Map tks 401 3g

Bingo

Anyone know the difference in weight between the 3 and the 4 searched about but cand find it , is the 4 more expensive because of more top kits or is it because its lighter and stiffer at 14.5 meters, got a maver one a few years ago and in shop seemed ok to handle but as the years have gone by im finding it a struggle and looking around it seems other poles are much stiffer and lighter .cheers

tedstriker

Site Supporter
the 401 is most likely going to be marginally lighter and stiffer than the 301, the original and 2g versions of the 301 and 401 were on a different mandrel, not sure if that's still the case with the 3g series

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Maver 401 and the MAP 401 are completely different poles, just a coincidence that they share the 401 number in their designation.
The following may help your choice between a new 301 or 401.......
1564571373102.png

The 3G 401 has the better quality top kits which should be marginally lighter.

Witches valley

Account Locked
Normally as @Peter says above each pole in the range are slightly different. With poles the more expensive they are the more lighter and stiffer they are, unfortunately they are also more prone to breaking from misuse. Something for you to bear in mind.

Ricardo4262

Both great poles the 401 is slightly stiffer at full length. And is made on a different mandrel the same as the 201 and 101 as far as I'm aware. The 401 is on the mandrel of the 501 and 601 I was told. Also The top kits on the 401 are stiffer and of a higher grade carbon. If your going to fish at full length then the 401 is a better option but at shorter lengths you won't notice much difference

sammi001

Hey,

Thought I’d add to the group chat...

I’ve just upgraded to the 401 3G and it arrived today. As an excited kid I went straight to Wood Lane in Iver to give it a test. I was fishing at 13m up in the water and caught around 15 carp, the biggest being just over 10lb. The pole handled them with ease and even the first time using it I felt really confident. The top kits supplied is great value for money and the hold-all is amazing with loads of room. I banged a 14 hollow in two top kits and was a joy to use. I’ve normally spent £500 on a pole so this is a lot of money for me personally. The balance when shipping back is fantastic and easy to get sections on when a fish runs.

Negatives: too heavy to fish at 14.5 but that’s being ultra critical. I never fish past 11m anyway as I fish paste on the bottom, pellet up in the water and margins. 11 is plenty for me, but I like the security of having 14.5 just in case I get a big run! I did fish 13 today just to see what it was like...

It does start to droop at 13 but is still comfortable to fish!

I spent ages looking at poles and went to so many shops for advice. Steevo at Marsh Farm fishery (Apollo angling) pointed me in the right direction as I’d never tried a map pole. If you fishing is similar to mine you’ll love it!!

I was gonna for the 501 but it would have been a waste as I’m never gonna fish at 16m

Hope this helps.

Scott

tedstriker

Site Supporter
i found that when using a longer pole, if you weren't used to it then it was heavy but the more you use it at the longer length the easier it becomes

parkes

Ted above is right. I have had the 501 2g for about a year now, once I had been to 16m it was at first uncomfortable but got easier the more I ventured out. Only downside is I have started looking at the flagship end of MAP!
But reality is I do not go 16m often enough at my locals to warrant the price.
Mate, the 401 is a great pole and the distances you state, I would say the 401 is if anything, above what you require.

sammi001

Ted above is right. I have had the 501 2g for about a year now, once I had been to 16m it was at first uncomfortable but got easier the more I ventured out. Only downside is I have started looking at the flagship end of MAP!
But reality is I do not go 16m often enough at my locals to warrant the price.
Mate, the 401 is a great pole and the distances you state, I would say the 401 is if anything, above what you require.

I think you have hit the nail on the head! There's always going to be a better pole on the market. I'm just gonna enjoy what I have. They'll probably end up upgrading it next year, just like an iphone....

Does a short number 3 make any difference?

I went fishing the weekend and my mrs said you've been fishing all day at 11m and caught nothing. You move in two inches from the bank and you caught loads why you need such a long pole. Guess that says it all really lol

Scotty

tedstriker

Site Supporter
the short 3 will stiffen the pole up but you'll lose a bit of distance so an extra section would need to go on to fish at the same distance