mail order - Good idea or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenchman

Well bought a new JW system rod mail order through Hillages and an Okuma Epix ER30 through Swifty's. Both arrived today and both have got to be returned! The JW but section will not come off - and I mean IT WILL NOT COME OFF! The reel t-bar is missing from the spindle - try setting your drag without that little piece of metal!

First time mail ordering my tackle and to get 2 faulty pieces of equipment from 2 different companies begs the question - Is mail order always like this ? I mean to save 30 overall on the 2 items do you have to put up with all this!

I for one am going back to buying from the local tackle shops. You might not get exactly what you want at the price you want to pay but at least they work when you buy them!![:(!]

TINY

Tiny
We`re not all that bad,some of us actually check the kit before we send it out[:D]
I think that you will find that most of the large mail-order companies buy in such bulk that they just grab and send and sometimes they will send a dodgy item at no fault of there own(except for not checking goods first)[;)]

Andy.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Hi Tenchman

I've bought from 3 tackle companies on-line

Badger - stuff still hasn't arrived after 6 weeks as they are out of stock on their most excellent spiral bank sticks. They wouldn't ship the rest of the order without charging me extra postage.

WMAC - Bought about 300 of stuff from here in one go. Phoned up 3 or 4 days after I ordered to make sure I would get a delivery on time, and they appeared to have lost my order! They found it eventually, and I must say they were very helpful on the phone. My feeder rod was out of stock and turned up a fortnight later, but everything else came on time and well packed. I must have saved around 40 by using them on this occasion. I have heard a couple of bad stories about their service on other BBs though.

Fishing Warehouse (Swiftys) - Ordered half a dozen items. Over the course of the next few days was told my JRC sleeping bag was not in stock, would I accept an alternative (said yes), then my alarm wasn't due in for over a week, would I accept an alternative (nope), then something else wasn't available. In the end I said I would just wait for the original ordered items to turn up. The chap I spoke to did his best to chase up the delivery when it didn't happen on time, and said he would pop a few freebies into the order for the inconvenience (he didn't!). Turns out the delivery van caught fire and was impounded by the police for forensic testing.

The whole idea of ordering on-line was to avoid the hassle of touring tackle shops to find the right kit at a decent price. I saved money and will probably order over the web again, but it's no way to reduce hassle. Much better to go home with a shiny new purchase under your arm I think.

I found a great web price on my defender extreme bivvy and asked a local shop if they would match it - they asked for an extra fiver as I would have had to pay postage, no problem said I. We were both happy!

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
....or order from TINY

He would get so much stick on this site if he sent out anything without checking it first, that you should be pretty safe [:D]

Though come to think of it, he gets plenty of stick anyway!

Jason

tenchman

Yes, I wrote that in anger still sweating from trying to take that damn butt off! Spoke to both shops and Swiftys was very apologetic although I have to send it back Reg Post and wait till he receives it before he sends me another? Hillages tried to tell me to pull harder! After convincing them that id pulled hard enough they are sending someone round with a replacement butt section Friday morning.

Realy just a bit annoyed as I was going to test the 2 out on Saturday in order to get them set up for an upcoming fishing trip. I hate to take unused tackle on a trip as it cuts into the 'serious' fishing time getting the feel.

Beebs

I must admit that most of my tackle has been bought through mail order. And I have to say mostly with no fuss whatsoever. Some companies are better than others and some are complete sh**e. The upshot is, I think I would rather wait for a while until I need a few bits of kit and go down to Hansfords in Fareham (the owner knows a mate of mine) and get what I want and they charge Internet prices. I won't go into the 3 carp rods for the price of 2 they gave me!!!! Flipping heck, I should start charging for advertising space!!!!!!

TINY

Tiny
I don`t get that much stick....it`s usually the big branches and the trunk.lol[:D]

Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.