Main line for pole fishing (question)

azerty

Hello,

I started fishing a small month ago after taking a break for 5 years. Today I went fishing and I broke my mainline 2 times and lost 2 floats. The mainline I used was Sensas nylon super competition size 0.16 with a breaking strength of 2.850kg I also bought ready tied hook-lengths from Preston innovations size 0.13 reflo power with a breaking strength of 2.136kg. Is reflo power that much stronger? Should I switch my mainline also to reflo power a size 0.17? The pond I fish on is a mix of bream and carp till 5kg max.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Maybe the Sensas was a bad batch/old stock?
I like flourocarbon line but it is expensive

satinet

Seems a bit unusual to break the main line when the hook length was lower diameter.

Line will always break at a knot or damaged section so maybe line got trapped or something?

Sounds like the problem is the mainline not a super strong hook link.

solwood

Site Supporter
.15 reflo will be your friend

Reflo is often said to be thicker than stated

azerty

Thank you, I will check the mainline first thing tomorrow morning. I did not know that reflo is thicker than stated on the spool, so basically a 0.15 is equal to a 0.16? It broke like 15cm under my knot that is attached to the dacron connector.

George Jones

Site Supporter
For rigs, Silstar 0.18 or 0.20+ for lumps in summer. 0.14 in winter.
Hook lengths. Silstar for hairs. Guru N Guage for spades

azerty

I just checked my mainline, and it seems that every few meters there is an irregularity :(. That's a bummer, now I have to tie all my mainlines again. I might just go for the Preston reflo power since it's the same as the pre made hook-lengths I bought.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I just checked my mainline, and it seems that every few meters there is an irregularity :(. That's a bummer, now I have to tie all my mainlines again. I might just go for the Preston reflo power since it's the same as the pre made hook-lengths I bought.
Accu power is very good 👍, i use .18 in most if my rigs and .20 in the margin for most of my fishing , never let me down .

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Must be a dodgy batch. Nothing wrong with your ratios of mainline to hooklength. I use reflo for all my mainline pole rigs, hooklengths are a mixture of reflo, guru & matrix. Had a few hooks snap off from all of them but never had the mainline break.

solwood

Site Supporter
Thank you, I will check the mainline first thing tomorrow morning. I did not know that reflo is thicker than stated on the spool, so basically a 0.15 is equal to a 0.16? It broke like 15cm under my knot that is attached to the dacron connector.
Possibly oven more

Are you tying a simple loop or figure of 8

The figure of 8 is much stronger and Easton tie

azerty

Possibly oven more

Are you tying a simple loop or figure of 8

The figure of 8 is much stronger and Easton tie
Thank you, I use the figure of 8 knot on all my rigs.

I decided to go with Preston reflo power line, just because the pre-made hook lengths I buy are the same brand. I wonder if I should go for 0.15 mainline and fish it all the way down to 0.10. Or go for a 0.17 mainline and fish it all the way down to 0.10? It's a mixture of bream and carp, I don't know if the mainline matters that much?

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
guru n gauge or presto reflo/accu wont let you down.

personally i prefer the accu of the 2 prestons but my goto is N gauge

solwood

Site Supporter
Thank you, I use the figure of 8 knot on all my rigs.

I decided to go with Preston reflo power line, just because the pre-made hook lengths I buy are the same brand. I wonder if I should go for 0.15 mainline and fish it all the way down to 0.10. Or go for a 0.17 mainline and fish it all the way down to 0.10? It's a mixture of bream and carp, I don't know if the mainline matters that much?
I am happy with one size difference, two does give more reassurance but .17 is pretty robust. Try .15 and see.

azerty

Thank you all! I do have one more question. Fishing line like a power mono with a lot of stretch on the line, does this wear out if you catch a lot of fish on it compared to another fishing line with almost no stretch? When fishermen talk a bout stretch on a fishing line is this also referred to memory? Or does that mean something different?

Last edited:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I don't know how long it ,might take to wear a line out, but I suspect that the exposure to ultra-violet light, which happens all the time we are fishing, degrades it most quickly. You can feel when it starts to degrade - it feels less smooth and tends to slightly discolour.