Mal in Portumna April 18-24th 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrC

Well guys , I have just completed another weeks fishing in Ireland on Lough Derg. We fished the Northern West Shores. The weather was good, we only had 1 day of rain which is good for Ireland, and we had one windy day but we found a sheltered spot to be able to fish.

My dad was over there for a few days before us, so we he was able to pre-bait a couple of swims for us to choose from.
Any the results
Day 1. 160lb of bream (feeder/waggler)
Day 2. couple of bream and dozen perch , 6 trout. (bad day.)
Day 3. 120lb of bream (feeder)
Day 4. Over 100 hybrids and roach on waggler (all over a pound!!) that was the best days waggler fishing I have ever had.
Day 5. 50lb of bream (the hybrids and roach had moved)
Day 6. 80lb of bream on the pole.

All in all it was a brillant week and fishing the waggler for them roach and hybrids was amazing.. the float never sat still.
Overall the weights where not as good as previous years, but my dads best so far was 70bream for 280lb which he caught the day before we arrived.
On the last day I sat down fishing the pole to hand. and i could hear the reeds next to me rustling and moving, I kept looking round but didnt see anything, so the curiosity got the better of me so I took a look at around 4pm and you not believe it , but it was a shoal of bream all averaging 5lb they where using the shallows to clean off.

On the down side of things we had my dads van broken into , they trashed it and stole the battery let the tyre down etc.. very supprised to say the least, we had parked the van down a track near a little river 1 mile from anywhere.!! The hole community was in shock and a little help from everyone , we finally caught the 2 guys who did it, they where caught 20 miles away in a different county.!!
The hosipitality was second to none. and role on next year!!!
I will post some pictures when i get them off my dad, he had the camera. Mal.

mrc11.jpg
mrc22.jpg
mrc3.jpg
mrc4.jpg
mrc5.jpg
mrc6.jpg

THERE IS LOTS MORE, BUT I WONT BRAG TOO MUCH.

-

Last edited:

Dervaig

Sounds like you had an excellent week there Mal.
Sorry about the van. Hope the ba*^!%ds who did it get whats coming to them.

Mike dukewave_e0.gif
Everybody believes in something - I believe I'll have another beer.

norm

exerlant mal

they were definatly ready for ya

hope it is asgood when i get back there

Datafile3.asp

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Mal,in Ireland coming ready or not![:D]

good fishing & good weather! more than ready...[8D][8D][8D]

back to the real world now,[:p][:)]

teepee.

G

Nice one Mal.

Bad news about your dads van mate, but at least they got the toerags.

Some good bags there, well done your dad.

My turn next, next week end [:p][:p][:p]

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorted Mal now where's my stick of rock [:D]

Dave
Datafile2.asp

norm

mal
i took my son and my dad last year to bally connell
(load of rubbish)

please send me details of were you were and any info for a trip this year as they both want to go again

cheers mate

norm

Datafile3.asp

Roppa

So unusual to hear of anything like that in Potumna Mal, no wonder everyone was shocked. What happened to the culprits.?? I'm so glad to hear that you did well, fishing wise, that is. Where were you? opposite the Cormorant colony?? the bay before it?? oposite side of the lough?? Thats a good catch list!!

norm

roppa i hope you are talking about the b*****ds and his car
is it worth taking my dad and my son?

Datafile3.asp

Roppa

Yeh! I was talking about the car when I say it was unusual for such a thing to happen norm. I've been going to Potumna for over ten years, long before the Roach and the English arrived in the area and I've never heard of any bother. If you, your Dad and Son are thinking of going, I can't think of a better venue, and believe me I've been to some. That said, we don't stay in Portumna these days, but just outside in Terryglass.

norm

cheers roppa
any more info?
we need a place in a town
with a pub for my dad and some were for food (chinese,fishshop ect)

Datafile3.asp

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hi MrC, Glad you had a good weeks fishing, very unusual with the van tho', you could expect summat like that in the North but not Portumna. I just knew the bream would have spawned with all that warm weather, you see lads the fish don't have calendars, to tell them they're not supposed to spawn till June/July. So by the time the rest of us get to Ireland the bream will be spread about a bit and on the move, probably to deeper, cooler water.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

MrC

Hi guys,

Sorry i havent got back to you . My baby daughter has been in hospital with a bad hip , but she's back at home now.

Anyway back to Portumna.

Roppa we found a lovely little sheltered bay on the north west, if you go past Church Island and onto the next large bay you come to a small harbour wall its very old and its in the water, we fished this spot to a small ireland on the waggler but you didnt have to cast far my dad had some cracking days after we left. Give it a go.. you will see the wall standing proud (its not that wall) but the wall about 30yards to its right in the water.(you cant see it unless your standing in the water) you should see where we where fishing by the disturbed moss on the rocks.(the very end of the wall is the best peg near the steel post sticking out by about 4 inch's)

Dont know what they did to the lads, but im sure this sort of thing shouldnt happen again. My dad got some of his stuff back , but not the battery. luckly we had a hire car even though it was a nissan micra we still managed to get 4 anglers fishing everyday,, god knows how, the poor car was trashed after the week!![:)]

Norm,
We stayed in a small village just out Portumna called drumscar, it was a farm , very nice indeed, but the bait fridge nearlly killed off 3 gallon of maggots on day one as it decided to freeze the poor buggers!!
Terryglass is very nice I have stayed there before and there is some self catering cottages , bit basic but do the job, you will need a bait fridge if you go there. but its handy because you have got a lovely bay just to the right of the harbour , which is good fishing.
Try Anglers world for more accom options..

There where some big names around fishing the portumna classic.. Bob Nudd bought my dad a pint , which is good going im told.!![;)]

Roppa,
another good place that we had a some good bream out of is near the first place i mentioned above, but you will see a orange prepait marker in the watter and possibly 3 other bottles next to it. try there if no-one is fishing them pegs..

Lid

Sounds really great there!!!!!!!! Well done on the fish and bad luck on the van.

Lid [:)]

MALC

OOPPSS missed this one before sorry Mal.[:0]

Well done on a good trip did the "B" work.[;)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

MrC

Hi Malc,
The "B" didnt go,, it was too risky taking it through custom's as we went by plane. I could just imagine explaining myself to some Irish customs fella why i was carrying white powder in clear plastic 50g bags.,,, !!!

but i plan to give it a try next week on fishomania hallcroft. will let you know..

Mal.

Tinca

Hi great report.. In the last pick. the one with the rod in the air what type of rod is that your using?

TINCA

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
[:D]hi fellas portumna has been promising to deliver the goods for sometime now been for the last four years upon til last year you should try the river as well fish the pole 8 metres to hand you will do 50lb without trying its good fun or try rinmar point thats the bay before the cormarant collony beware the muscle bed though you need to get some bait in first dont be scared you wont over do it trust me try thr river if the weather is to bad to go out on the derg as for the boozers try the clonwyn it never shuts though corn was the bait trying gowna this year july if you have any info it would be appreciated by six yorkie lads have a gooden]

Status
Not open for further replies.