Makins Fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby

Just booked a weekend away for six blokes end of may.One of the days,i have been offered a 6 peg pool at Makins called 'Little Reptile'. Can anyone shed any further light on whats in it and how we should approach it, bearing in mind it will be in may ?.

waxlion1

Bobby try this!

www.makinfisheries.co.uk/

Waxlion1

Steve

I've never been to Makins place myself but a number of people at work have been quite a few times. They have never said anything but great things about the place, so I'm off there later in the year.

Didn't Billy Makin sell it to Preston Inovations or something like? Not that it matters who owns it as long as it is a good standard.

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

MALC

Hi Bobby,

Must admit Makins or as it's now known British Waterways Makins is only 15 mins away from me but i tend not to fish it much as i dont like the pegging (a bit close) or the pressure it gets (hammered).

It is a good fishery though and as for Little Reptile it's pretty much the same as the other waters on Phase 2 with carp averageing 5lb but do go bigger and plenty of other species to go for.

All the normal baits work except pellets as they are banned.

Come May meat or paste should be the better baits and it's all pole work.

The info on the link Waxy put up is about 2 or 3 years old now.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Chopper

I fished the main lake on Phase 1 at Makins Saturday and Sunday, absolutely brilliant!!

We were balling 4 bags of groundbait in at 5m stuffed with a full pint of Joker (20's worth!!!!) and you just dropped in over the top of it with whatever bait you liked on a 2g rig with the olivette right down, big hook, strong line and bites were insatnt. It was a roach a drop all day. Proper bagging! The place is absolutely stuffed with silver fish.

Was just me and a few team mates on Saturday and a match on Sunday. The lowest weight was 3kg of roach and Alan Scotthorne won it with 7.5kg. Everybody had 200+ fish.

One of the best fishing experiences I have had, especially for the time of year.

I was horrified to learn that after the Sensas Final this weekend, they are taking out all the silver fish and keeping the lake as a carp pond for all the boilie brigade!!!!

I can't understand how such an excellent venue where you can get bites every drop in all day long will just be used for blokes that go down with 2 rods, alarms etc and sit there reading their papers and twiddling their thumbs waiting for 2 or 3 fish to hook themselves.

What is the world coming to???!!!!!

[:(!][:(!][:(!]

Suppose the little reptile will be similar, depends what you want to fish for.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Ian C

quote:Originally posted by LEE SAVILLE
<snip>
I was horrified to learn that after the Sensas Final this weekend, they are taking out all the silver fish and keeping the lake as a carp pond for all the boilie brigade!!!!

I can't understand how such an excellent venue where you can get bites every drop in all day long will just be used for blokes that go down with 2 rods, alarms etc and sit there reading their papers and twiddling their thumbs waiting for 2 or 3 fish to hook themselves.

What is the world coming to???!!!!!

[:(!][:(!][:(!]
<snip>

Hi Lee,

I hear what your saying and its a shame that any water which has some good sport is going to be changed. Surely the same could be said if the water was already a prolific carp fishery and it was to be changed to a silver fish venue from a carp anglers perspective couldn't it? [;)]

I for one, can accept that we all have different tastes when it comes to fishing. Some of us like to go maggot drowning, some enjoy fly action or specimen hunting etc.

You have made your choice and its obvious that your pretty good at the type of fishing you do. Fair play to you and much respect for your achievements. But is it fair to dis another persons idea of a good time?

Personally, I prefer to go after the larger fish, be they carp, pike or whatever, but from time to time I too enjoy the chance to go to a venue where a good days silver fishing can be had. As for reading the papers whilst fishing, why not? Though I would prefer to read my course materials as I'm trying to do a degree whilst working fulltime, so the best chance I get for some peaceful study is by the lakeside of a nice quite water whilst carp fishing or the like [:D]

I quite often go to waters in the hope of catching some carp with my boilies, where I have had guy's with poles fishing either side of me and I have to say if can be fun watching them have a good days fishing even if I go home at the end of the day fishless. But no way would I ever dis their sport, good luck to them I say [:D][:D][:D]

Ian C

Chopper

I'm not 'dissing' what they do, I've been there, done that, had 3 shimano powewrloops, bait runners, rod pods, gone night fishing etc etc.

I'm just really pished off coz there is no where within a 50 mile radius of me that offers such good winter silver fish sport. I have been going on canals in Yorkshire and 75%+ of the anglers have blanked and a good weight was 6oz!

I have listened to so many guys on here that report back about their weekend trips and blanked or had 1 or 2 fish. At makins you can break the ice and still empty it.

If that main lake on Phase 1 at Makins was any where in Yorkshire it would sell out every weekend for silver fish matches. Most of the guys I know would kill for a venue like that in their area.

Not just that, Makins is probably the biggest fishing complex in the country and has god knows how many lakes, why ruin probably the best silver fish lake on the complex and possibly the country when they have so much more waters to put the Bivvie boys on?

Like you say Ian, each to their own but I couldn't see anyone emptying a specimen carp pit and stuffing it full of roach/skimmers?

The Country has just gone carp mad and it pishes me off, they breed the carp at fish farms, feed em pellets, stock em into a fishery, let anglers on to knock hell out of them until they wise up and then put more 'stockies' in!!!!

I have stopped buying all the angling magazines as nearly every page is about carp fishing, flavoured this and that, cat meat, sinkers, floaters, 25m floating poles..............!!!!!!

The worlds going mad..............I think I am, need a cig......!!

www.colmic.com

Ian C

[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]
[:I]I appear to have misunderstood what you were saying there Lee.
[:I]So I've put all my toys back in my pram now.lol
[:I]Just wish I could "knock the hell" out of some carp too. [;)]
[:I]Sure they wise up, but thats part of the fun. [;)]
[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

Ian C

Cyprinid_boy

19 lakes Lee. And try not to listen to all those fishermans' tales eh? I predict little change after the Sensas final.

Mat

www.fisheriesmanagement.co.uk

Chopper

Went to Makins again yesterday (Wednesday).

Fished the shallow bank on Phase 1 next to the car park. It is supposed to be the worst bank and not where you want to draw in a match.

Again, it was absolutely solid with fish. There was 6 of us in a line, we all balled in 3kg of groundbait stuffed with casters and joker and got bites instantly and they kept coming all day. We all had in excess of 200 fish.

Will Raison and his mate Steve Gardner were also practising, can't wait while the weekend to give them a stuffing.......oh well, I can dream [:D]

It was Mark Downes that said it was getting netted and kept for the carp boys, will have to 'watch this space'

www.colmic.com

MrC

Lee,
what made you decide to feed all that Groundbait and joker at the start?? Please explain?
Cheers
Mal

Chopper

Have to be careful what information I disclose as there might be spies on this site[:D]

Oh what the hell, we put in a really sticky mix, a groundbait that has a lot of PV1 binder in it. We mixed it fairly wet so that it was like balls of concrete. We threw the lot in at the begining plus a couple of balls of double leam with joker over the top of it that breaks up and releases joker straight away.

The sticky balls take ages, hours in fact to break up fully so they are slowly releasing joker and casters throughout the duration of the match.

This way it keeps the shoal of fish in your swim all day, they can't just mop it up and p!ss off as it's only releasing bits of what they are interested in little by little and re-feeding is not neccasary so you can concentrate on bagging up [:)]

We found in practise that if you put a normal mix in you could catch for 1.5 possibly 2hrs and then the swim would start to dry up. All the joker had been mopped up and the fish had moved on. Re balling when the swim dried up worked but bites took a while to get back and in a 4 hr match you need to be in and out as fast as possible putting fish in your net all the time.

2 days to the big event, can't wait [:D][:D][:D]

www.colmic.com

MALC

All the best on Saturday LEE [:)][:)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

MrC

Good luck mate. and we expect a full report on this when you get back, with some pictures if possible.
Cheers . Mal.

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Lee
Do you want to borrow my Bite Alarms?[:p]
Good luck

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***[img]http://www.aaa-clipart.com/data/anim2/dogs/an14.gif

Chopper

quote:we expect a full report on this when you get back, with some pictures if possible.

Not got a digi camera [:(]

Hopefully there will be a lot of press at the event and the pics will be in the Anglers Mail and possibly the AT.

It's now 10:20pm and I've been tying pole rigs since 7:30, got a couple more to tie tomoz and new elastics to put in my pole and I'll be sorted [:)]

quote:Do you want to borrow my Bite Alarms?

Yeah, do they have a timer to go off and get me up at 4:50am on Saturday!!![:D]

www.colmic.com

carpbob3

tight lines Lee ....... Ps if you get a MD badge and get your piccy in the press you win a prize from MD ....... Dave will give you details im sure WONT YOU DAVE ......lmao

if your not fishing your not living

Chopper

Where do I get the MD badges????

The back of my Brilo box is looking a bit bare after taking off my previous sponsors stickers (Dick Clegg)

lol!

Has anyone got me these cheer leaders sorted yet?!![:D]

www.colmic.com

matt

Good luck for the weekend Lee
[:D]

HEY DUDE............

Status
Not open for further replies.