maggots

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty198111

just wandered if any of you guys ever breed your own maggots, if so how did you do it

and how long did it take from putting the food out to getting maggots

cheers

mat

pole addict

After reading how it's done I never have and never will.

A smelly dirty business.

2.50 a pint isn't bad value when i think about it in those terms.

matty198111

well ive read up some info on the net about it, and it would apppear that it can be done with fruit.

so what im gonna do is try it with fruit but im gonna put the "farm" in my local woods, im not gonna do masses of them just enough for a day or 2 at a time.

the reason i want to is because if i was to go fishing afetr work ect the bait shop would be shut by the time i get in.

also at the moment im using all my own baits

since i started fishing a couple of months ago ive not bought any bait but i have caught some real nice fish on my own stuff, so this would just be an extra bait.

obviously if my baits start to fail i will buy some from the shop but at the moment i rather like fishing for free lol

mat

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
I used to breed my own hookbait maggots over 30 years ago, but the price and quality of shop bought maggots would not make it worth the hassle these days. The best medium for breeding your own maggots is chicken. Unless you have access to very cheap chicken portions it could cost more than getting your bait from a shop.
Another reason for getting your bait from a shop is to pick up the latest information while you are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.