Map Z36 Seat box

NickNewman

apologies if hijacking the thread......its interesting to see these issues with the MAP seatboxes. I was looking to change/upgrade my maver 25mm signature (excellent box) and seriously considered the MAP Z30. Saw a few negative reviews about poor workmanship of seats and splitting covers so slowed myself down a bit and then had the chance to see a Z36 "in the flesh". It looked a nice box but it didnt feel like a £600 plus box....In the end I plunged for a Garbo D36 on special offer for £495. An absolute bargain iMho and its half the weight (or feels like it) of my Mxi.

Anyone else disappointed with their MAP ?
I'm honestly very happy with the z36 Elite, but for the drawers. I was hoping for a better response from TackleUK about my issue (and many more of their faulty products), yet as previously mentioned their support is so slow, no phone contact and they simply reply with 'we don't have an EU return policy'. I understand so much, but for a £64 replacement item, with videos and fill details provided to themselves and MAP, I would have thought it simply good customer service to arrive a replacement part or simply pay for the return delivery of said replacement part. They have since requested I return the entire unit at my own expense so they can replace the part. They didn't reimburse my return of the Preston kitsafe which was faulty either, and expect me to layout 80+ euros to return the entire box which I fixed with double sided tape! Rant aside, is an excellent Vic with excellent accessories and it's light too, although I haven't filled it full of tackle, I'm pretty minimalist on the bank. Just a complete shame for this design fault/oversight and lack of customer care from TackleUk. They also have an extremely high postage cost compared to their competitors AD.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
@Anglingman
I’ve the mapz30 and I’m very happy with it, picked up from Nathan’s in Stoke for £399. it does the same bowing but I never click drawers close while fishing so the problem doesn’t bother me. The seat split I believe they’ve fixed by changing the seat slightly.
Now the pole support, that’s another matter. It’s bloody huge, looks decent but it’s further away from me on the box. So it’s really in the way when netting fish.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Very happy with my H30 lite with extra winder tray and deep drawer, no problems at all, excellent piece of kit.

RichBeech

apologies if hijacking the thread......its interesting to see these issues with the MAP seatboxes. I was looking to change/upgrade my maver 25mm signature (excellent box) and seriously considered the MAP Z30. Saw a few negative reviews about poor workmanship of seats and splitting covers so slowed myself down a bit and then had the chance to see a Z36 "in the flesh". It looked a nice box but it didnt feel like a £600 plus box....In the end I plunged for a Garbo D36 on special offer for £495. An absolute bargain iMho and its half the weight (or feels like it) of my Mxi.

Anyone else disappointed with their MAP ?

I've had a Z30 for almost 3 years now and I've been very happy with mine. I don't actually go fishing that often nowadays, so it doesn't get hammered every weekend. The seat has started to split at the edge but I thought that was just general wear and tear. I remember seeing a photo of Andy Bennetts Z30 when he had one and the seat was battered. I've had one of the rivots which prevents the footplate from coming out too far snap off. Not sure when it happened. So now when I fully extend the footplate it's not quite right and one side comes out slightly further than the other if that makes sense. That is a bit annoying in all honesty but it was out of warranty when it happened so I didn't think there was much I could do about it.

Other than that I do really like mine. I came from an original Daiwa 150SB and it felt like a huge step up from that. With an extra drawer on it's just a nice height for me to sit on. I find it more than stable enough and there is a good amount of room on the footplate. Not had any issues with the drawers either and can fit a nice selection of stuff in the deep ones. I also only paid £375 for it as well on Black Friday when at the time it was still selling for £500 everywhere else.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
interesting.....3 replies all saying you're happy but all reporting problems after what seems is minimal wear, I would expect more from a branded manufacturer. Have not have had enough use of my garbo yet to make a decent assessment but will defo report good and bad once the time comes.

NickNewman

interesting.....3 replies all saying you're happy but all reporting problems after what seems is minimal wear, I would expect more from a branded manufacturer. Have not have had enough use of my garbo yet to make a decent assessment but will defo report good and bad once the time comes.
Looks-great
Function-brilliant
Weight-very light compared to my last onbox
Size-cushion feels a tad small but I've not tried other brands. It fits nicely in my 1 series.
Storage-large draw works great, shallow draw faulty, yet works perfectly with double sided tape mod.
180°swivel mud feet system- completely absent, I guess they removed it for some reason.
So for me, 4/5. It's a Shame, everything on it feels really good, I'm going to keep my cushion supply with a care kit and see. I would expect a replacement draw and then it would probably get 4.5/5.

RichBeech

Yea I know what you're saying however the tears in the seat are very small and nothing to cry over. The problem with the rivet is more substantial and I was contemplating contacting MAP about it however it coincided with me not really going fishing as much as I used to so I just got on with it. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't affect the performance of the box and as I said it was out of warranty anyway so I probably would have been fobbed off so I didn't want to waste my time.

But looking at the other key things it's been very good:
It's comfortable and a nice height to fish off for me personally
Legs are stable and have never slipped on me once
All locking mechanisms still work as good as they did when it was new
The paint job is good - no chips or flaking off of the paint
The legs seem to be very durable and haven't lost all the paintwork from sliding attachments on and off
It's not overly heavy imo and very easy to lift in and out of the car
The drawers still function very well and don't stick or jam or fall out too easily.

So overall I would probably give it an 8/10 and as I got it at a very good price I'm happy with it.

William Hill

Anyone notice changes in the MAP Z36 Elite seatbox design? There are no longer swivel feat and the shallow draws are a bit iffy when you sit in the box? I'm only 80kg try the shallow draw wouldn't open due to a slight bow in the shallow draw, fixed with double sided tape. Still, not what you expect from 699+ box?
Had my z36 nearly a year now no problems with any of it ,alot lighter than my milo,more than pleased with it

NickNewman

Had my z36 nearly a year now no problems with any of it ,alot lighter than my milo,more than pleased with it
I'm glad to hear, but according to MAP it is a design fault on every box. The top draw will not close without a really really good push, rendering the magnetic Smith closing system pointless. So much so that I have been advised that they will be releasing a 'fix' that we all have to buy! 😄. It will improve the support of the top draw bracket as at present it is pushed down by the seat itself as there is no support for it in its center. It's a massive design flaw and very very disappointing to say the least. MAP know about it yet have done nothing, but I guess they aren't likely to shout it from the rooftops. A recall might have been acceptable but again I can understand it not being so as it's not a critical fault, just terrible design. The box itself is fantastic but the advert shows swivel feet, another unannounced design change it would seem.

alanmac

Site Supporter
Had my Z30 two years plus and overall not really happy, funny how we all seem to have different issues, the one good point is the drawers are fine when sat on the box and are moveable without having to lift off the seat. The down side are the legs don’t lock very well unless I apply extreme pressure to lock them, then if hands are wet so difficult to unlock.

Had to replace the seat after six moths as the corners started to wear and tear. The one thing that drives me to the point of despair is alining the footplate with the two side spring pins to lock it. There are two small holes at the rear of the foot plate track and locating them is a pain.

Have been looking at the Rive’s but apart from the price they are 36ml legs so all attachments have to be replaced, then makes it very expensive.

Think I paid near circa £500 for the Z30 and bought it blind, felt it would decent quality but after trying many boxes so far feel I won’t find the Holy Grail of boxes anytime soon.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Garbolino have just bought out a new seatbox and with 25mm legs

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
so a 6 month warts and all review on my Garbo GBC 36-71 (36mm legs)

Bought in the summer of 2020 from Baileys of Warwick for £499. It has been used typically once a week since.
It is my first 36mm system, this has been a real benefit over my previous 25mm seatbox.

Positives:
  • In turn leg system makes overall footprint smaller without compromising stability.
  • Extending leg locking pin system very strong, box does not move.
  • Double spirit levels allow levelling of box easily.
  • Hand wheels lock legs tightly, do not mark legs.
  • Shallow and Deep drawers open and close as they should and are sensibly sectioned.
  • Drawers do not fall out in transit, magnet system works well
  • It is light, no problem transferring into the car.
  • Good height to fish from with my short legs !
  • Seat is finished off well and is comfortable for a match.
  • Winder stack system locks into frame well
  • Supports lots of accessories.
  • Looks good, I prefer subtle rather than "in your face" colour schemes

Negatives:
  • Paint has flaked off of the frame in all the moving contact areas (eg footplate runners)
  • Hand wheels are deliberately small to reduce overall weight/size but can be hard to turn if wet
  • It is a foam seat, its ok but my previous Gel seat was much better.
  • Can get water ingress in drawers in very heavy rain requiring drying at home.
  • The winder stack system is designed (aren't they all) specifically for Garbo winder, the garbo winders are expensive and only one per rig.
  • Given above I had to modify my preston winder trays to fit double rigs.
  • Footplate will require a respray to recolour.

Overall I have to say I am very impressed especially at the price paid and would recommend.
Offering a gel seat would be a great enhancement for me. I suspect the current foam seat will fail at some point whereas 6 years of heavy use of my previous Maver gel seat was still going strong. Stability is a fantastic and makes fishing a match a comfortable place to be,