making groundbait

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugo123

I have bought a big sack of brown crumb and some crushed hemp and was just wondering how much crushed hemp I should add in a 1KG mix of groundbait(intending to make 1KG bags)?

also any other stuff you would add before bagging up? if it helps I am going to use it on a mixed fishery for carp, bream and tench [:)]

Tight lines!

armstrong1

choppy
i tend to use a sweeter base for bream and tench but like owt else every water is different,as i fish the same water every week i,ve had chance to experiment with diferent ground baits (spicy,meaty,fish based and found the sweeter one attracted more fish. i normally put half atin of frenzied hemp in to one bag of crumb.

bream fisherman

Basically the more crushed hemp you add the more active the mix will become.

so if you want the fish pinned to the bottom then dont add too much, especially for bream. bream respond better to a more inactive mix and generally don't respond too much to crushed hemp anyway. for the tench and carp though you could soak the crused hemp in boiling water first before adding to your crumb as tench and carp love hemp.

nrayner

I'm convert, on cost grounds, to 3 parts layers mash (which contains loads of small particles and is cheap, cheap, cheap at around 6 to 8 for a 20kg sack)to 1 part brown crumb, plus a large dose of diluted horse-feed molasses to sweeten it up (around 7 for 5 litres) and plenty of wheat for an additional particle boost(6 for a 25kg sack). For vermin carp (if you MUST fish for them) you could substitute 3mm pellets for the wheat (20 to 30 for a 25kg sack.

gillm

Most modern groundbaits are pellet based so for me, some sort of crushed pellet must go in. Also you can buy bags of pure fishmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.