Mapperley reservoir, Shipley country park, ilkeston

Jonny Trent

Hi,
Has anyone fished this venue? Took a walk round it today. It’s a beautiful large venue with brilliant pegs, all nicely looked after but not a soul fishing it. I know a lot of anglers now fish commercials, but that’s not for me, I prefer natural venues. I’m specifically looking to fish this venue for tench. Any info on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Used to fish it 50 years ago when it was controleld by the NCB, as you say, beautiful venue and once the home of the record carp. If my memory serves me correctly, that fish is still exhibited in Wollaton Hall. When I fished it there were no looked after pegs, it was totally wild and there was a bank that was private due to some rare birds or plants or some such thing, I cannot remember for certain but that is the bank that everyone wanted to fish. We used to get some nice tench, up to 4-5lbs and again, if my memory serves there were some 'clonking' roach which my Dad used to catch with caster over hemp.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Who controls the fishing now? Not far from me and always on the lookout for new venues especially if they hold tench and nice roach.

jononcb

Still the NCB no.5 area own the fishing rights to Mapperley and Ozzies pond.
Still odd decent Tench in there although it's probably easier to catch some big Bream that's in there!!
Deepest end is the Dam wall road end.
People avoid it as the payable parking is a pain but I think you can get a seasonal parking permit.

Jonny Trent

Used to fish it 50 years ago when it was controleld by the NCB, as you say, beautiful venue and once the home of the record carp. If my memory serves me correctly, that fish is still exhibited in Wollaton Hall. When I fished it there were no looked after pegs, it was totally wild and there was a bank that was private due to some rare birds or plants or some such thing, I cannot remember for certain but that is the bank that everyone wanted to fish. We used to get some nice tench, up to 4-5lbs and again, if my memory serves there were some 'clonking' roach which my Dad used to catch with caster over hemp.
Thanks very much for the info Dave, albeit a tad out of date ?