MAP Carptek Carryall

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrayner

My current carryall got ripped today so I popped off to the tackle shop to buy a replacement. I use a Middy Watertite stink bag to carry two keepnets and wanted a carryall that would take this in the net compartment without having to squeeze it in..

Well I tried out around seven different carryalls in the shop and was a bit shocked about how ill-thought out most of them are. In most the net bag won't fit, or the compartment is too shallow so that the net sticks out too much and makes the whole thing unbalanced. Others only have one compartment, other than the net one, so you have to stick your side tray in with everthing else.

The best by far in my view is the MAP Carptek Carryall, which is like a Tardis, compact on the outside but open it up and there is stacks of room for big nets and a neat velcro closure compartment for trays etc, in addition to the large main compartment. The main compartment comes with a hidden pouch in which sits a supplied coolbag that is big enough to take 3 x 2.2 pint baitboxes. At each end is a huge pocket going the full width of the bag.

The base is reinforced and the RRP is only 29.99, although the shop sold it to me for 21.99. An absolute bargain and very, very practical. The only I don't like about it is the name, as it has "Carp" in it[:)]

Last edited:

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Neil I sincerely wish you the best of luck mate.
I was bought a set of MAP luggage for a present. Within 6 weeks holes were appearing everywhere. Map didnt want to know.
Within 3 months I was losing reels and all sorts of stuff out of the carryall and the zip had come away all the way down the holdall and the whole caboodle was totally useless. Again MAP didnt want to know.
I wish you luck as I say mate but MAP luggage is the pits and so is the companies consideration of its customers and you can quote me.
By far the worst company I have ever dealt with in 55 years of fishing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessebobs

Steve!
I had a map CFS rod holdall which, although it was half the price of similar holdalls, started to fall to bits after about 4 sessions.
First time out, one of the metal zip tags broke off and not long after the holdall started to rip from the point where the handle was sewn on.
Unfortunately mate I suspect you may be looking for a new carryall in the not-too-distant future!
I hope for your sake they have changed manufacturers since.

nrayner

Originally posted by BARRYBLOKE

Neil I sincerely wish you the best of luck mate.
I was bought a set of MAP luggage for a present. Within 6 weeks holes were appearing everywhere. Map didnt want to know.
Within 3 months I was losing reels and all sorts of stuff out of the carryall and the zip had come away all the way down the holdall and the whole caboodle was totally useless. Again MAP didnt want to know.
I wish you luck as I say mate but MAP luggage is the pits and so is the companies consideration of its customers and you can quote me.
By far the worst company I have ever dealt with in 55 years of fishing.

I remember your posts about all the trouble you had with MAP stuff, Barry. I'm hopeful about this one though as it seems well put together. I've also got a lot of comfort from my great local tackle shop, Alan's of Worcester, as they have replaced carryalls for other customers after a year of use if they have fallen apart.

Cross fingers

nrayner

Barry's problem was with the "CFS" range also if I remember it correctly. That was a package of luggage and the Carptek stuff seems to be a different animal altogether. Time will tell but it didn't fall apart today!

toryboy

I have just mailed map about this very item. Its a christams present and now has a rip full length where the seams have split. Awaiting a reply from map......wont hold my breath after barrys comments.

matchstickman25

I have recently bought a map matchtek fishing suit (bibn brace and jacket). Should I worry? :(

On the topic of the carryall, my cousin had one, it didn't last a season....then again he carried it on a motorbike and the back tyre burnt a hole in it[:p] I think the stitching had started to come away regardless though?

Last edited:

toryboy

Just had a mail back from map and getting a replacement delivered. The stitching is suspect to say the least.

nrayner

At the end of the day if the keepnets don't fit it's useless anyway!
I'll see how it goes over the next couple of months. Any problem and it's straight back to Alan's Tacckle for a refund or exchange.

mike robinson

Originally posted by toryboy

I have just mailed map about this very item. Its a christams present and now has a rip full length where the seams have split. Awaiting a reply from map......wont hold my breath after barrys comments.

Our customer service dept past your email onto me yesterday. I can inform you that we have sent you out a new carryall. So you can now start breathing again[;)]

Tight Lines

Mike

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Ive got the ful set of Carptek luggage.
The carryall, 6 tube holdall, the keepnet bag, and the larger cool bag.
Had it since back end of last summer, and so far cannot fault it.

Before that I had a set of the Browning Black magic luggage.....that didnt last too well, but then again, I do tend to let my gear get sopping wet and leave it for a week.[:I]

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Pity their customer services didnt work when I had a brand new full set of their luggage go down. They couldnt have cared less.
Perhaps you need to embarrass them first.

nrayner

Well the carryall has done two trips now including a half mile drag along the banks of the Severn yesteday and a buffeting down the steep bank to the peg. It really is a compact shape yet swallows gear up, is well balanced and far more practical than the ripped Drennan Team England carryall that it has replaced.

I'll post now and then to say how I'm getting on with it, but no worries so far

Jessebobs

Steve!
I found a GTI rod holdall in a skip at work! It was well used but it's still transported my rods and poles most weekends for 2 years without any sign of giving up. Whoever chucked that out must want sectioning (or has bought a brand new GTI)

nrayner

Used it 5 times now. Still ok.

matchstickman25

daiwa tournament is good. comes with stink bag large enough for two nets and two spoons, a very spacies middle bag and a zippable side pouch big enough to take the helipad from piper alpha. ive used mine twice now, i think it will go the journey. it replaced an old black daiwa one which was very similar, but black. that lasted a good number of years of VERY harsh treatment (wandering mniles through overgrown river banks being used as a bin and carryall for everything). the tournament also comes with two groundbait bowls.
between transition (until i could afford a new tournament) i had the use of a map carryall from a freind. it had a big hole in it, but i had no choice. i found it too small for my side tray.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Well, I use mine at least twice a week, and had it since before Xmas, and none of the luggage has shown any sign of wear yet, and Ive been out in some really ****e weather, got it sopping wet, covered in mud, and been left wet for a week at times. Just emptied it, given it a wipe with a damp cloth, and its fine.

At some stage with any manufacturer, you are going to get the odd bad one.

nrayner

Nearly 3 months now and it has served me very well. The capacity is excellent and it has nice touches like the cooler bag and separate pocket inside the main compartment. Nice and deep, so it's well-balanced with a 50cm, 4m keepnet in the net pocket.

Can't fault the general functionality.

The only problem MAY be with the shoulder strap clips which don't look as as robust as those on more expensive carryalls. However, as those carryalls are not well designed it still remains an excellent choice for overall use.

Last edited:

socom23

Originally posted by nrayner

Nearly 3 months now and it has served me very well. The capacity is excellent and it has nice touches like the cooler bag and separate pocket inside the main compartment. Nice and deep, so it's well-balanced with a 50cm, 4m keepnet in the net pocket.

Can't fault the general functionality.

The only problem MAY be with the shoulder strap clips which don't look as as robust as those on more expensive carryalls. However, as those carryalls are not well designed it still remains an excellent choice for overall use.

Get back to use in 2 years with a report. 3 months isnt much of a test, and I would expect it to last a couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.