Malta Holidaying Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Hi guys

Because my girlfriend and I are off to seperate universities in September, we've both saved like mad to go on a holiday together before we move.

We were thinking of Malta as a nice place to go, so I'm wondering which resort you guys might recommend to us?

I am thinking about going either all inclusive or (more likely) going half-board to have a little bit of freedom and to not feel too tied to the resort, but with the security of having 2 meals a day should we run out of money!

Is there any must see sights or would you recommend somewhere else completely for a holiday?

We want to go somewhere with sun, beaches and good restaurants and that is not too expensive to live once you're there? We are going to be going in either July or August.

Many thanks,

Ed

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
You want to PM Godber.

I am sure he used to live there or his parents live there.I remember him flying the Maltese flag from his tent at Lindholme. [:p]

b-uster175

Have a good look around you will pick up all inclusive for around the same price as half board it just might be a lower star rating
use holiday-truth.com holidaywatchdog.com and tripadvisor for reviews do your home work and you should get a bargain.

Cheers Dave

glyn

Dont like the place myself only 2 sandy beach's. Went there once would not go back, but thats just my opinion. I would recommend Turkey for value for money. Went to Fethire last year and going back this year plenty of sun and food cheapish.

whorlicks

hi' went a few years back .
if you go id stick to the capital otherwise the rest of the island is a bit quiet.
august is going to be very hot .. its easy getting about just use theyre famous busses very easy to use and cheap.
not much in the way of beaches more rock bathing and if youre into it some superb diving snorkeling.
the locals are friendly and most actually like the english which is a big plus for me.
i hate being used or ignored by the locals

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
It sounds lovely to be fair! Neither of us are big club goers or big drinkers, and we aren't too fussed by getting to sunbathe on sand - we are both equally happy walking along a rocky outcrop and perching on a rock overlooking the sea [:D]

It sounds lovely, it's a toss up between that and going exploring in Scotland... :S

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by whorlicks
the locals are friendly and most actually like the english which is a big plus for me.
They nearly always give us douze points on Eurovision[:p][:D]

Have you thought about the Italian Lakes Ed - plenty of sandy beaches on Lake Garda or go to Lake Como for little secluded rocky bays - plus loads of places to see - Verona for a start.
Go see a night-time opera in the Roman ampitheatre - an experience you'll never forget even if (like me) you don't actually like opera very much.
Milan isn't a million miles away either - fabulous cathedral, lots of (expensive) shops and the San Siro.

Simon

Dannysdad

Guv
Called into Valletta on a cruise in 2006. We only stayed a few hours and went on a pony & trap tour, which cost 70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My abiding memory of Malta though will be the buses! The newest of which was built somewhere around 1952 and painted in yellow/gold/white.

Would I go back? Maybe, but not to Valletta

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Malta....you love or hate it. The north of the Island is the main touristy areas with places like Sliema, St Julians, Buggiba, Qawra. If you fancy clubbing Paceville is the place to go for all nighters. Visit Valletta to see the fortifications, churches, Barraca Gardens, museums and for views of the harbour. Further afield the silent city of Mdina is a must. Its situated on top of a hill and is more or less as it was during the days of La Vallette and the Knights of St John. There are a couple of resteraunts with views of the whole island and as the sun sets it is quite stunning
Malta2009241.jpg

Malta2009240.jpg

The Blue Groto down the outh of the Island is worth a visit aswell, a series of sea caves reachable by boat which are fairly cheap.

My Mums home town of Vittoriosa is a nice place, there are a couple of places to visit there, The Inquisitors Palace and the Maritime Museum. Its another ancient city and is lovely, heres a couple of pics
DSCF0987-1.jpg

DSCF0986.jpg

The sister Island of Gozo is a completely different kettle of fish with a much slower pace of life. The inland sea is nice to visit if yu get the chance. Basically there is a cave through the cliff that go's out to the sea
Malta2008255-1.jpg

Malta2008272-1.jpg

Dont expect much in the way of beaches but some of the swimming of the rocks is fantastic. Lovely clear blue sea's great for snorkeling. As i said you will either love it or hate it. The place is stuffed with history and the folk are very friendly. Tavel anywhere on the island by bus costs pennies.
I dont really see the touristy Malta so wont say what the resorts are like foodwise drinkwise and pricewise.
It will be hot so watch out for sunburn and for Christ sake dont sit on any cuckoo clocks.
TheaMaryFraser028-1.gif [:T]

mungo25

Godber, my mum and dad lived in Vittoriosa for quite a few years, both in the Navy - the old man was a Submariner.

Still go out and see their neighbours who still have a Winter home in Vittoriosa and a little place in Xghajra - love it.

As you say you either love it or hate it, me definately love.

People are fantastic, good food and weather and fabulous history.

Ed you'd be pushed to find anywher nicer - as said though not good for beaches.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Godber, why have you got a picture of NeilG with your Mum, or more worryingly a picture of him in your shower [:eek:]

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was born on the island, 1958

my old boy was a stoker on HMS forth, the submarine depot ship.

your do alright there Ed,

loadsa things to see, do and eat,

and they speak english, maybe not shroppie though

rawww

Grandads got a place in masascala and before that a place in valletta, been going there year after year since i was about 4 and i love the place. If you go and the time is right make sure to goto one of the towns/villages fiestas different towns hold them each time, firework health and safety is out the window being 5ft away from all the action but they are a hell of a laugh to be at :)

If you go into masascala drop by 'tiffanies' right up at the end of the town and get george to knock you up a full english.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave

Godber, why have you got a picture of NeilG with your Mum, or more worryingly a picture of him in your shower [:eek:]
[/quote

[:D] Mum said "He's a lovely man, strange accent though"[;)]

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Originally posted by mickthechippy

I was born on the island, 1958

my old boy was a stoker on HMS forth, the submarine depot ship.

your do alright there Ed,

loadsa things to see, do and eat,

and they speak english, maybe not shroppie though

I think i'm right Mick, the big building behind the mrs and kids is the old military hospital at Mtarfa where you were born.
Malta2009260.jpg

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
as you look at the photo mick

the bottom right hand corner of the building was the maternity unit

that old building is a place that frequently saw me rushed there,

broken arm, broken wrist, tonsilitus, glandular fever, cracked skull, many cuts bruises and sprains,[B)] used to run wild all around Pawla and bugibba, only time I had more than shorts and flip flops on was when I had to go to school

right little sod I was when younger[}:)]

loved Malta, came back to England with mum when dad got posted to Trincomalee, saw snow, Brrrr!!!!!!!!! kept asking, when we going back home, took a while to realise this cold damp island was home [:0]

dhl man

formally known as
Originally posted by mickthechippy

right little sod I was when younger[}:)]

loved Malta, came back to England with mum when dad got posted to Trincomalee, saw snow, Brrrr!!!!!!!!! kept asking, when we going back home, took a while to realise this cold damp island was home [:0]
only when you was younger bro ????
to be honest i loved the place when i went there a few years ago , done 2 yrs running and the mrs wants to go back again soon , history the buildings and the people are so freindly ,
maybe next year[:W][:W][:W]

Ste F

I'm off there next week for 2 weeks in Qawra, can't wait to get back there as I haven't been for a couple of years. Loads to see and do and the local brew (Cisk) is the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.