Main line breaking

Peezartiste

I am experiencing 6lb line breaking above the hooklength while feeder fishing, using the Preston quick change systems. Obviously you then lose the hook and feeder.
This happened to me twice two weeks ago, on two different rods. One rod the line had been on for a few months so possibly understandable, but the other rod had the line changed the day before. When I fitted a new feeder and cast out again about 40yds to the clip, there didn't appear to be much difference to the distance, which I interpreted as the line breaking just above the hook length. The same thing happened this week.
Has any one else had a problem like this?
On checking my line at home today I found that on both rods the line about 2 to 3 inches above the hooklength was frayed quite badly for about 2 inches. This line up to where the line goes into the tail rubber. I note that the tail rubber on these appear to be a fairly hard plastic with not much give in it. This made me think it may be that and I have changed the tail rubber for a softer rubber one.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The first thing is that 6lb line is a bit light for method feeder casting 40 yards,I doubt the tail rubber would damage the line but the feeder might have a rough edge somewhere,what make of line is it?

Peezartiste

Daiwa Sensor. Used it for years and never had a problem.
The second rod was only casting about 15 yards, so not a lot of strain on that.
Regardless of the distance the worrying thing is why the line was fraying at that spot.

Dusty

I use 8lb for most of my method feeder fishing after encountering a similar problem.

Peezartiste

Forgot to mention, it's not breaking on the cast, it's when a fish is on. Tip goes round, lift and hold to judge the size and then PIING off it goes.
Can't be something sharp in the feeder unless all the feeders have it, and anyway the line goes through the stems. Still think the tail rubber has something to do with it. As I said I am changing them to soft rubber, and see what happens.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The first thing is that 6lb line is a bit light for method feeder casting 40 yards,I doubt the tail rubber would damage the line but the feeder might have a rough edge somewhere,what make of line is it?

I have to disagree. 6lb is perfectly adequate.

I agree though that the culprit has to be something to do with the feeder.

Perhaps slide a length of fine silicone tubing on the mainline so it protects the line in and a few inches above the tail rubber/plastic.

Peezartiste

I have to disagree. 6lb is perfectly adequate.

I agree though that the culprit has to be something to do with the feeder.

Perhaps slide a length of fine silicone tubing on the mainline so it protects the line in and a few inches above the tail rubber/plastic.
I'll give the silicone tube a try on one of the road and the soft rubber tail on the other.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It sounds like its wearing the line out when its bouncing the feeder about playing fish which you would notice unhooking fish but the tail rubber even being plastic on the ICS feeder system would not damage line as its still fairly soft, you would cause more damage with the edge of a landing net than the tail rubber ever would.
Step up to 8lb line which will have no noticeable change in the performance of your gear but will give a little more security and robustness to the rig or use a shockleader.
If you were in Ireland I would blame the Zebra Mussels but they are only starting to get established in some of the rivers over here and are rare in stillwaters.

endpeg

Double the line up by tying a big loop that the feeder runs on.
Hate Sensor worst line I've ever used try Tournament ST.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Double the line up by tying a big loop that the feeder runs on.
Hate Sensor worst line I've ever used try Tournament ST.
Thats what I'd suggest... all my method feeder fishing has the last 10-12" of line to the hooklink twizzled... conversely I've been using sensor for years without any probs... go figure

Peezartiste

Lots of ideas here for me to try, but the issue remains why is it breaking? Or why is it fraying that 2 - 3 inches from the hook length. I have been using the quick change ICS since it came out with no problems, til this month.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It could be the die-casting process at the factory has left rough edges on the feeder or the stem of the ICS and abrading the line... try a normal feeder without the ICS and see if anything changes

PAB

Site Supporter
I am experiencing 6lb line breaking above the hooklength while feeder fishing, using the Preston quick change systems. Obviously you then lose the hook and feeder.
This happened to me twice two weeks ago, on two different rods. One rod the line had been on for a few months so possibly understandable, but the other rod had the line changed the day before. When I fitted a new feeder and cast out again about 40yds to the clip, there didn't appear to be much difference to the distance, which I interpreted as the line breaking just above the hook length. The same thing happened this week.
Has any one else had a problem like this?
On checking my line at home today I found that on both rods the line about 2 to 3 inches above the hooklength was frayed quite badly for about 2 inches. This line up to where the line goes into the tail rubber. I note that the tail rubber on these appear to be a fairly hard plastic with not much give in it. This made me think it may be that and I have changed the tail rubber for a softer rubber one.
I would check that you have genuine Preston's mine are quite flexible and I have problems with the line cutting into them and splitting them.

grey

Site Supporter
You fishing somewhere that has a rocky bottom or a hard shelf by any chance?

I'd move to an abrasion resistant line such as Shimano Technium or another copolymer type line - Berkley Trilene XL is good in these cases and fairly cheap.

rufcuk

As above check the feeder for sharp bits - failing that if you have enough line - remove 20-30 turns to get to fresh line - lines do sometimes go brittle

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I think there are some fake ICS feeders on the market. I’ve seen some shipped from China which obviously won’t be genuine.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don’t often comment on method feeder posts, as I fish it very rarely, but as others have said, I’d be closely checking the feeders, I use 8lb Shimano Technium and if 8 have to use a free running feeder (prefer elasticated) then I twizzle at least 6” of the line, so the feeder is sat on that.

Peezartiste

Still not convinced it is the feeder. The only time the actual feeder comes into contact with the line is when you place the line in the slot prior to sliding the the stem through the feeder. After that there is no contact. The only contact the line has is in the stem and the tail rubber.
I am using the free running feeder which if you get a break in the main line the feeder will drop off thus preventing the fish swimming about with a feeder hanging from it. If you put a twizzled line or a large loop for the feeder to run on, then obviously there has to be a knot further up the line. Unless you cut a little bit of the narrow end of the tail rubber the knot would stop the feeder sliding up the line. So using this system if you got a break above this knot, the feeder would not slide off, defeating the object. Still going to try @Neil ofthe nene silicone tube recommendation.