Maggots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

New to angling so bear with this probably simple question:

Bought a pint of maggots on friday, but the weather was too bad this weekend to get out - how long can I keep these maggots?

Thanks

jonesr

You need to chill them down,a fridge is ideal.Dont leave them sealed up, they need air.If you can do this they will last a week.They will look dead but when they warm again they will start wriggling again.BUT they need to be fresh when you start.

Any problems and they freeze and die,you can always use them as feed because they cant burrow away.you can always hook dead maggots.
But remember they are not that expensive!

Ron J

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi BlythMags and welcome on board [:)]

At this time of year you can keep your maggots fresh for a week or more by leaving them in an open container such as a bucket and place the container on a concrete floor in a garage or similar.

The only thing to watch out for is damp and don't leave the maggots covered with an air tight lid as they'll sweat. Easiest way to make sure they can get as much air as possible if you're worried about leaving a lid off is to pull an old pair of tights over the bucket.

Tight lines,

Dave

norm

blyhmags
dave uses his own tights
and i would listen to him, as he is as tight as a ducks assss (LOL)

G

EEEEEEEEEE Norm now your for it my lad,,,,

catch me if u can
Andy,

Chopper

If your gonna keep em in the fridge make sure you hide them behind a luttuce or a couple of Yoghurts or the missus will kill you!!

I had to buy a seperate fridge after a little incident 3 yrs ago when 1/2 pint of squatts escaped and the Xmas dinner was ruined!!

But yeah, garage floor in a proper bait tub should be fine for a week this time of year, suppose it depends on how fresh they were when you bought them.

It's not very often I buy much more than 1/2 pint maggots, specially this time of year so I usually throw them after a match and splash out another 80p the following week.

RE Dead maggots: the only time I would use dead maggots is if I was fishing for eels in summer 99% of the time fresh = best.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Last edited:

crusty

it all depends on how fresh your maggots are when you store them.
how long they last depends on how many times you take them out.
I store mine, usually a pint or two in the bottom of the fridge, ours has drawers at the bottom, ideal for calming the other half, and if i put them in when i get home from the shop, take them out to go fishing, and then put back whats left, i swear they'll last for weeks and weeks.

the more you take them out of the fridge the shorter they last.

And ignore dead maggots at your loss!
freeze what you don't use and add to groundbait, or particle mixes, and fish 8 or 10 dead or alive on a hair.

crusty

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:and i would listen to him, as he is as tight as a ducks assss (LOL)

I'm not tight - just frugal [8D]

Can't remember the last time I bought a half pint of maggots tho' saying that it's an idea [:D]

How many maggots do you get in a pint?

If I knew that I could work out exactly how many I'd need per session and buy just that amount:

Baitcounter - brings on a whole new meaning [:p]

Dave

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Lee, for some strange reason I've found that dead maggots can out fish live at times. It maybe they lie on the bottom exposed instead of crawling away. I always freeze any maggots left after a trip, if for nothing else but to add to ground bait or mixed in with hemp for barbel.

chill out go fishing

TINY

Tiny
Try to remember that if you are going to fridge the maggots that you will need to put a tiny bit of water with them as a fridge will de-hydrate them.You will find that they last a lot longer than normal.And i do mean a tiny bit of water or your next stop wont be the tackle shop. It will be the solicitors....Andy(Staffs Angling)

Chopper

Damp saw dust is probably the best option, that eliminates the problem of a great escape!

It can be easily riddled off when you need to use them and perhaps a bit of Maize adding.

Personally I just leave them 'how they come' but as I said, I don't usually keep them for as long as a week anyway, I like em big, fresh, and with a big feed spot.

esox, not done 'proper' barbel fishing, only ever caught them by accident in commercial lakes so your probably right.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Status
Not open for further replies.