Magic Moments

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
oh and my first chopper ride, along and then over the victoria falls and along the canyon, had the front seat as well and you can hear the chopper blades thumping with teh tight turns, god it was amazing, that whole trip was amazing!

not sure if the video will work but skip to 2:30ish before we go over the falls!

JayBee

Site Supporter
1990/1991 ish, 4 of us Andy, Mark, John and myself fished an 80peg teams of 4 on the Bridgwater canal in Somerset.
The draw favoured us in the fact that Andy & Mark were in areas where tench were likely to show, they both favoured that approach and suuccesfully made it pay. John was in a prolific area for roach on the bread punch and won his section.

Me, the most "stick at it scratcher" in the team drew the hardest section and only came 4th out of 20,....the worst points in the team!
Back at the results it was "well, you did well from there" to each other, and a few of the fancied teams started looking at us with some suspicion.
As the nominated captain, I was allowed to look over the shoulders of the results team. Hmm, if what I saw plus a couple of nods suggested we had done well.
I reported a possible win to my teamates, who looked at me with some disbelief.

Pete Hodge (the renowned local match organiser) announced us as the match winners, and christened us "The Taunton All Stars".....All lwinnings were shared equally, and we decided to enter the Ilminster AA River Isle teams of 4 the following Sunday.

Lucky Lightning striking twice in 8 days doesn't happen does it?........Well it did!

Again I drew a really scratchy area up against some potentially much better pegs and again came 4th out of 20....that was, on it's own a pleasant surprise.
Better things were to come , my teamates had drawn some chub pegs and caught some.

Back at the results, more looks of suspicion and disbelief from other teams.

Yes!!, we won again, and to be fair the fancied teams ie. Avon Bait, and the local stars came and offered their congratulations.

If I could have bottled the feelings we all had, I would have kept some to drink and / or sniff on the really hard days.

solwood

Site Supporter
Last year planned a fishing break at Anglers Paradise worth a mate who had a bad year

His year went from bad to worse and c he thought he wouldn't be able to go due to finance, well villa wasn't going to ve any cheaper if I went alone so told him come anyway pay me later.

His face when he arrived was a picture, he us a big lad over 6ft and 17 stone but I saw the excited 7 year old all anglers are.

We caught and fished in ways he never normally did, caught his first barbel, and fish an array of colours.

Last day 40- 50 mph winds, we managed a fish each and called it quits!

He needed the holiday and it was nice to share with him.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In terms of sheer magic moments nothing will ever beat the first time I saw a tarpon on hook and line. My cousin had somehow managed to go a week into that years Florida trip without catching a shark so I rigged him up a big dead bait which is usually a fail safe. He then got a run which I assumed was a shark then this 100lb plus tarpon went air born and I just lost my sh*t with excitement! It was by far the most spectacular fishing sight I’ve ever seen. My grandad hooked one a couple years later on light tackle in 5ft of water that spooled him which was also pretty spectacular but nothing will beat that first sight until I catch one myself. Had another special one over there a couple years later with a fish I never even saw. Hooked it on 50lb class tackle in less than 20ft of water and never saw it over a 40 minute fight before it straightened a 6/0 hook. I’ve caught rays and sharks around 60lb and this thing felt at least 3 times as big was truly humbling.

On the coarse fishing front catching my first definite 3lb plus Perch last year was pretty special. I can’t imagine how many I must have caught around 2.75lb before I finally got that one after years of watching my grandad get a fair few 4 let alone 3 pounders. Finally getting a comfortably 5lb plus on chub on the stick was special as well. Big chub seem to avoid me for some reason so to get one on such a classic method was pretty cool. I got proper excited with my first grayling as well which looking back was a bit daft really as they are pretty easy to catch so I’ve had loads since lol

Then for British sea fishing my first proper bream session was a special day. Was anchored up amongst the melee of bullocks batch in bream season waiting for something to happen then all hell let loose and it was good sized bream galore. I remember falling asleep in the car on the way home as I was so warn out afterwards. First smoothound session was magic as well. Fished right in the shadow of the nab tower which is almost a spooky experience. Had a 6lb bass first drop which was pretty cool then I had my first 2 smoothound both over 10 pounds which were my first double figure fish at the time so I’d never felt such power. That started a proper obsession with the species probably only matched by my love for roach, perch and save. Hard for me to fish for anything else when I hit the south coast now!

There’s probably more that’ll come to me but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's been a good few over the years but one that springs to mind is quite relevant to this site.
One of the original posters on here was Trevor Manning aka ZipTrev, he had a way with words but unfortunately wasn't in the best of health although he refused to let it stop his fishing. Back in 2002 he just couldn't manage despite trying various venues to get himself a Tench so I invited he to visit me for a day on the Estate Lake at Old Bury Hill. Geoff got to hear about it and wangled an invite to join us. You can read the tale of our day HERE.
Sadly Trev passed away 3 months later, but his report of that day at Bury Hill still makes me smile.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Fishing with a team of crazies in the 80s and 90s, what little I remember is not suitable for a public forum. National practice week....... A combination of Magaluth and Beirut where ever we were.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
oh and my first chopper ride, along and then over the victoria falls and along the canyon, had the front seat as well and you can hear the chopper blades thumping with teh tight turns, god it was amazing, that whole trip was amazing!

not sure if the video will work but skip to 2:30ish before we go over the falls!

Bet that was scary on this mate.

1591164452078.png

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
pretty near any day that rosie and i spent on the bank when she was growing up

one day in particular on a Marsh AC match on Nicks Lake at hartleylands where she "Rosied" most of the participents springs to mind

I fished a Maggot drowners southern a few years ago and got Rosied out.
My grand-daughter is a Rosie, I wonder of I can get her fishing?