MAP TKS 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev101

Bogs Dalls
Do you reccon that MAP felt there pricing was low for last years TKS range as reports are good and that the new TKS range is the same range rebranded with price increases.

i.e the TKS 625 is actually the TKS 50.

Would be interested to see what the MAP users think as i expect some will have checked to see the difference.

Serious Sam

Seriously Serious
Spot on I think, they got such good reviews and were in such demand I reckon they just repackaged them and added a couple of hundred quid. The 525 now is supposed to be the same as the old 40 and the 625 is the 50 as you say and so it goes down the range.

Pretty cinical way to do business I think :-/

batman

I think that poles have gone up in price recently through all ranges and brands.

Nev101

Bogs Dalls
I dont see a problem in uplifting the price and covering rising materials cost to maintain acceptable margins, or even telling us that they were sold at a slightly reduced margin last year as a promotion to get the business and puting it up this year because of the good reviews, it would have justified it, and like me, i may have took it on the chin because i knew i was getting a winner?

Not anymore, back to square one after all that hard work.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
All prices have gone up not just poles
Exchange rates , high shipping/transport costs and an increase in raw materials will not be helping.

Nev101

Bogs Dalls
Originally posted by pauln

All prices have gone up not just poles
Exchange rates , high shipping/transport costs and an increase in raw materials will not be helping.

So what, call it the same thing, dont change its name.

mike robinson

Different pole range from the original poles.

Yes, some are produced using the same mandrels, but there are differences between the new range and older range. Better quality carbons have been used to improve rigidity and weight on all the new models. For example the TKS425 is stiffer than the original TKS40, but much slimmer, and uses a different mandrel than the TKS40. The TKS525 is slighter more rigid than the original TKS40, but lighter and stronger.

Pole technology is coming very close to levelling out and its getting more and more difficult to improve them and keep them in the same price bracket. For example if you change the carbon from lets say 50 tonne to 60 tonne on a few sections to improve the pole, it can go up an extra 100/150 RRP!

Steve5250

My understanding is that the 625 is not simply a re badged tks 50. The 625 is lighter stiffer and also stronger than the 50 was, due to a different grade of carbon being used.

I had a tks 40 and whilst it was a great pole out to 13 m, at 14.5 it was heavy and took on a fair bit of wobble, and 16m was certainly not great, but at this price point it was as good as if not better than most of the competition.

I now have a 625, which is altogether a better pole, eminantly fishable at 14.5 all day (6 hour match), and whilst it is hard work at 16 it is still fishable. It is noticably lighter and stiffer at all lengths, and this shows most when cupping out bait and also when playing larger fish.

I fished a 6 hour match on weds, and the 625 showed its versatility, by banging out loadsa little rudd and ide and F1's, on the match kit with yellow bungee for the first couple of hours, before skull dragging out 11 carp to 12lb 2oz on floating dog biscuit against overhanging trees with drennan red bungee (18+ hollow I think)in the power tops, it coped superbly and I certainly felt a lot better at the end of the match even though I didn't win, I could walk straight, and my back and elbow were fine next morning.

Hope this helps, I not in anyway sponsored by MAP, and paid full SSP when i bought the pole, so hope this will be read as an objective fair review.

Last edited:

luckypiker

I have owned a tks 50 for the last 7 months and my brother the tks 40 for nearly two years. My tks50 is identical to the tks40 up until the 5 section then the mandrel is different.
The '40' is great at 13m but pretty heavy at 14m although maneagable and hard work at 16m. The tks 50 is brilliant and ive held it all day at 14m with no problems it does lose it a bit at 16m and is harder work at this length unsupported for the duration of a match.
Ive found the match kits with the no1 removed to be very strong and as they are lighter than the power kits i use them more unless im fishing for really big fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.