Making paste from shellife boilies (then adding groundbait)

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I've been making my own paste from Sticky Baits Krill boilies and it's fine, doesn't go off at all. Just add enough water to bring the ground up boilie powder together.

I'm considering adding some groundbait to mix it up a little, in this instance Dynamite frenzied hempseed match black. would the addition of groundbait mean mould would form? Or would there be enough preservatives from the ground up shelf life boilies?

If theres a possibility i might get some potassium sorbate preservative to add to the water.

I've only been dabbling because shop bought paste costs the earth :)

squimp

Site Supporter
I’d stick (!) with what you have tried already. What are you going to gain from Adding ground bait ? You are basically watering down what is (was) a very good bait.

If you really want to experiment, one thing you could try is using different liquids instead of/with the water. Hemp oil would be an obvious one. Other suggestions would be oyster sauce, salmon oil or a commercial glug. Make sure you keep a record of what is in each batch - in case you make a really successful one.

once you have made a batch you could freeze it in very small (1 session) batches - that way you could minimise any waste if it does go off more quickly.

But remember that any failed experiments are costing you money - so you could have shelled out for the actual Sticky baits paste at the start....

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I figured with the groundbait its much cheaper than pure boilies and just a way of introducing another flavour / smell.

The dynamite frenzied hemp really does smell good.

I didn't want to introduce too much oil incase it screws with the breakdown time (currently 20-30 mins) but adding groundbait may do that anyway.

Guess I'll have to have a play :)

Rick123

Site Supporter
I brought some good quality boilies for a campaign but good a bit ill before it started. So I crushed half a bag and added it to some basic groundbait, it was brilliant on the commercial for margin carp.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
All for experimenting and making own baits where can, but do have to be honest, it seems you have taken something in this case, that starts as a paste, crushed it up from its second and cooked state-a boilie, and turned it back into a paste? Of all the pastes for wrapping baits i would be happy to buy as a paste it would be the sticky baits krill, but yes i get the cost thing, but your time in doing so, plus buying the other things you mention to go in it, then.........

If the tinkering is for a paste bait-paste fishing, then fair enough, i would imagine losing some of the stickyness would be an advantage. I did try some time ago, after trying to find a particular and corresponding paste to some boiles i was using, but failing, crushing the boilies up to make a paste and i just couldn't get the boilie powder to bind. Having been cooked, i think, had made it impossible to return it to its original form.

In terms of the adding groundbait, should work, as long as you cut back on a corresponding amount of the boilie powder. Then freeze it into session packs- then avoids any going off concerns.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The new Sticky Baits Krill Active is a boilie surrounded by a paste coating which breaks down in the water giving off more attraction.
Several bait firms have tried this before with varying success but Sticky are convinced they have cracked it with this one