Map Dual luggage

Nickb20

Hi all, I have just posted a reply to my own topic in the tackle talk section but thought it may be worth posting my review in to this section instead so here it is;

Well I did bite the bullet and went for the luggage, have had it for a couple of weeks now meaning a couple of trips out so thought I would post up a little review of it as there is none about at the moment.
I went with the 8 tube/4 rod holdall, the large carryall and the tackle and bait bag.

holdall - based around the layflat design with a fair amount of room in the tube compartment, could do with some velcro straps in the rod compartment to keep rods secured as they seem to fall out of their own individual seperated bits all the time. There seems to be a bit of tension on the zip that keeps the rod compartment closed, I think this is due to the hard casing bit that is curved and that might loosen up when its been used a bit, there are no problems with the zips themselves and they look nice and bulky. I am not too sure on the hardiness of the material itself, mine already has a couple of scratches on it from being pulled in and out of the (overcrowded) car, I suppose only time will tell if this lasts and it was never going to stay perfect. Because of the design I wouldnt like to carry the holdall by the strap too far, the compartment without the strap on tends to swing around and seems to put stress on the zip that joins them together, luckily I can get mine on my trolley. I think I have made it look like there are loads of bad points but honestly overall I am really happy with the holdall, the design makes it so easy to get to stuff when I am at the peg and it looks really stylish IMHO.

Carryall - Again based on the layflat design but with two fold out compartments instead of the three, also has a 'net' sleeve but I have managed to get a Maver MX tray in that along with a bait riddle and Preston hoop for the groundbait bowl so loads of room. Not much room in the compartments themselves but ideal for what I use it for (a bit of lunch and seatbox accesories). Again everything is really easy to get to and can be seperated, also looks really good.

Bait and tackle bag - I seem to take a lot of bait to the bank with me 'just in case' so went for this one as it looked larger, the tackle compartment is obviously not lined but is good for carrying bags of pellets and tins etc. The top compartment is lined and huge it can fit probably 8, 3 pint bait boxes in, still not sure why the top needs to be clear but it does look good. When this came through I thought it looked massive and I could have probably got away with the dual bait carrier, I have managed to fill it up though. I like that each compartment seperates completely from the other so it can be arranged behind your box for easy access.

Overall with the luggage I am very happy, as I said I have only used them a couple of times so cant comment on longevity at the moment but at least I will look good for as long as they last. I think over time I may invest in some smaller accesory bags that fit inside these so everything is ultra organised but thats just my OCD kicking in a bit. When I looked around at the other luggage out there at the moment this set looked like the best value for design and having had a try with them I think I have made a good choice, especially on the price I paid by shopping around a bit.

I am not very experienced with luggage as these are replacing my old 'cheapo' luggage that I have had for quite a few years so anything would look good against that but this is purely my opinion at the moment, I am not affiliated with MAP in any way.

If anyone is thinking about going for this luggage and wants to know anything give me a shout and I will do my best.

CupraR

Nice write up Nick.

I'm contemplating a new holdall at the moment and was going to get the MAP Parabolix lay flat holdall then I saw these.

Not sure which to get now. Might have to pop along to bobco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Parabolix. I bought the six tube lay flat rod holdall and the lay flat carryall.
Having owned and used them for a year or so I would say the following.
The six tube holdall is a very very tight squeeze for six tubes. They do fit but I can only just get a landing net handle in and that is it. No further space. Three made up rods on the other side. They all fit but velcro straps tend to get in the way and the silk type partitions are thin, floppy and offer little protection. It does the job though. As for the lay flat carryall. It has nylon zips that I constantly find have popped open despite the zip being done up. I have to force the zip back to sort of reset it. The compartments are not full either. Also I have found that it tends to try to collapse once the two little clips that hold it at the top are undone. The sell inner cases to go in the carryall which would prevent this but at a cost and more weight. Other than that they are quite waterproof and tough. I would not buy again. IMHO the holdall is too small and the larger one is too big. The carryall has poor zips. [:(]

artist

30/03/06 - Mar 2019
In Memoriam
cheers about the dual bait-bag as was thinking of replacing my ageing pi monster and this sounds like a much improved practical design as i also stick my venue rig trays on top - so the clear bit would be ideal.

sloany

thanks for the write up nick, only seen this luggage tonight for first time and was going to start a post for advice. i have been looking at tackle/bait bag and accessory/pole roller bag.

thetraveller

I have one of the lay flat carryalls and the zips are poor quality. The stitching has also come away on the strap so only the handles can be used. A good idea but let down by the quality.

artist

30/03/06 - Mar 2019
In Memoriam
will the new MAP dual tackle carrier fit maver xl comp.rollers? They seem about as long as the MAP double roller and you get two compartments for an extra tenner instead of the one with the Maver platypus(given its apparent re-stock shipping time) pole roller bag.

Neil

Originally posted by artist

will the new MAP dual tackle carrier fit maver xl comp.rollers? They seem about as long as the MAP double roller and you get two compartments for an extra tenner instead of the one with the Maver platypus(given its apparent re-stock shipping time) pole roller bag.

I have the MAP double roller and tried to fit it into the MAP dual tackle carrier. Whilst technically it fitted the ends were bulging out and there was too much pressure on the seams for my liking so I declined to purchase it. You'd have thought MAP would have made it wide enough to fit their own roller in without having to stretch it. I'm not sure what the width of the Maver roller is compared to the MAP.

Best thing to do is try it out in a shop.