Main line when pole fishing

Sjfitz

Ok , my friend who is a keen match angler was having a conversation with another decent match angler who asked him why he had so many rigs made up , he explained how some were for winter and some for summer with different main line … ie 3 llb /4llb depending where he was fishing and what he was expecting to catch . He then went on to say his summer rigs had heavier main line 5llb /6llb when he expected to hook into some bigger fish …all seems pretty correct however the other angler said no , you are wasting your time ,he fishes with say 6llb main line at all times and just adjusts his hook lengths …he asked me what I thought .
my thoughts were surely going from 6llb to 2 llb would effect presentation? And all the top anglers seem to have more balanced rigs ….thoughts ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Do what works for you.

A post soon after I joined this forum recommended a difference between main and hooklength of no more than 0.05mm. That seems to make sense to me and so I stick with it. But I have never actually tried putting a Winter 0.10 hooklength on a Summer 0.17 mainline (it is usually paired with a 0.13 main). I suspect it may make little difference to the catch rate. But would just feel wrong and thus could affect my confidence. And the C word is huge in fishing.

Lack confidence and you will never settle and give a rig/method/bait/swim/spot a chance. With it you may wait an hour or more for the fish to switch on knowing that when they do you will catch the faster starters up.

Its a bit like having one large shot or a string of smaller ones. Most would opt for the string. But then use an olivette in certain circumstances without a moment's thought.

Until you try something that feels wrong or goes against received wisdom and give it a good go you will never know. And it is the brave ones that try who develop new ideas.

davej1981

Im no expert, but i like to keep it simple. All my summer rigs are 0.18 mainline and i will use 0.18 down to 0.15 hooklengths. My winter rigs are 0.15 mainline and i will use 0.15 down to 0.10 hooklength. The lake i fish is pretty much only carp though.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I remember a discussion with a very good angler who picks up money most weeks about this a while back and he insisted it made little sense scaling down on commercial fisheries.
More recently he is fishing venues full of F1s and drops down as low as 0.10 and 20s hooks.
So I think it depends on your venues what you can get away with, he still picks up most weeks and cant be that concerned about lines as he only uses powerline.

Stokie

Balance your hooklength with your elastic - I believe that's the main thing. Mainline is nigh on irrelevant (as a certain scouse match angler says)