Map X4 4 wheeled trolley

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I was a bit sceptical about buying another trolley because I had already bought and sold two two wheel trolleys because I couldn’t manage to push them. I was also a bit concerned that four wheel trolleys never seem to have a steering axle.

Well I did eventually give in and ordered a MAP X4. So were my fears well founded? Well not at all as it turns out. Since I’ve had it (two months or more now) I’ve only needed to push it on fairly level ground or just up a gentle incline. My experience however has been really positive. It is very stable and pushes incredibly easily even when fully loaded an on muddy ground or through thick grass. It steers fine and if you have to turn very sharply you just press down to take the weight off the front wheels for a few seconds.

I did a lot of thorough research before I bought it and preferred the design to the Preston, Frenzee and Matrix offerings. It has a lower centre of gravity than some of the others and there are a number of options in terms of how far apart you can space the wheels. It is therefore really stable if you set it up right. I have the wheels set narrow at the front where my seatbox sits and wide at the back for stability. It is lighter than most others and very easy to lift in and out of the van. I just remove the handle piece for transport, fold down the front support, lift it up and roll it in. if you want to carry it in a smaller vehicle you can easily remove the wheels as well so it folds flat. It even comes with a nice carrying case to keep it all together and protect it. It would also protect your carpet from the muddy wheels.

The other thing i really liked was the fact you could slide the front half in and out thus adjusting the length. If I need to put all my luggage on it as well as my box I have it set full length which is pretty long. If on the other hand I just want to carry my box and a few bits and pieces I slide it in so the length is less. Other trolleys either have no length adjustment or a lot less than the MAP.

I also really like the fact that the big storage bag attached to the handle end is included in the price as is the carry case. These are extras on everybody elses trolleys. The price is similar to the others but when you take into consideration everything that comes with it it is a relatively cheap option. The only cost option for it is a front bag which, unless you have a ridiculous amount of stuff, is totally unnecessary. It cost me £160 with free delivery and I consider it exceptional value for money.

So are there any problems/downsides to it. Yes, a couple of minor ones. The centre of gravity is over the rear axle so with nothing on it it tips backward rather willingly. If you put the handles on and start putting stuff in the rear bag it tips up. I don’t find this a problem though and the way I set it up is to put my box on it first, even before I fit the handles.

The only other downside is that if you keep using it without checking occasionally the knobs can work loose, particularly the ones holding the wheels on. This is a problem with pretty much any trolley and I’ve heard shuttle users complain about this in particular.

In conclusion, buy one and you won‘t regret it. Especially if you have only used two wheel trolleys in the past. I love it. The combination of swapping my car for a decent van and buying this trolley have taken all the pain out of fishing and this from someone with slightly reduced mobility who was thinking of packing it all in six months ago. I’ve certainly increased the frequency of my fishing trips.

I know people who speak highly of the other trolleys on the market which they own and that is good. We need diversity and a competitive market place. From my point of view I definitely made the right choice for me so I thought I would leave a review. (y):)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
I love the M4, mine stays set up in my brothers van though i always check the screws but they are done up tight and never had them move now lol

Glad you are happy, i love mine to bits though on the front i switched the tyres so they are both face from out to in as my box legs were catching on them before and i find it makes it a bit move easier to turn (never tipped it over either!) lol

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I love the M4, mine stays set up in my brothers van though i always check the screws but they are done up tight and never had them move now lol

Glad you are happy, i love mine to bits though on the front i switched the tyres so they are both face from out to in as my box legs were catching on them before and i find it makes it a bit move easier to turn (never tipped it over either!) lol
Yeah that’s how mine is set up.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Like mine easier to use then 2 wheel matrix transporter never seem to be safe to push without handles coming loose
Lot more easier to set up and load up the map just got to test on long walk on uneven ground now have had screws come loose though so have to keep a eye out for that

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
Thinking about ordering one in the New Year so after that positive review i will get one Where did you order yours from ?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I bought it from Danson Angling because they had stock at the time. They don’t seem to have them any more.

Total

Site Supporter
@Markywhizz.....A decent/comprehensive review Mr Whizz, thank you....:)....The Maps trolley was on my consideration list when trolley hunting and indeed rated highly, until I went to view one...:confused:

Everyone I fish with rated the Preston trolley. Even with the extra two wheels, it didn't rock my boat either...:(....Nearly two years on, my buggered back has thanked me for investing in a Penrose 4 wheeled trolley/platform....;):)

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
@Markywhizz.....A decent/comprehensive review Mr Whizz, thank you....:)....The Maps trolley was on my consideration list when trolley hunting and indeed rated highly, until I went to view one...:confused:

Everyone I fish with rated the Preston trolley. Even with the extra two wheels, it didn't rock my boat either...:(....Nearly two years on, my buggered back has thanked me for investing in a Penrose 4 wheeled trolley/platform....;):)
Yes I’ve heard good things about them.