Man, 74, lost keepsake from dad he never met when yob kicked him in Mersey

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A 74-year-old man is "traumatised" say his family after he was kicked into the River Mersey by two youths.

The pensioner, who does not want to be named, was fishing on the river bank in Warrington on Sunday, when he was kicked with force from behind into the freezing cold water.

Disturbing footage, which the ECHO has chosen not to publish, shows a man dressed in a black gilet kicking the pensioner with force as he stands on the bank of the Mersey.

He was rescued by two teenagers - Ellie Hughes and Khloe Woods, 14 - who heard him screaming for help and formed a human chain to rescue him from the water.

The victim's daughter, Jacinta Bradbury, said her dad was in tears as he recalled what had happened to her family over Skype.

Jacinta told the ECHO: "He said 'I didn't know what was happening I thought I was having a heart attack or something.'

"He was crying as he was saying it.
"It was so quick from his point of view, he went into the water head first. He grabbed hold of a branch but he couldn't get out.

"He was in complete shock. He's still pretty traumatised about it."

Read more:

Chitterlings & Hodge

I am just lost for words, it just gets worse.

Even if the arse holes are caught they'll probably receive some counselling in way of rehabilitation.

What should be done is hand them over to the victim and his family and let them decide/distribute the punishment.

endpeg

I was told the old fella was walking not fishing, also a 14 yr old has been arrested as his mate had filmed it on his phone.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It would be me that was arrested. I’d kick the #### out of those two idiots. Being a doorman like Trogg in my younger days I know what to look out for. Most folk are a doddle as they are right handed. Trogg will know what I mean. Kin scumbags. 😡😡

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
There is a fair depth as well in the stretch he was pushed in. It's quite close to Bridge Foot bridge.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

I used to think that comments about lenient sentences were just what you read online in the comments sections of newspapers, but 10 weeks does seem pretty lenient here, given he has a criminal record and the chap was 74.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Will he be out in five weeks if he behaves himself or is there a minimum sentence before that applies ?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
By did he bother to say sorry, he clearly isn’t and only thought that he may get a lower sentence. I hope someone inside tears him a new one, and he cry’s like the little baby he is.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
A 74-year-old man is "traumatised" say his family after he was kicked into the River Mersey by two youths.

The pensioner, who does not want to be named, was fishing on the river bank in Warrington on Sunday, when he was kicked with force from behind into the freezing cold water.

Disturbing footage, which the ECHO has chosen not to publish, shows a man dressed in a black gilet kicking the pensioner with force as he stands on the bank of the Mersey.

He was rescued by two teenagers - Ellie Hughes and Khloe Woods, 14 - who heard him screaming for help and formed a human chain to rescue him from the water.

The victim's daughter, Jacinta Bradbury, said her dad was in tears as he recalled what had happened to her family over Skype.

Jacinta told the ECHO: "He said 'I didn't know what was happening I thought I was having a heart attack or something.'

"He was crying as he was saying it.
"It was so quick from his point of view, he went into the water head first. He grabbed hold of a branch but he couldn't get out.

"He was in complete shock. He's still pretty traumatised about it."

Read more:
Bar stewards