Maggots smelling of ammonia.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Trust a chef ,i would want to eat them myself lol ,sounds very tasty ,all of them flavours 😆
As Chef and others said riddle and flavour them .. . ... also try holding a few back ,by mistake i had some smelly maggots in a tub ,i tried them in a match and won 🏆 smelly casters and maggots ,i did have a shower ,honestly. Must have got lucky on the day ,as a rule no one uses stinky maggots ,or do they.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Fresh maggots sweat ammonia when they get warm so that is normal, you need to allow them to breath.
For longer term storage slightly damp white sawdust is best you can keep them for up to a month in that in a fridge set about 4 degrees C
Maize is fine for shorter term storage like a week but it tends to shrink the maggots more than the above.
Some also use bran I never liked it because it acts like insulation then sours quickly but short term its OK.
Very fine powders like custard powder clog the air passages at the rear of the maggot and again will shrink them.
If you are stuck with "moist" maggots ordinary brown or white breadcrumb is a good temporary measure but it will sour over a few days.
Adding liquid of any form can make maggots float as they take in air along with the liquid but dampness replicates their natural progress in soil once they have finished feeding.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As Chef and others said riddle and flavour them .. . ... also try holding a few back ,by mistake i had some smelly maggots in a tub ,i tried them in a match and won 🏆 smelly casters and maggots ,i did have a shower ,honestly. Must have got lucky on the day ,as a rule no one uses stinky maggots ,or do they.
I like my maggots to have nice aromas 😂that’s why I always use the enhancers👍I try to make my bait different , I like to mix them up as well to see how they work 🤷‍♂️

Silver fan 82

Gram flour is just ground chickpeas so in itself is not spicy, it is used in Indian cooking as a dough.
Garam massala is what you might be thinking of which is a mix of various spices.
Yeah that's where I'm getting mixed up
Fresh maggots sweat ammonia when they get warm so that is normal, you need to allow them to breath.
For longer term storage slightly damp white sawdust is best you can keep them for up to a month in that in a fridge set about 4 degrees C
Maize is fine for shorter term storage like a week but it tends to shrink the maggots more than the above.
Some also use bran I never liked it because it acts like insulation then sours quickly but short term its OK.
Very fine powders like custard powder clog the air passages at the rear of the maggot and again will shrink them.
If you are stuck with "moist" maggots ordinary brown or white breadcrumb is a good temporary measure but it will sour over a few days.
Adding liquid of any form can make maggots float as they take in air along with the liquid but dampness replicates their natural progress in soil once they have finished feeding.
Very useful thanks Ken 👍

robert d

Site Supporter
The way I’ve been taught is that flavours can make a real difference with F1,s, we used to spray flavours on them all week with an atomiser, before the powdered enhancers were available
Ive tried something ,strawberry 🍓 😋 i think it was from one of the stores ,roach seemed to love it though i was targeting carp and skimmers . Another one which worked quite well was a crushed garlic clove left in a tub with maggots ,also chilli powder for margin carp. Not done it for ages ,must get trialing again ,cheers Gazza

robert d

Site Supporter
Ive tried something ,strawberry 🍓 😋 i think it was from one of the stores ,roach seemed to love it though i was targeting carp and skimmers . Another one which worked quite well was a crushed garlic clove left in a tub with maggots ,also chilli powder for margin carp. Not done it for ages ,must get trialing again ,cheers Gazza
Another one but not maggots ,should post on cow lick ,luncheon meat in garlic mayo ,i won convincingly on the day .

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I love tinkering with baits and additives mate, it gives me confidence, a bit like grey top kits really 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Some say they do work and some say they don’t

robert d

Site Supporter
Another one but not maggots ,should post on cow lick ,luncheon meat in garlic mayo ,i won convincingly on the day .
It is messy and was late summer ,trouble was i had 50 wasps who liked it just as much lol

robert d

Site Supporter
I love tinkering with baits and additives mate, it gives me confidence, a bit like grey top kits really 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Browning stole my idea , i did some camo tops in grey ,blue with little tufts of white ,all in matt ,to emulate our sky in summer

robert d

Site Supporter
That’s what we used to spray on them, then everyone was using it, so we started to experiment with other things- peppermint, pineapple, nutmeg etc
We could also go back to keeping them in our mouths 👄 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑 that would clean them 🤑🤑🤑🤑

squimp

Site Supporter
Can just imagine you giving them a squirt of
Chanel no5 or Hugo Boss when you hook them lol
We used to flavour maggots with an old Archie Braddock flavour and its code name was ‘our ‘enry’ because it smelt very like a well known after shave. It was brilliant for chub.

I honestly can’t remember the last time I used unflavoured maggots.