MAP barrow wheel bearing upgrade.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I found the wheels a bit wobbly on the MAP barrow, metal axle against plastic inserts doesn't seem a good idea to me. I had a look at a wheel and found the insrts were a push in affair, so knocked them out with a drift (a screwdriver and big spanner in my case), took measurements and ordered 2 of these, in case they didn't fit.
They turned up after 2 days, and with a little bit of tapping, they fitted like a glove, wheel no longer wobbles and turns smoother (in the hand, not used it on the trolley yet). So I am going to order some more and do the other wheels, will be £20 to do all four wheels.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just an update. Ordered the other 6 bearings and they arrived today. Done another wheel, no problems, third wheel the spindle won't go in the bearing, tried the spindle in all the other bearings and still won't fit. Looks like an extra coating on the spindle, so having to file the coating off. Bit of a faff, but I think it will be worth it.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
A bit of scraping the spindle with a Stanley knife and all the bearings are done.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I found the wheels a bit wobbly on the MAP barrow, metal axle against plastic inserts doesn't seem a good idea to me. I had a look at a wheel and found the insrts were a push in affair, so knocked them out with a drift (a screwdriver and big spanner in my case), took measurements and ordered 2 of these, in case they didn't fit.
They turned up after 2 days, and with a little bit of tapping, they fitted like a glove, wheel no longer wobbles and turns smoother (in the hand, not used it on the trolley yet). So I am going to order some more and do the other wheels, will be £20 to do all four wheels.
I do love a craftsmen and their use of proper tools to do the job🥰.