MAP vs Preston

Tom W

Hi guys,

This will be my first post so be gentle! Another pole thread I'm afraid, but I hope I have done some homework to make my question more focused. I have read Gaz's thread and Neil's guide to pole fishing before making any choices.

I am coming back from a 10 year hiatus from fishing. I was always a rod and reel angler previously. I bought a cheap 6m whip on a whim to have a go in the margins this summer and became hooked (excuse the pun) on the idea of pole fishing. With this in mind I'm looking now for a margin pole, but also with a view to buying a longer pole also once I've gained confidence with 9m ish.

I visited a fairly local pole alley and found that I liked the Preston Edge Monster and the MAP TKS Power Margin. My budget is around £200 for this pole so they both fit comfortably within this. I am happy to buy either of these, but my question is more around which I should buy in terms of moving on - i.e which 'system' is regarded as better, the MAP or Preston. For my next pole I'd be looking to spend around £500, so I'd be looking at the MAP TKS 101 3G 13m or the Preston ProType X200 13m. I am keen to keep with the same pole for both just to make use of using top kits for either.

Cheers.

johng19

me@home.com
You could get a thousand different answers to this, it all comes down to your own preference.
Dont think what ever one you get you will be disappointed.

Personally I would not get a margin pole, as you are planning getting somthing a bit longer in time. I'd get the longer one first, some good strong longer poles, that will handle margin fish with ease. But as for the make of pole everyone had there own ideas. For me its Daiwa.
My argument for having 2 poles is I carry enough as it is, I'd like less rather than more.

Tom W

You could get a thousand different answers to this, it all comes down to your own preference.
Dont think what ever one you get you will be disappointed.

Personally I would not get a margin pole, as you are planning getting somthing a bit longer in time. I'd get the longer one first, some good strong longer poles, that will handle margin fish with ease. But as for the make of pole everyone had there own ideas. For me its Daiwa.
My argument for having 2 poles is I carry enough as it is, I'd like less rather than more.
Fair enough John, from reading around they both appear to have good reputations. I think I was just checking to see there wasn't some reason someone may suggest one would have the edge.

Interesting take on the margin pole too. Would you have an opinion on what sort of longer pole may suit? Assume you would pick a Daiwa one?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
A few on here recommend Tricast, a British firm who have a good spares back up. Have a look around on the 'net and see what spares are available for a 5 year old pole of any manufacturer, some are interchangeable with each other, if spares are hard to get it would put me off.

johng19

me@home.com
Depends on what you wish to pay, if your not sure what you want have a look at some second hand ones.
G8 G20 G50 Whisker all good poles.
Iv had g8 _ whisker au_ and now tournament pro. All been very good poles.
The G8 is very strong and at the lengths your talking brilliant. Pick one up quite cheap. All the top kits of the poles iv had fit all the poles iv had, so have now got loads of tops.

Tom W

A few on here recommend Tricast, a British firm who have a good spares back up. Have a look around on the 'net and see what spares are available for a 5 year old pole of any manufacturer, some are interchangeable with each other, if spares are hard to get it would put me off.
Thanks for that, I'd not seen or considered them so will take a look.

Leafy

Leafy
Thanks for that, I'd not seen or considered them so will take a look.
Did you get your pole?

I'd pick the tks map power margin ... in answer to your question. Then get a map 101 3g down the line. You would be best just getting the 101 3g straight off but mayb you wanna practice on somat a bit less pricey?

I own a margin pole .. iv got a middy white knuckle but I'm getting a map 101 3g after xmas (mayb before)

Iv heard preston margin monsters are bit delicate in the number 4 section but mayb its user error. I did read a couple of reviews moaning g about weak section 4s.

Iv read excellent reviews for all the map poles. The map tks power margin could swap top kits with your 101. All tks top kits fits any tks pole. 100% the map ?

Bet you bought the preston ?

tedstriker

Site Supporter
the edge monster and margin monster are different poles leaft, i have the monster margin and it does feel soft and i rarely use it but have had double figure fish on it

you would be better off getting the longer pole as you would be spending the 200 quid and then finding you are not using it as much when you get the longer pole

Tom W

Did you get your pole?

I'd pick the tks map power margin ... in answer to your question. Then get a map 101 3g down the line. You would be best just getting the 101 3g straight off but mayb you wanna practice on somat a bit less pricey?

I own a margin pole .. iv got a middy white knuckle but I'm getting a map 101 3g after xmas (mayb before)

Iv heard preston margin monsters are bit delicate in the number 4 section but mayb its user error. I did read a couple of reviews moaning g about weak section 4s.

Iv read excellent reviews for all the map poles. The map tks power margin could swap top kits with your 101. All tks top kits fits any tks pole. 100% the map ?

Bet you bought the preston ?

Hey Leafy, you could have guessed it couldn't you?! I did indeed buy the Preston. I've used it already for some fairly beefy carp (up to about 10lb so far) and it's handled them with ease. I'm still considering my next purchase but I'm happy this has been a good choice so far.

I'm also not perhaps completely averse to buying a MAP later, I'll keep looking at the two, but perhaps the Preston does make more sense now I've bought into their top kits.