Maggots . . . why does colour matter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

I've only been fishing for a matter of months and mostly for Carp, although I have occasionly bought maggots ... I've felt a bit of a fool when asked what type I want i.e colour ... with maize etc [:I]

I've noticed suggestions like use reds for this and casters for that.. on the forums but unless I ask I'm not going to be any the wiser [:)], so I'd really appreciate it if you guys can pass on a bit of knowledge [:D]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andy,

I once heard Keith Arthur say that in murky waters a dark maggot will stand out more than a white one. I will admit I have more success with casters and red maggot.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

matt

Hi Andy, on some waters a red maggot works better, on some a bronze, on some lakes you will catch better on double white maggot whereas on another pinkie works better. there are no hard and fast rules as to what colour/ combination of maggot works best. each water and its fish population seems to be individual. the best thing to do is go fishing with a pint of mixed maggots (i prefer them in maize) and keep trying different combinations until you find what the fish want.
Just out of interest, has anyone caught on those green/ blue maggots that always seem to appear, i've tried them a few times over the years, but never been able to get a bite on them?[:p][:D]

HEY DUDE............

mike s

Had a Perch on the blue ones once! Eurobait swear blind to me that they're green[:eek:)] If they were a REAL [^] colour then I'm positive that they would work well in July/Aug when the willows are full of caterpillars.

Cumbria Angling Centre

everyready

i have just started stick floating fishing and found colour dose seem to make a different the fish seem to like one colour ie red if you run through on bottom .then they move higher in the water take some thing else white or caster . as for maze i have hay fever and this plays it up so go for bran. as for green/blue maggots no fish
on them either.

TINY

Tiny
There are no hard and fast rules over maggot colour,if you want to increase your catchrate on any maggot water just ask the lads who are catching on a regular basis what colour,maggot or pinkie,squatt,caster etc etc.Fortunately we are a breed that dont mind helping each other unlike a lot of other sports that could be mentioned.
Andy

angler-mark

I fish the Trent a lot and use mainly white and red with flavours on and seem to do well, but on lakes that are match fished a lot I use the fluro coulors and they seem to work for some reason, maybe it's that they are not seen by the fish so often and that's why they are not suspicious of them.

Tight Lines

Mark

TINY

Tiny
Try and educate the fish to whatever colour you are using and give them time.Iam pretty sure,at sometime they will switch on.A lot of it is trial and error.
Andy

Beebs

I had quite a bit of success last summer feeding one colour of maggots and fishing a different colour on the hook. It also got me a couple of fish on the weekend when it looked like I was going to blank.

I tried feeding whites and fishing reds and vice versa, although I can't say for cerain whether the different colours made an impact or whether the fish were just feeding heavily, but they did seem to fall for it, though.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Hey i feed white with the occasional few reds hemp and caster then fish either red maggot on the hook and caster and this always works a treat on the rivers [;)]

Tight lines [:D]

BlythMags

So what about flavourings to add to maggot?

Is it true that fish prefer spicy flavourings in the colder months and fruity / sweet flavours in the spring / summer, or is this (again) down to the individual species and venue you are fishing?

What flavourings should I try - the 'proper' stuff sold in tackle shops (Van Den Deyne - strawberry / aniseed) or a 'concoction' out of the kitchen cupboard (curry powder / vanilla essence)?

Cheers

Alan

TINY

Tiny
BlythMags
You should try whatever you feel is right at the time.Fishing me old mate is trial and error.Ask those already fishing the water and take it from there.The "proper"stuff as you call it,isnt that different from what you will find in your own kitchen,it just costs more because it has a name to it.
Generally though,you have hit the proverbial nail on the head with your flavours for the seasons.
Andy

mike s

Braddocks "Floral Surprise" for roach,dace & chub; "Red Surprise" for perch & roach. http://www.braddocksbaits.co.uk

Cumbria Angling Centre

TINY

Tiny
Theres also mega turmeric or sugar and spice by Braddocks which are also good.

Andy.....Staffs Angling Supplies

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I always thought fish were colour blind and just saw in black, white and shades of grey

Dave

everyready

i dont know if they can see colors. tackle shops ownwers can spot magpies who sit on boxes of shiny lures bit and bobs and catch (US)all
every time we walk through there door [:D][:D][:D]

darryl

i fined bronze with turmeric and red with floral surprise work`s best on the derwent and trent

you can not catch one sitting at home

Simon R

Site Supporter
I remember reading a book years ago called "Through the Fishes-Eye". In the book they did some experiments - I can't remember the exact details (its something to do with the way light is absorbed by water) but what it boiled down to is that the most visible colour underwater is red.

The book was talking about trout & salmon (and I think it was discussing the colour of lures rather than maggots) but presumably coarse fish see in the same way.

Tight Lines

Simon

Matchlad

we like diffent food we have a curry one night and fish and chips the next fish are the same rob

Status
Not open for further replies.