the swim you had and what worked on the day, now our success rate on the venue was very high between 27 and 30 teams fished the event and I don't think we ever came out of the top 4 winning on numerous occasions, however within the team we had anglers who were proficient at various disciplines shallow fishing, feeder fishing, etc Tony was I think our most proficient margin master, obviously we all chatted and shared our experiences, in those early days margin work was not my forte, however it was only with the help of others that you manage to up your game, In one particular match i had struggled in the margins missing bites, foul hooking fish, scored good points for the team but knew i had not got it sorted by any means, Tony on the other hand had made the main frame fishing the margins obviously what he said afterwards makes you realise that although we have these pre set ideas on how we fish a peg we need to realise it's the fish that dictate to us how they want to feed, Tony said he had all the same problems foul hooking missing bites ect in 2ft of water! what did he do well he fished at half depth and nailed every bite after the change. In another match at the glebe In a two day event I had won the match on my lake drawing a flier on uglies fishing to the woodwork at one end of the boundary, the second day I had drawn on another lake but my good friend Giles Cochrane had drawn the same end by the woodwork opposite side and had asked how I fished it, after explaining my tactics, he went on to have a mega weight and win the day, I asked him how he had fished it, he said he had fished it how I had explained but was having problems, so he switched to fishing casters again the problems continued foul hookers missed bites etc however he had got it sorted, Barry Gannon had joined us at Giles peg and obviously we said what did you do, he said i moved the rig up an inch at a time until I got them proper, now personally I have not as yet caught at half depth in the margins but I always have it as a tactic to try if I am having problems, as I do now realise that you have to fish how the fish want it, not how you want to fish.