MAP or Preston 13mtr pole?

Tristar

Site Supporter
Hello, hope everyone is ok?

I'm looking for any advice on which pole to buy. My limit is £500, I have done some research but need a bit of help from anyone who has these poles? I fish a club water that has features around the 13mtr line, fish range from small roach to double figure carp. I also fish commercials near to me that have a variety of fish but mainly match sized carp with a few doubles too. I'm looking at fishing the Leeds to Liverpool in Adlington this year so looking for a pole that will be suitable for my needs.

I have looked online and two Poles that stand out are the MAP TKS 101 3G 13mtr and the Preston (I think Protype X100).

I know there's a lot of questions but any help or advice is appreciated, feel silly asking this question but looking for any help.

Many thanks.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Hi,

I don't have the MAP 101 3G But I know a guy who does. He doesn't use it very much but from what I've heard it's a great piece of kit. If it counts for anything, I personally have the 201 3G And I love it. Super comfortable, Great finish and more importantly lightweight enough for silver fishing which I use it regularly for. I think it's about £100 more than your budget however. I'm not sure about the Preston X100 but the TKS range sections are also easily replaceable which is another big plus, And the Top kits are also well priced and easy enough to come by. I've also heard that MAP Customer Support it excellent, Another thing to take into account before making a purchase.

You also get a cupping kit with the 101 and a Mini extension that brings it to 13.5M. By the looks of it, The Preston doesn't come with either and depending on the package, You may not even get a Match Kit with it(?)

My 201 3G Also came with a lovely quality holdall with padding. I'm not sure if the 101 will come in a similar holdall but it's something to take into account. a lot of manufacturers give you a terrible quality standard pole holdall as they expect you to upgrade on your own, But I'd have happily kept my gear inside the MAP Holdall provided.

Best of luck on your decision.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Are you after new or used. If used then look on Facebook at the various tackle pages . There are always some good deals on there.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Hi Mate I Have the x300 and love it, Just check what extras you get as well, not sure package for package now but I think you get more top kits with the X100 than you would with the MAP, on the budget they are both decent bits of kit, but if one has a top kit more than the other, its worth £50 more in the real world if you were to want to buy another.?

If you can find any in stock you can buy the x200 for £499 to £510 and they come with a match top three & 3 power pulla kits and a Cupping kit

Last edited:

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I’ve the MAP 101 & have no complaints with it at all. Must say, I’ve managed to get new top kits for it for less than £50. Worth keeping an eye open on EBay & Amazon as new poles often come up for sale at less than retail.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Decent poles mate. I’d only change mine if wanted a 14.5 one. I’ve tended to get spare top kits either from Bobco or Ebay for around £35. Remember that most TKS top kits are compatible.