Maggots smelling of ammonia.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
We used to flavour maggots with an old Archie Braddock flavour and its code name was ‘our ‘enry’ because it smelt very like a well known after shave. It was brilliant for chub.

I honestly can’t remember the last time I used unflavoured maggots.
Nor me, even in the summer, when I’m lashing them in shallow for F1,s, I still feel 100% more confident with flavoured maggots 👍👍

G20

Site Supporter
The main point is that gives you confidence and as a result you fish better (y)
Positive mental attitude as Clive Branson often promoted.
Where is Clive? He hasn't been on YT for a few months now. I liked some of his videos (apart from the ones he edited and were left to right)
Hope he's ok.

Midwater Brand Manager

Maggots secrete ammonia almost constantly. They eat meat (and have hooked mouthparts which if you drag the front end slowly across your fingerprint you can actually feel scratching). There is a scientific correlation between the production of ammonia (alkaline) and the acidic breaking down of the meat which benefits the maggot by preventing a build-up of acid. You can mask the ammonia but you will not prevent it.

Silver fan 82

Maggots secrete ammonia almost constantly. They eat meat (and have hooked mouthparts which if you drag the front end slowly across your fingerprint you can actually feel scratching). There is a scientific correlation between the production of ammonia (alkaline) and the acidic breaking down of the meat which benefits the maggot by preventing a build-up of acid. You can mask the ammonia but you will not prevent it.
Interesting points there, thanks 👍