Maggots smelling of ammonia.

Silver fan 82

Hi guys.
I bought a pint of maggots yesterday for use tomorrow. I got them home and put the bait box in the fridge. Now I put the box in a plastic bag cos the wife isn't too keen on me keeping maggots in the fridge.
Checked them this morning and they have that slight smell of ammonia about them.
Is this because I put the bait box in a plastic bag? Lack of air?
Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell from the maggots? Will it affect how they fish?
I have an outside cupboard with a concrete floor which is cool where I cous keep them with the lid off?
I was also thinking maybe riddle them off and sprinkle with krill powder or something similar.
Any suggestions would be great guys.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hi guys.
I bought a pint of maggots yesterday for use tomorrow. I got them home and put the bait box in the fridge. Now I put the box in a plastic bag cos the wife isn't too keen on me keeping maggots in the fridge.
Checked them this morning and they have that slight smell of ammonia about them.
Is this because I put the bait box in a plastic bag? Lack of air?
Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell from the maggots? Will it affect how they fish?
I have an outside cupboard with a concrete floor which is cool where I cous keep them with the lid off?
I was also thinking maybe riddle them off and sprinkle with krill powder or something similar.
Any suggestions would be great guys.
Riddle them and put fresh maize on 🤷‍♂️I always use maggot enhancers , a couple of shakes, riddle and put fresh on every few days 👍comes in 8 flavours, and really gives the maggots an edge as well as keeping them clean and fresh. 0B697213-463D-49AC-880A-179B58580EDB.jpeg

Silver fan 82

Riddle them and put fresh maize on 🤷‍♂️I always use maggot enhancers , a couple of shakes, riddle and put fresh on every few days 👍comes in 8 flavours, and really gives the maggots an edge as well as keeping them clean and fresh. 0B697213-463D-49AC-880A-179B58580EDB.jpeg
Cheers Chef, I'll have to get myself some of that. I don't have any maize, is there anything else that I can use?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Cheers Chef, I'll have to get myself some of that. I don't have any maize, is there anything else that I can use?
Some plain flour or custard powder, powdered nesquick 👍the maggot enhancers come in banana, vanilla, F1,choc orange, tutti fruiti, wild Berry,salted nut, krill, fishmeal , etc I always keep half a dozen bags in my stock , they last a long time 👍

Silver fan 82

Some plain flour or custard powder 👍the maggot enhancers come in banana, vanilla, F1,choc orange, tutti fruiti, wild Berry,salted nut, krill, fishmeal , etc I always keep half a dozen bags in my stock , they last a long time 👍
Thanks for the quick replies mate, I'll get on that now. Like the sound of the enhancers. Do you think they give you an edge?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks for the quick replies mate, I'll get on that now. Like the sound of the enhancers. Do you think they give you an edge?
Definitely mate, I usually, riddle it off every couple of days and put fresh on , gets right into the maggots skins, smells beautiful, the banana and vanilla mixed, makes them smell like milk shake 😂

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Get yourself a bag of maize flour from the supermarket, put the maggots in an old washing up bowl or similar so they've got loads of room, I keep mine in the shed like this and they're fine.

G20

Site Supporter
Don't recommend flour or custard powder unless you want a sticky mess.....that's why it's best to use maize flour...or sawdust.

Silver fan 82

Thanks for the advice guys. Have riddled them off, added some flour and they are on the shed floor with the bait tub lid off. I think some maize flour and some of the enhancer flavouring are on the shopping list.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I've been using Garam flour from tesco for the last few years, not had any problems. Don't know what the difference though 🤷‍♂️

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Some plain flour or custard powder, powdered nesquick 👍the maggot enhancers come in banana, vanilla, F1,choc orange, tutti fruiti, wild Berry,salted nut, krill, fishmeal , etc I always keep half a dozen bags in my stock , they last a long time 👍
Trust a chef ,i would want to eat them myself lol ,sounds very tasty ,all of them flavours 😆

dave brittain 1

Maize or bran. Add a level teaspoon of garam masala and riddle them every 2-3 days. Note you are much better keeping them in a big bucket with the lid off so they have plenty of air and don't sweat which is what gives them the ammonia smell

SeanB

Site Supporter
Possibly, I couldn't find maize flour and had seen it mentioned on here so gave it a try. It was in the Indian food section.

Silver fan 82

Maize or bran. Add a level teaspoon of garam masala and riddle them every 2-3 days. Note you are much better keeping them in a big bucket with the lid off so they have plenty of air and don't sweat which is what gives them the ammonia smell
I think that's where I went wrong Dave. I didn't give them enough air.