Magic Moments

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To me, that's what fishing is all about, not the last session or match, not the biggest fish or catch-weight, but those magic moments that you have at the time, put into the memory bank, and they just pop into your head at random times when you least expect them :)

I had one earlier, a sudden recall of the time I caught and landed my first 20lb Carp, back in the days when 20lb Carp were a target sought by many and accomplished by few.

It was way back in 2001, I believe, when Stu and I went to Stoney's Charity fundraiser at Yateley and we were just packing up and heading to the raffle draw, I'd left my last rod laying on the ground, the line still in the water where I'd cast it earlier, putting the rest of the tackle away when I noticed the rod tip twitch. It twitched again and I lifted the rod, trapped the line, and lifted into what was to be my first 20lb Carp.

It took a while to land not wanting to lose it and they held the raffle back whilst waiting for us - somewhere I've a photo of it and I'll try to dig it out from the archives

Have you got a Magic Moment to share?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
pretty near any day that rosie and i spent on the bank when she was growing up

one day in particular on a Marsh AC match on Nicks Lake at hartleylands where she "Rosied" most of the participents springs to mind

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have to say, my magic moment was shared with the wifey at Smeatons Lakes. 2 rods out each on the Carp lake and 3 Carp between us until dusk. Ready to call it quits I brought my gear in and then helped wifey pack away her stuff...and the right hand alarm screamed into a single toner. She struggled with it for a few minutes before handing me the rod. My immediate thought was it doesn't feel like a Carp with the fight. Duly landed, it turned out to be a very good Tench and on the scales?..9lb 4oz. The grin on wifey's face said it all for me.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
For me it was my first time ‘proper’ Barbel fishing on the Severn, by which I mean not a Junior Club match chucking out a maggot feeder and hoping for the best, even though I was using a standard and cheap Browning feeder rod with a 3oz tip. I was fishing with Sonubaits Barbel Hookbaits for the first time. After about 3 hours and no bites I thought I’d chuck out a maggot feeder and just see what happened. I had a Perch first chuck and then thought, nah, I’m here for the Barbel so switched back to the Barbel Hookbaits. I had no idea if they was going to work or not, or if I was fishing it right, when suddenly, after about 5 hours of fishing with only a big Roach and a Chub to my name, the rod hooped over with a 3 foot twitch, exaggerated by only using a light feeder rod. I lifted the rod up and line went streaming off the reel for about 10 seconds before it went slack and the hook pulled. Despite my expletives at what had happened, that was a magic moment. And over the course of the next few hours I caught 2 more Barbel which I was delighted with, not as much as going back the next day to a different peg on the same stretch and to my astonishment pulling out 9 Barbel. Only up to about 5lb but it was a magic day were the rod hooped over every half an hour without fail.

D

Deleted member 24128

I didn't fish for years for various reasons and neither did I see my father. A few years ago and after meeting with him again we found ourselves on the bank in pretty short order. That first day on the bank after all those years without fishing and with my father that I had not seen for a decade or more was a special memory for me.

I don't remember what I caught. It didn't matter.

Carp attack

Think it has to be when I'd took my lad out couple times and then when we got to the fishery this latest time he turns around and says " dad, just watch me today, I want try to do it myself " which I did, he then proceeded to set up ( my stuff ) and fish, catching fish on soft pellets ( afew mishaps along the line to be expected ), brilliant an a very proud moment! 😁👍

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Frosty December day at Wold Farm. I didn't have a bite all day. But I kept a robin fed, he would take pinkies from next to my boot. Towards the end of the match he/she came and sat in a tree around six foot from me and sang softly. I always thought that was a thank you.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can't wait to watch my dad catch a Barbel on the Severn. The only times I can think of that were similarly magic was my PB Tench from the most unexpected commercial, bagging up in Ireland with my Junior Club, or winning a few matches with said Club.

davepellet

many & varied for me, but I'll describe the capture of my long awaited pb tench...

I'd seen some info about a venue called Alderfen, near Wroot (on the opposite side of Doncaster) and decided I'd give it a go. Fishery consisted at the time of a speci carp lake, a speci non-carp lake & a match lake - I chose a swim on the specimen non-carp lake, with the tip of the 2nd island an easy chuck... at the time (16th June 2008 to be precise) it was a pretty barren fishery, as it hadn't been running long & the landscaping had not yet matured

I'd already decided my main approach would be a simple groundbait feeder with red maggot approach, and after arriving at 5am, sat biteless for 4 hours... initially I'd also set up the pole and plumbed a random zone at about 5m in case the feeder failed, and into this I initially cupped 6 balls of groundbait, casters & red maggots... I'd all but given up on that zone thinking as it was so featureless, no self-respecting tench would grace it with its presence, but I'd set up the Zircon top kit with black hydro & a 0.16 rig direct to a size 16 & a 4x10 Drennan Carp 1 float.

Anyway, time was marching on & I was sick of stripping streamer weed off the feeder after every chuck, and starting to resign myself to the prospect of blanking, when I gave the pole line a try, so baited with double red maggot & slowly lowered into my prebaited zone.
I lowered the float slowly but it just disappeared beneath the surface, overshotted I thought! So I gave a little lift to reset & the black hydro pulled out... I was attached to a fish, at last

the fish (I didn't yet know what it was) glided off into the central channel, while I feverishly attached pole sections to stay in touch & for possibly 10 minutes it churned up & down the deeper area of the swim

Eventually I started to make something on the fish (I didn't want to rush this, as I knew it wasn't a carp) and suddenly it broke surface and it was a big tench, I was stunned by the size of its head, I'd never seen anything as big (tench-wise)
[prior to that my pb was around 3lb, a fish which I considered very good at the time]
Anyway, I took it a little easier out of fear, but that gave the tench more encouragement to fight, so we shared another 5 minutes to & fro, before I managed to surface it over the rim of the net...
I'd got it, and what a fish... I brought both net & pole in and just sat there shaking...

meanwhile a fellow angler had come along to have a look (and thank god he did - my camera was knackered & the phone I had back then had a rubbish camera)

I unhooked it, put all my pole bits well out the way, and proceeded to weigh it...

the scales went round to an amazing number, but after subtracting the weight I knew the wet net to be, my O-Level maths produces a number of 7lb 12oz!

almost 5lb bigger than my previous best!

What a result...

I took what photo's I could, and my new pal took a couple, and I reluctantly slid the fish back into the water
After that I packed the pole away, and switched to the feeder... but instead of casting tight to the island, as I had been doing previously, I began to land it 10ft short, and immediately no more weeded rig... 3 or 4 casts later & the tip slammed round & I was into a 2nd fish. A little less dramatic this time, as by now I didn't care if I landed it or not, I'd already got what I came for... but after putting my Drennan Stillwater 11ft feeder rod to the test, netted a 2nd (lesser) tench of bang on 6lb... another whacker, but overshadowed by his pole caught sister...

Packed in a short time after than, as it was probably 11am, and the sun was high in the sky... hate fishing at that time in summer... and drove the 40-odd mile home trip in a state of disbelief!

a day I hope I'll never forget

and here's a couple of momento's... the first is a pic I took on my old phone camera...
Tench 2008-06-16 Alderfen 7lb 12oz (1).jpg

the 2nd is the one taken by my new friend, who very kindly posted it out to me several days after... Tench 2008-06-16 Alderfen 7lb 12oz (2).jpg

tonyh24

Site Supporter
Fishing the River Tees about 12 years ago their was 3 of us in consecutive pegs. We were all catching skimmers and bream around the 3 - 4lb mark when the lad on the end peg caught a 7lb 7oz bream which was a personal best. About 10 minutes later lad in middle peg caught one 8lb 3oz which was again a personal best. Finally about another 10 minutes or so I landed one 7lb 10oz which equaled my personal best. A shoal of bigger fish had swam through the area we were fishing but for all 3 of us to catch the 3 fish within 20 minutes or so was unbelievable. No more large bream came out we all went back to catching skimmers and 3lb+ bream.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
have a few!

my first 2lb roach when i caught 2 over the magic mark and 5 others at 1lb+ in the same day

losing the biggest perch ive ever seen, my PB is over 3.5lb but this was twice the size, was absolutely massive and it laid on the top of the water and glided to the net when it flicked its tail and the hook pulled, i was only around 16 at the time and no one believed me but jesus i wish i had landed it!

my first 50lb+ carp after 40 years of trying!

fishing the severn for barbel, a guy feeder fishing packed up and offered me his remaining 1/2 casters and some hemp (again i was around 16) so took them, set up a 1.5lb TC feeder rod as all i had with a cage feeder, sat in his swim and cast out with a 8lb hooklink and size 14 hook (smallest i had with me) and couple of little taps before a nice "thump" and a 2lb roach in the net, never knew the full weight as no scales with me back them but it was enormous and def over 2lb as caught them before.

many magic memories of walking along the river as the floods went back down and taking the fish that were trapped in the fields and putting them back in teh river, amazing how big fish can get into such low water!

fishing the margins for carp on a gin clear lake, full of weed and watching teh carp heading towards my bait in 12inches of water and waiting for the float to tip up and slide away

fishing from my brothers 16ft boat when my 20lb downtide rod hooped (and i mean hooped) over, lucky i had the butt under the bench or it would have gone overboard, there was a huge weight on the end, i played it and held on for dear life but i was young and hadnt set my clutch so after 5 mins of pumping the 30lb line snapped!

catching my first 2lb+ cod from the beach at Aldburgh on my dads old beachcaster rod was special as well

fishing in a huge electrical storm in france and just sitting there in the bivvy with the door open watching it all around me, was amazing!

watching 50lb+ fish spawn, the amount of water they move is amazing and sounds like someone throws a fridge into the lake when they jump out

god theres loads more, so much more than just fishing as well, seen some amazing sites and sounds!

davepellet

not trying to be greedy or owt, but I just wanted to share another, as it's not all about me...

took my oldest son to a local water when he was a nipper, and he managed to snag a 7lb common from the margins on little more than an elasticated top kit... me being me, I sent a photo off to Angling Times, who obligingly featured it, I still got a copy of the paper to this day, but here's a snap of his first moment of fame...

He's actually 24 years old today, so that shows how long I cling onto some of these magic moments...
IMGP3135.JPG

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
No pictures, but fishing a small, wooded, farmers pond one early morning I had a kingfisher land on my rod. He, or she, stayed there a full minute until breakfast came into view when there was a flash of neon blue and he/she was back on my rod with something minnow sized. He turned it headfirst, swallowed and was gone.

i consider myself truly privileged!

Maidstone1922

The first "big" fish I caught was a 4lb tench. I was fishing in the margin of my local lake on an Argos rod - was about 13 at the time, barely knew what I was doing. Catching loads of roach and perch to 8 oz on a hot summer day.

Sport really picked up in the evening, so I wanted to stay later than I should.

Float went under (single red maggot, size 18), lifted the rod into a solid lump. It was pretty snaggy, so assumed it was another shopping trolley. Then the shopping trolley started moving, swimming around in a circle.

It was a long fight, with my Argos rod bent double. Eventually got the tench (which I only just was able to identify from books I had read, particularly as it was more yellow than green) on to my unhooking mat. Looking back at the photo now, it seems very washed out, possibly old age. Big old head on it.

It was an amazing experience at the time, completely changed my fishing.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
few more as i have 5 mins!

so my dear encounter that i posted about before, god i loved that

same for the wild boar encounter in France when i was fishing

my favourite lake in France, he has a huge Portuguese mountain dog, im allergic to dogs and not a huge dog person but he was beutiful, he was 4ft tall just on his 4 legs, you would get there and sit having a beer and he would nudge you till you gave him a pat and a stroke, when i say nudge you would literately rock in your chair as he was massive! was always nicking bait and one morning i woke up with his snout next to my nose (i always remove the front of the bivvy) i screamed i think, fell out the back of my bedchair, he yelped and half jumped back taking my bivvy table with him, it was like 5am and he shouldnt have even been out in my defence lol, he would come round in the afternoons and just lay there next to you happily munching on the odd boilie, was such as shame when he died after 5yrs or so of me seeing him

remember my older brother holding me by tiptoe on walton pier one day after i had wound him up all day, i was right on the edge with the sea below me lol that was memorable!

remember fishing a 120 peg pairs match with my nephew, i was around 20 and he was 15 or so, he had never fished the venue, it was his first match as well! 5hrs later we won the match, both of us winning our sections, first time i won over £500 in a match, was amazing!

local fishing club summer league on our local river, after 6 rounds i was first, twin bro was second and older brother was 3rd, that was pretty special

fishing for a week in france in march, turned up the first day then overnight it snowed, fished with 4 inches of snow all week, never had a bite and never been so frigging cold for a week either but loved it! most of the lake froze, my swim had two aerators going so didnt freeze over

some of my macro pictures i have from fishing, amazing how even moss turns into a mini forest when close up, love spiders webs in misty mornings and love early morning pictures, have taken loads over the years

watching kingfishers fishing all week and flashes of colours as they zoom past, as well as the herons sitting there and waiting for something nice to swim by.

time to get back to work!

rudd

Site Supporter
My first ever session at The Rudd pond.
Hooked for life - had sea fished for two years before but watching that float shoot across surface then disappear 😍😍😍

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I remember after my first week of fishing, catching just small roach, rudd, and perch, the float buried and I hooked into something that put a real bend into my rod, and after a bit of a tussle I landed my first tench. That morning always lives in my memory.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
one of mine is catching 21lb pike on livebait over 25 years ago still my biggest pike
7lb carp on pole sheffield canal first ever fish on pole playing it threw ice up and down canal
33lb tope when boat fishing first one
getting boat surrounded by rissos dolphins all day while boat fishing never seen that in ten years boat fishing
feeding a squirrel cheese by my feet