"Man Up"

corkycat

I've read this morning that the saying "Man Up" is now an offensive and derogatory term, as it can cause anxiety to those suffering from men's mental health problems. It was used over the weekend by the Bolton Wanderers manager in support of his goalkeeper, who after making several costly mistakes, is showing signs of waning confidence. He (the manager) is now the subject of vile abuse from the cowardly Twitter terrorists. Now I know what it is like to suffer from poor mental health and I applaud the recent new support, focus, and openness in treating this illness. However, when I cast my mind back to my army basic training in the early '70s, barked instructions such as "Man Up you f------ pansy" got me through my training and led to a brilliant career in the armed forces. But that was just me. What do others think?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Oh dear the continuously offended are offended again. Maybe they need to Man up.

On a more serious note... good managers know how to manage people, some times you need to challenge them, some times you need to (metaphorically) put an arm round them, some times you need to do something else. It's not the role of a third party who are unfamiliar with the case in point to dictate what is or is not appropriate.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Just snowflakes & keyboard warriors, mate. Never advised that in my own basic training if memory serves but I remember a lot more swearing!!! Just another step towards a nanny state.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't find it offensive and take heed when people say it, my Rugby Teacher used to say it all the time, but when a woman says it to me, I still take it on the chin, but it might leave me thinking "What have I done now?" ?

martin22

Site Supporter
Worlds gone mad these days,you can’t say nothing without someone being offended anymore,we really are becoming a snowflake nation,god help us if there’s ever another war unless people have a keyboard and safe room to launch a verbal attack from were doomed

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Hurry, hurry all aboard. The outrage bus is now boarding. Plenty of room on top.

Silure

Site Supporter
Une tête-de-nègre (ou tête au chocolat) est une pâtisserie constituée de deux meringues entre lesquelles repose de la crème au beurre, le tout est enrobé de chocolat. For the ignorant this is a cake that has been sold in France for many years. Translated as Head of the Negro. Is that offensive? Tete de negre.jpg